Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another front suspension failure story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Last month, something failed associated with the front stabilizer bar, and it was replaced under warranty.

Last Wednesday, as I drove away from the local SC, something began making a loud "creaking" noise on the right side of the vehicle. It was too late to go back to the SC. The creaking noise (think wood floor with loose boards) was loudest at first, but gradually got quieter with time. The noise occurred going over rough streets, no noise when turning unless the street was rough.

Ride-along troubleshooting by spouse and daughter over the weekend traced the noise to the front of the right passenger door or forward of that. By now, the noise was barely audible. I took the vehicle back to the SC on Monday, and a tech barely heard the noise in a ride-along but had no idea what was causing it. He took the vehicle into the shop and tried tightening some door bolts, and somehow actually made the noise worse.

The vehicle went into the shop Tuesday, and I got it back today. Verdict: failed right front air spring module. It was never apparent that the front right was lower than any other corner.

So, if you start hearing creaking from what appears to be the front of the doors or further forward, go have an SC check it.

Verdict: failed right front air spring module. It was never apparent that the front right was lower than any other corner.

So, if you start hearing creaking from what appears to be the front of the doors or further forward, go have an SC check it.
Had the same noise from the front left. And the verdict and replacement was the same at about 11k miles back in July. Oddly the noise and correction was on the front left but that part number looks suspiciously like the front right. Hope that is just a coincidence or typo.:eek:

Concern: there is a noise coming from rear/front of car like a "strut or bearing is loose"
Pay Type: Goodwill
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
road tested and verified concern.
Corrections: Air Spring Module - Front - LH
replaced the Air Spring Module - Front - LH
Part Quantity
AIR SPRING MODULE FR (1027361-25-E) 1

Had the same noise from the front left. And the verdict and replacement was the same at about 11k miles back in July. Oddly the noise and correction was on the front left but that part number looks suspiciously like the front right. Hope that is just a coincidence or typo.:eek:
Hmmm... Could ‘FR’ just be FRont. :). Dang acronyms or abbreviations (whichever this really is, lol!).

Glad I went with coil springs ... is anyone concerned about the cost of air spring replacement when out of warranty? :cool:
I have no experience with Tesla, my MX 100D is being delivered tomorrow. Way back around 2008, I had a Audio Allroad quarto with air suspension. Audio had to replace both front units over a 1-year period at a cost of over $2K to me each time. The Audi never came away from the dealership service without a bill that was always over $3K, apparently quite common for Audi/VW brands. When it was time to replace the car, we never went back to any Audi/VW brand. For the MX, I will purchase the extended warranty and hope that Tesla quality and service is better than Audi.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have no experience with Tesla, my MX 100D is being delivered tomorrow. Way back around 2008, I had a Audio Allroad quarto with air suspension. Audio had to replace both front units over a 1-year period at a cost of over $2K to me each time. The Audi never came away from the dealership service without a bill that was always over $3K, apparently quite common for Audi/VW brands. When it was time to replace the car, we never went back to any Audi/VW brand. For the MX, I will purchase the extended warranty and hope that Tesla quality and service is better than Audi.

It's a lot of fun taking delivery of a Tesla, but don't sign any acceptance papers until you look at your new MX very carefully at the delivery. Don't expect that the Tesla folks have fully prepared the vehicle. Go over all the body work you can for any flaws (bring a flashlight). Make sure all the doors work properly and without any squeaks. Look at the alignment of the door handles on each side between the falcon wing door and the front door (they should line up back to front, mine didn't). Make sure all the seat adjustments work, including the mid-seats fore/aft motion and the far back seat releases. Check that the steering wheel adjustments in/out, up/down, work. Ask if the falcon wing door seals have been updated for the water-drain-into-the-interior issue when the door is opened after/during a rainy day.

Be prepared to walk away from the car if anything is wrong, forcing them to get their act together and fix everything before delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks, took flashlight and Model X check list and spent almost two hours with final inspection, no problems and I am pleased to say, this car was in better condition than any of the three MB S classes I have purchased before the Model X. We have now driven 300 miles and everything is working perfectly. So far, with 40 years of buying new cars, Tesla has been the best new car delivery we have ever had. We hope this remains true so that we can again consider Tesla in 2019 when it comes time to replace our MB S550e.

Thanks, took flashlight and Model X check list and spent almost two hours with final inspection, no problems and I am pleased to say, this car was in better condition than any of the three MB S classes I have purchased before the Model X. We have now driven 300 miles and everything is working perfectly. So far, with 40 years of buying new cars, Tesla has been the best new car delivery we have ever had. We hope this remains true so that we can again consider Tesla in 2019 when it comes time to replace our MB S550e.

Hooray! That’s good news. It makes liking the vehicle much easier.

My fronts just failed and Tesla is saying it will be $2600 even though I am still under the 4 yr/50K extended warranty. Does that sound right to you all? Feel like an air strut failure should be a warranty item even though it is, I guess, a consumable...

My fronts just failed and Tesla is saying it will be $2600 even though I am still under the 4 yr/50K extended warranty. Does that sound right to you all? Feel like an air strut failure should be a warranty item even though it is, I guess, a consumable...
You have the full warranty extension, or were you referring to the drivetrain warranty? If the former, perhaps they did not notice it and need a reminder. I assume there is a deductible,~$200