Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another highway noise thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely the seal on the little wing window on the front doors needs to be adjusted or replaced. This is the little triangular window ahead main door windows up by the mirrors. That would be the first place I (or service center) should look.

Ok guys I love my X. But the highway its loud as crap. Especially when other cars or trucks drive by, so I want to know did you guys have this issue, and what did you do to fix it!
I feel your pain brotha!

literally took my car in to Tesla like a few weeks after getting it because the noise coming from the falcon wing door area was so bad and they claimed that it was within spec, argh!

i'm coming from Lexus where it's like driving around in a tomb...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Most likely the seal on the little wing window on the front doors needs to be adjusted or replaced. This is the little triangular window ahead main door windows up by the mirrors. That would be the first place I (or service center) should look.

This.

Go through the Model X checklist (search the forum) and make sure your windows are properly installed. A small adjustment might make a world of difference!

Based on your note that the issue is exacerbated when other loud vehicles drive by, this is most likely the issue.

The road/wind noise in the Model X is a joke for a $100k+ car, even a BMW/MB entry level car has less noise.

I've visited service center a few times for noise issues. front window wind noise, window squeak, falcon door noise... and front window motor issue.

It's still not perfect, front window still squeaks, but I gave up. I got used to it. I'll just have it fixed next time something major pops up.

the convenience of electric car and driving pleasure overcome those small issues

I asked my service center about after market sound deadening and they didn't recommend it. They said it adds to much weight to the doors, so the automatic doors dont work right. I dont know if anyone has ever done it on an X and what the results are ?? Anyone?

i honestly wouldn't mind if my car was 100lbs. heavier due to increased sound proofing.

i'm talking about asphalt pads in the doors, panels, under the floor and double pane glass everywhere!!! they have the chairs made at Futuris which also does sound proofing...don't see why they don't use those products as well.

Solutions (mentioned in the "interior trim" paragraph)

You are not alone! This still drives me crazy a year into MX ownership. I can say that I think I've narrowed it down to mostly tire/road noise that really bothers me. I have a stretch of highway on my daily commute the has a varying road surface that goes back and forth between a roughly finished concrete and asphalt. On the asphalt, the car is very very quiet - Lexus 460 quiet. On the rough concrete the noise volume is so loud the stereo has to be turned up two numbers to be heard. I have the Contislient tires, so there is nothing else to do on tires.

I am looking for a solution that is a floor liner or under floor liner to deaden the sound to see if that is where the noise is coming from. Recommendations?

Even if I find a solution to that, there is still the noise of vehicles around you that comes through the doors/windows/seals. I would like to find a better window seal solution to see if that does it. If not, I've seen solutions in other vehicles using dynamat in the doors: Cutting down resonance and road noise Seems like a possible solution,but, I have no skills and would need to pay someone to install that. Experiences with dynamat? Installer?

Yes, it is frustrating to spend 6 figs on a car that isn't well insulated from common noises. However, this is a relatively young car company in a new model car and I assumed there would be some things missing that probably should be there...risk of early adoption in other words.