Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mt Tesla S75’s driver rear suspension failed while I was driving at highway speed on I-95 north on 1/15/2021. This happened out of blue, no pothole or accident etc. Suddenly, my Tesla MS was jerking violently side to side between lanes after a laud noise. I was somehow able to move this unsteerable car across 3-lane traffic and brought it to stop on the right side medium. This happened on a busy highway before MLK long weekend. Thank the many drivers who managed to avoid hitting us, I miraculously survived this incident but left severely traumatized. I had the car towed to Tesla service center and they confirmed the $3,100+ suspension damage and damages to brake line as a consequence. My Tesla MS is exact 4-years old (manufactured in 01/2017) and 60,224 miles driven, and I was told that it’s out of warrantee and I had to pay for the repair. For a Tesla to have this early suspension failure during normal driving on highway without any warning is simply unimageable. Though I am extremely luck to survive this without getting hurt, this suspension failure can easily cause major accidents and have many people killed. It’s criminal for Tesla and Musk to deny this defect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.53.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.53.21 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 398
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.45.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.45.22 PM.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 261
Mt Tesla S75’s driver rear suspension failed while I was driving at highway speed on I-95 north on 1/15/2021. This happened out of blue, no pothole or accident etc. Suddenly, my Tesla MS was jerking violently side to side between lanes after a laud noise. I was somehow able to move this unsteerable car across 3-lane traffic and brought it to stop on the right side medium. This happened on a busy highway before MLK long weekend. Thank the many drivers who managed to avoid hitting us, I miraculously survived this incident but left severely traumatized. I had the car towed to Tesla service center and they confirmed the $3,100+ suspension damage and damages to brake line as a consequence. My Tesla MS is exact 4-years old (manufactured in 01/2017) and 60,224 miles driven, and I was told that it’s out of warrantee and I had to pay for the repair. For a Tesla to have this early suspension failure during normal driving on highway without any warning is simply unimageable. Though I am extremely luck to survive this without getting hurt, this suspension failure can easily cause major accidents and have many people killed. It’s criminal for Tesla and Musk to deny this defect.
Good to hear no one was hurt.
Contact NHTSA, since you're in the USA.
Ball joints and bushings are intended to be wear parts. Suspension components shouldn't collapse.
It's becoming apparent that aluminum might have been the wrong choice for certain pieces.

Reactions: MaikWho and cwerdna
I have made the complain on NHTSA about this suspension failure. I believe that it is important to share this info with other Tesla MS owners. Also, when this happened, the car lost power significantly and moved on mostly on its inertia. I had both hands on steering wheel (a good habit on highway driving), was calm, and did not apply brake much as the car was on highway and was losing power. Since this happened at highway speed, the car dashed left and right between lanes (the stability software at work?). Though the car did not response well to steering, I had a limited control of the general direction of car movement and was able to move across 3 lanes left to right to the medium. The lessen learned is that if you are driving a Tesla M/S, keep your hands on steering wheel and do not risk your live on autopilot as this failure happens without warning.

Can't be sure 100% but the forelink breaking usually results in the wheel going back like that, so 99% sure this is what happened to you.

Pease be sure to file an NHTSA vehicle complaint. It's the only way that Tesla will eventually have to retroactively cover these repairs.

To be sure it was the forelink, stick your cell phone very low down in front of the wheel so the camera can get around the back of the wheel and shoot a picture slightly upward.

Thank you for your feedback, I filed a complaint with the NHTSA today. Dealing with Tesla service in Southern California is a mess. It's crazy to think they are a major auto manufacturer and there is NO WAY to escalate a problem. Basically, you're stuck hoping the service center solves your problem. Thanks again for the feedback and assistance!

My car failed this way yesterday, luckily my wife was in a parking lot, at low speed, so nothing happened, but I'm sure worried that this could happen again, at higher speed, I think there would be a high risk of getting killed.
It's a 2015 model, with about 100k miles on it.
IMG_20210211_172813.jpg

That really sucks, sorry to hear and glad no one was injured. File a report with your national transportation authority, maybe the EU will require a recall which could spread to North America the way the recent Chinese one did. Tesla obviously has a problem here and needs to step up.

Im a proud member of this club as well now!
IMG_20210217_173051.jpg

Heard a thump while driving down the road, thankfully I stopped to turn just a few hundred meters later and when I put in reverse another third snapped off. kind of awkward to block off the entire road.
unknown.png

2014 model s with AP
The part seems to have broken off in 2 pieces, one part broke while driving normally, and the other broke when I stopped to turn.
Looking at the parts the middle breakage seems quite oxidized, so I think I have been driving for a while with a broken part before it failed completely. (look at the colour difference between the top (old) and bottom(fresh) surface. Im so thankful this didn't happen while at speed.
IMG_20210217_185105.jpg

I wish Tesla would make a suitable revised part and ditch the whole aluminum mantra for a lightweight suspension. Some components need to be made more robust and the pivoting stress that a control arm and its links go through is clearly too much for their design. Basically anything with a joint and bushing should be re-examined by Tesla, NTHSA, and SAE..

Tesla already has a revised part.

The parts that fail are:
1041570-00-A
1041575-00-A

The revised parts are:
1041570-00-B
1041575-00-B

There are no reports of the revised part failing.

i-hxf4c9m-X5.jpg

so my car got serviced.
Front suspension lower right AFT arm broke. Part $205. I asked them to replace the same one on the other side too. + labor + wheel alignment: $1003. And yes, the parts were 1041575-00-B, and 1041570-00-B.

Those are FORE part numbers, not AFT. I paid $190 for mine. It's about 45 minutes for each side. I guess $400 for parts, $400 for labor, and $200 for alignment? Price still seems high.

I have used Triscan and Optimal brand replacement front lower control arm parts. About $100 each side. The outers like above. Replaced just because of torn bushings. I'll do more suspension replacements before going in for an alignment (inner lower control arm, upper control arm, links).

Here is a pic of the difference, the old control arm was quite a bit thicker at the ball joint and 200g heavier. Not sure if it was just thicker because this was a P85D with the Plus suspension, or all old versions were. Old part was 1041570-00-A. FRT FORE AWD LCA LH (and RH). Would seem odd the newer part is thinner at the area that would fail. *shrug*

20201111_000321.jpg

I have used Triscan and Optimal brand replacement front lower control arm parts. About $100 each side. The outers like above. Replaced just because of torn bushings. I'll do more suspension replacements before going in for an alignment (inner lower control arm, upper control arm, links).

Here is a pic of the difference, the old control arm was quite a bit thicker at the ball joint and 200g heavier. Not sure if it was just thicker because this was a P85D with the Plus suspension, or all old versions were.

The part where the old one is thicker is not where they are failing. I've also bought the Triscan for both front lower control arms for both sides and will change them in the near future :)

Tesla already has a revised part.

The parts that fail are:
1041570-00-A
1041575-00-A

The revised parts are:
1041570-00-B
1041575-00-B

There are no reports of the revised part failing.

When were the revised parts produced? I have a 7/2018 manufactured 75D and this failure has me worried a bit. Still have about 9,000 miles left on the warranty. If these were revised post my build date then I should probably just buy them for when they DO fail.

When were the revised parts produced? I have a 7/2018 manufactured 75D and this failure has me worried a bit. Still have about 9,000 miles left on the warranty. If these were revised post my build date then I should probably just buy them for when they DO fail.

I am dealing with some suspension issues on my early 2016 MS and came across this thread.

I don't know when they started producing the revised parts, but I can tell you that Tesla replaced these parts on my vehicle in June 2018 (car was just over 2 yrs old at this point).

Looks like it was covered in a service bulletin.

Attachments

• suspension.png
    suspension.png
    135 KB · Views: 157
Unfortunately, I am the latest victim in this saga. MX 11/2016 with 45k purchased CPO through Tesla just over a year ago. Parallel parking on a 1% grade. It was a driver side parking spot so I had the wheel cranked right when I heard a loud metal pop (thought I hit the car behind me as I had an unloaded bike rack on the tow hitch and thought I maybe misjudged the limited camera view), got out to check, but I was still 5-6 feet away. Attempted to drive forward and got zero movement and loud vibration/shuddering (presumably the wheel against the plastic wheel well). Driver's Front control arm (?) completely disconnected. Photos of the arm and bolt I found on the ground attached.

Currently at the TSC and just got an email that the following parts are being ordered:
HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT - Part #: 1027111-00-D
AIRSPRING MODULE FR - Part #: 1027361-00-G

Looks like these are different parts or possibly they already have all the other parts in stock and these are the only parts missing. Will update again after I get the car back (supposedly on Friday). And yes, I reported this to the DOT as my pregnant wife was in the car when this happened and is currently freaked out.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpeg
    IMG_1521.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and rns-e
Follow-up in case anyone cares. They got back to me and have determined that there was a collision or excessive wear and tear at some point (not necessarily at the time of the incident, but that was the straw the broke the camel's back). Thus, I'll have to go through insurance to get this resolved. The repairs are going to be extensive:

Front L & R Lower Fore Links
Front L & R Lower Aft Links
Front L Drive Unit Halfshaft
Front L Air Spring Module
Steering Gear Assembly

Parts come out to about $5200 and Labor another $2600. Disappointing that Tesla isn't taking ownership of these design flaws, but at least they're doing the right thing in the repairs (I think).

If the insurance pays then you should be ok, but if Tesla and your insurance says no, these are things are somewhat DIY friendly, just remember to get an alignment after you have change everything.

Just out of curiosity, why do they want to change the Air Spring? Did it get damaged?