Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "Help me choose" P85 vs. 85D vs. 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.

I'm in the process of making the financial arrangements to buy a CPO/Used MS. I had originally planned on a P85 or P85+, but after some thinking, I don't REALLY care about 0-60, and they all seem to handle about the same. I do want the air suspension for the ride quality it seems to provide, though.

I will be making regular trips from Nashville, TN to Jackson, MS in this car. Before, I thought I would NEED the 85KWH battery, but for some reason it looks like the 70D can go darn near as far as the P85 can... And for roughly the same price, I seem to be able to get AP and all the other fun features the P85 doesn't have. I'm also considering an 85D, but as the 70D seems to be cheaper (and, like, available), I'd love to be able to consider it.

EV Trip Planner seems to think a 70D can make the trip if I go through Birmingham and am very patient with the charger there. I tend to drive around 75-80, though, and it seems to only just barely make the leg from Nashville to Birmingham. EV Trip Planner also says a P85 would make the trip in about the same amount of charging in Birmingham (but at a greater energy use.)

Does AWD really gain that much efficiency? Would anyone here make this trip in a 70D and not be uncomfortable for the leg between Birmingham and Nashville? Am I smoking crack thinking this is actually possible in a 70D?

Obviously price is a concern, but if I really need to spend another $15K or so on the 85D, I have no issues doing so. The 85D appears to be just about as quick as the P85, and I think i've decided I really want to go ahead and have AWD for the other benefits. (Such as not sliding off the road in the rain/snow/sleet/whateverelse)

As far as other options go, I'm not too picky. I'd like air suspension and pano roof. If i can't get the HiFi sound system, i'll just install my own stuff.

I apologize if this is rambly... Just trying to get an idea of what I need to believe from Ev Trip Planner and such.

Thank you to everyone here!

I paid 67k for my 85D I wanted the better handling, the D really helps with acceleration out of the turn.. 0-60 is nice, AP, SAS, and all the extra features sealed the deal. The 85 was more available in the CPO flavors I wanted.
My .02
SAS is so worth it.
Get the Stereo so you don't have to mess with aftermarket..
Pano Roof is just awesome for what I wanted.
I had a P85 loaner and I really missed the dual motor.. so that really helped. Go to the showroom they may have a few to let you test drive.

Heads up though.. Often buying CPO is sight unseen, so it is a leap of faith.. but FWIW Tesla took care of any of my issues during the CPO process.

As RichardD noted, the D models are far better coming out of corners. I drive aggressively and never liked the way my P85's tail would jump when I hit the accelerator coming out of a turn. The P85D, even with more power, has never had this problem. If you don't drive hard, it's a moot point, but otherwise, go with a D.

@FlyingCookie,

When taking long trips, having the biggest battery you can afford is a very nice luxury. It gives you more options to drive faster, use the heater, take side trips or detours, and it requires less time charging during the day.

Since you can afford the 85D, I think that will provide the best value for your useage, and the highest satisfaction.

GSP

PS. The quicker acceleration, roughly equivalent to the P85, is also nice, even if you only use it occasionally. Compared to the P85, the D has Tesla's next generation motor/drive unit design. It should be more energy efficient and more reliable.

Reactions: RichardD
I would go 85D, skip SAS and HiFi sound to compensate a bit for budget. I have 2 Ss one with both options and one without. To me the HiFi just adds more bass and is not a huge enough improvement to justify its price. I can't really tell that much of a diff either in ride quality with SAS. The only time I notice it is when I want to make sure I'm clearing curbs during parking. I just use it because I have it on the one car. On the other car I've not had an issue parking, I'm just a bit more thoughtful when parking. I'd get SAS if you know you regularly have to park on a steep driveway. I'd go 85D over 70D because the added range will be worth the reduced stress on your trip.

My 2 cents...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I've heard that the coils and SAS ride about the same, but I do regularly encounter speed bumps/driveways that make having SAS very much worth the money. I wish my current car had it, as I drag the bumper over the bump to get into my friend's driveway nearly every time i park there.

It seems that I should go ahead and avoid the 70D and just shoot for the 85D, which is what I figured everyone would say. I refuse to finance more than $50k, so the difference in cost really will be a time thing instead of a financial thing. I'll have to save money for another month or two to make up the difference, but that'll have the added benefit of seeing CPO prices drop a little more. All a 70D would do is get me in the car a few months sooner, but i'm not sure i want to have to hypermile every time I make the trip from Mississippi to Nashville just to have the "luxury" of doing that sooner. o_O

So, it sounds like I'll just save up a bit longer and get an 85D with all of its autopilot glory... And then use that autopilot glory to make 400-500 mile trips every weekend for work to basically make the car payment each month. :D

Reactions: davidc18
I think that the D has different gearing between the front and the rear
so it is optimized for providing more power to the rear during acceleration
and more power to the front when cruising on highway or freeway.

My first choice would be to get an 85 D with coil springs and no other options.

Whatever I get will have the other options like SAS and the panoramic roof. If I have to wait a little longer/pay a little more, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not in any screaming hurry to get in a Model S, but I do want to try and retain as much of the luxury of my Cadillac as I can. (Sunroof, stereo, etc)

The P85 is the best bargain of the CPO stock, but unless you're a die-hard fan of overpowered RWD, go with 85D. It will be easier to live with.

My current car is pushing the "overpowered RWD" category, but you have to try to make it break traction. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a P85, though, due to the instant torque... Sounds like a lot of instant slip in the rain, if i'm not careful. I'm about 95% sure I'll get an 85D, UNLESS a STUPID good deal on a P85 that has autopilot comes along. (I know they're rare, but they do exist and I see them pop up every now and then)

The pano roof is definitely worth a wait. Significantly more headroom, especially for rear passengers. (Like 2-3 inches more.)

Exactly the reason I want it, too. I have friends/coworkers that will be in the back seat a good bit, and I enjoy the added headroom up front. The P100DL with the glass roof I drove was perfect, but pano is a good second choice. The body colored roof makes the car more cozy than I like.