Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Another) Gutters Thread - Roofer Saying Not Allowed to work on Solar Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Apologies for another gutter thread but I am dealing with feels like an unusual situation. We had our Solar Roof installed about 2 years ago. Gutters weren't redone (mistake, I now know but wasn't aware at the time). Long tstory short, they are leaking in a couple of places (due to age, not Tesla related) and we had a highly regarded gutter/roofing person come out. He said that he isn't authorized to work on Solar Roofs due to the flashing being so deep into the roof that replacing the gutter runs the risk of damaging the tiles and/or voiding the warranty on the roof. I had never considered this and am struggling with what do to here? He said he had reached out to Tesla multiple times to try and get "authorzed" to work on Solar roofs but they have been unresponsive (of course). So as I sit here, i think my options are 1) Get Tesla to somehow authorize this particular contractor to work on the roof, though I wouldn't even know where to begin. or 2) Find an alternate contractor to do the work, who likely won't be as good (this guy is amazing) and may or may not damage the roof.

We're in the Bay Area (Oakland area) and would appreciate any guidance or recommendations. Thanks!

Have you thought of calling Tesla?

As far as I know, good gutter installation requires getting back up under the water resistant roof layer(s) so the tile overhangs the gutter edge so water drains over the gutter edge into the gutter.

Good luck.

BG