Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow-up in case anyone cares. They got back to me and have determined that there was a collision or excessive wear and tear at some point (not necessarily at the time of the incident, but that was the straw the broke the camel's back). Thus, I'll have to go through insurance to get this resolved. The repairs are going to be extensive:

Front L & R Lower Fore Links
Front L & R Lower Aft Links
Front L Drive Unit Halfshaft
Front L Air Spring Module
Steering Gear Assembly

Parts come out to about $5200 and Labor another $2600. Disappointing that Tesla isn't taking ownership of these design flaws, but at least they're doing the right thing in the repairs (I think).
So if this is a vehicle you bought from Tesla, who took it in on trade from someone who had an accident and possibly had it fixed at a non-Tesla certified repair centre, I am surprised they actually took it in on trade. They at least did disclose it had been in a previous accident, yes?

In any case this should not be included in this thread as it is non-related to the issue.

Reactions: hiroshiy
If the insurance pays then you should be ok, but if Tesla and your insurance says no, these are things are somewhat DIY friendly, just remember to get an alignment after you have change everything.

Just out of curiosity, why do they want to change the Air Spring? Did it get damaged?
Insurance just agreed to proceed last night, thankfully.

Re: Air Spring I am pretty sure it was damaged when I tried to drive forward at the time of the aft-link disconnect. Lots of loud vibrations and I could hear the hydraulic attempting to raise the car. Probably unique to my aft-link disconnect as opposed to a fore-link? Just speculating, I know nothing about the suspension design.

• Informative
Reactions: rns-e
So if this is a vehicle you bought from Tesla, who took it in on trade from someone who had an accident and possibly had it fixed at a non-Tesla certified repair centre, I am surprised they actually took it in on trade. They at least did disclose it had been in a previous accident, yes?

In any case this should not be included in this thread as it is non-related to the issue.
I honestly don’t think it was a prior collision and just their way of weaseling out of covering the expense as a warranty repair and inflating their metrics on this known issue.

Apologies if this doesn’t apply anymore, as I haven’t been in an accident, but figured it might help someone who has a similar failure in the future.

Insurance just agreed to proceed last night, thankfully.
Good news :) But are you aware of the vehicle having a prior collision on the left front? Did you get a carfax when you bought the car?
Because if it hadn't then yes, this is more evidence of sub-standard suspension engineering and for sure thanks for sharing the information.

Good news :) But are you aware of the vehicle having a prior collision on the left front? Did you get a carfax when you bought the car?
Because if it hadn't then yes, this is more evidence of sub-standard suspension engineering and for sure thanks for sharing the information.
CarFax was clean and the report actually came with the CPO purchase. Not sure if it does with all though. If I have any more notable items to report once I receive the vehicle back, I will share here.

I am about to purchase my first Tesla and upon reviewing the service history, I have found the replacement of these parts has already taken place. (1041570-00-B and 1041575-00-B) are already installed in the car, and they replaced a bunch of other stuff (Wheel Arch Liner, Shims, Steering Rack Bolts, Afts, Sway bar)

My question to Tesla owners to whom this has happened is:

Once they repaired the vehicle, was the issue solved? Do you have any additional complaints that can stem from this issue?

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I am about to purchase my first Tesla and upon reviewing the service history, I have found the replacement of these parts has already taken place. (1041570-00-B and 1041575-00-B) are already installed in the car, and they replaced a bunch of other stuff (Wheel Arch Liner, Shims, Steering Rack Bolts, Afts, Sway bar)

My question to Tesla owners to whom this has happened is:

Once they repaired the vehicle, was the issue solved? Do you have any additional complaints that can stem from this issue?
I would say there is a better chance of Portugal annexing Spain - than believing this particular vehicle won't have more issues in the near future.

Teslas just seem to follow the path of either perfect vehicle or reliability nightmare. This is just an organic opinion - but I've owned and been following these cars for quite a few years.

Folks,

Trying to get ahead of this on my 2016 P90D. I recently had my steering rack replaced, and have noticed a single "pop" noise occasionally when I shift from drive to reverse while backing up at a steep steering angle. No idea if it's related to this or not, but I have to replace a noisy front air strut next week and this looks equally easy to replace so might as well nip it in the bud and prevent a massive failure.

Couldn't I just mark the position of the eccentric lobe (for re-alignment), remove the ball joint and inner mount, swap the arm, and set the eccentric bolt to the exact same spot?

If so, can someone just help me validate what the new reinforced part numbers are (for front and rear) that I need to order? From the Tesla EPC, it looks like the replacements are:

FRONT:
1041570-00-B
1041575-00-B

REAR:
1021416-00-D (same both sides)

Is that right?

Last edited:
Folks,

Trying to get ahead of this on my 2016 P90D. I recently had my steering rack replaced, and have noticed a single "pop" noise occasionally when I shift from drive to reverse while backing up at a steep steering angle. No idea if it's related to this or not, but I have to replace a noisy front air strut next week and this looks equally easy to replace so might as well nip it in the bud and prevent a massive failure.

Couldn't I just mark the position of the eccentric lobe (for re-alignment), remove the ball joint and inner mount, swap the arm, and set the eccentric bolt to the exact same spot?

If so, can someone just help me validate what the new reinforced part numbers are (for front and rear) that I need to order? From the Tesla EPC, it looks like the replacements are:

FRONT:
1041570-00-B
1041575-00-B

REAR:

Is that right?
Not a bad idea to replace, but the pop you hear is from the tire rubbing/getting “caught” on the fender liner and then getting “released”. I take care not to back out of my inclined driveway at such a big angle to prevent it. Sounds very bad when it happens and you can feel it in the steering wheel.
It’s also probably a contributing factor into these actual failures so the less extreme angles when reversing, the better IMO.

Not a bad idea to replace, but the pop you hear is from the tire rubbing/getting “caught” on the fender liner and then getting “released”. I take care not to back out of my inclined driveway at such a big angle to prevent it. Sounds very bad when it happens and you can feel it in the steering wheel.
It’s also probably a contributing factor into these actual failures so the less extreme angles when reversing, the better IMO.

This sound is different than the fender liner rub noise from the tire rubbing on the plastic liner fins. This is a single mechanical 'POP' when I start rolling backwards while turning....leads me to these arms as a potential cause because they experience their highest force load when the car us turning but not moving.

Folks,

FRONT:
1041570-00-B
1041575-00-B

REAR:

Is that right?

The front PN is correct, curious about the rear myself. I was told that part has not been updated. I want to check what I have next time I have the car on the lift.

Marking the eccentric will get you close, but it's no replacement for an actual alignment. Also, I don't know if the eccentric is a one time use or not. I typically replace mine on my other cars because they stretch.

Has there been a car with coil suspension that this happened to? Looked around and it looks like everyone who's had this happen is on the air suspension.
Jan 2017 S75D here with coils. I did the replacement out of pocket for the two front forelinks (i.e. 1041570-00-a → 1041570-00-b and 1041575-00-a → 1041575-00-b) out of an abundance of caution mindset. Still have the "a" parts too and wonder if it would ever make sense to send them off for an independent analysis of the metallurgy to see if there really is a defect.

My first post, wish it could have been a fun one...
My wife was just driving a couple hours ago, slow left turn out of a parking spot, and front right lower control arm broke. 2016 P90D with 46K miles, We are the 2nd owners purchased direct from Tesla with warranty. She is still waiting on the tow truck with the right gear to tow it. Very frustrating. We had no idea this was a thing. Ill share what Tesla says adn if they try to charge for the repair.
Sean