Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another great forward thinking move by Tesla regarding Model 3 reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am definitely a Tesla fan and just am very impressed not only on how amazing the cars they make but also the various business decisions that they have followed.

I was just thinking of even the act of allowing Tesla employees to have first dibs in reservation actually has a lot of beneficial moves for the company.

Apart from the obvious reason of paying tribute/rewarding the employees that likely up until this point could not afford to purchase the cars they make, the real advantage I see for Tesla would be quality control. You can bet that when employees are working on their, or their coworker's vehicle, they are going to be hypervigilant, looking for any possible flaws, defects and other issues that might crop up as a first run production of a new vehicle. Also any potential early flaws would essentially be kept in house before such mistakes could be broadcast by the media looking for any story they can on Tesla.

I am sure the employees receive a discount on these cars compared to normal customer base, so rather than take the more profitable route of getting regular customers right from the beginning, they chose the less profitable way. But in the long run I do think this will pay off (higher employee satisfaction that the company is looking out for them, etc).

I suspect that Tesla also considered the fact that Tesla and Space X employees will be more forgiving if they encounter production/quality control problems than your average off-the-street buyer. The same is probably true, though maybe to a lesser extent, current S and X owners. Musk said that one of the reasons for west coast deliveries happening first is that the cars will be closer to the factory, which makes it easier to address any potential problems. Essentially the same idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
I am definitely a Tesla fan and just am very impressed not only on how amazing the cars they make but also the various business decisions that they have followed.

I was just thinking of even the act of allowing Tesla employees to have first dibs in reservation actually has a lot of beneficial moves for the company.

Apart from the obvious reason of paying tribute/rewarding the employees that likely up until this point could not afford to purchase the cars they make, the real advantage I see for Tesla would be quality control. You can bet that when employees are working on their, or their coworker's vehicle, they are going to be hypervigilant, looking for any possible flaws, defects and other issues that might crop up as a first run production of a new vehicle. Also any potential early flaws would essentially be kept in house before such mistakes could be broadcast by the media looking for any story they can on Tesla.

I am sure the employees receive a discount on these cars compared to normal customer base, so rather than take the more profitable route of getting regular customers right from the beginning, they chose the less profitable way. But in the long run I do think this will pay off (higher employee satisfaction that the company is looking out for them, etc).

the moment i heard that employees were going to get first dibs i thought, well that's actually good. If they have issues they'll definitely be more tolerable. In addition, the same logic applies to previous owners who have already gone through these trials before. As for discounts, there won't be any for employees. Elon doesn't believe in it.

I'd sign an NDA if they'd be willing to send me one earlier. Although let's call it what it would be, a Non (publicly) B!tching Agreement.

I know it won't happen, but one can hope. Especially as a non-owner on the east coast.

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx