Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "how quickly we forget" story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Got into my SUV this morning for the first time in about 2 months, to help my daughter move some stuff to a new apartment.

1. Open door, sit in driver's seat. Oh yeah, need the key. Reach into pocket.
2. Shift into reverse. On go the wipers.

Or worse, this happened to me a while back: Go to lunch in company car while out with co-workers. Finish eating lunch. Realize I can't find the keys to the car. Wonder if I left them in the car.

Yes. I did. With the car running the entire time we were eating.

After my accident with a deer, I spent the next few weeks driving my other cars, including my 4-speed Pontiac GTO. First day I got my Tesla back I kept reaching down to shift.

Or worse, this happened to me a while back: Go to lunch in company car while out with co-workers. Finish eating lunch. Realize I can't find the keys to the car. Wonder if I left them in the car.

I did that with a rental car a couple of times over the past couple of years - and yes, wipers too.

Yes, I do that as well, but never once have even come close to getting out of an ICE an leaving it running.

I sadly admit to doing that with a rented Prius and found out 4 hours later when a company wide email went out from the receptionist to the company I was visiting.

"There is a black Prius parked in the visitor spots that keeps turning on and off every hour" How embarrassing as the guys I was working with had to tell me...

I am sometimes disappointed to see the "fixed" door handles on my ICE. Need that small satisfaction of the handles popping out right before my hand reaches it.

I'm the opposite. I find the door handles "gimmicky" and could easily live without them. I don't like how they all retract when I unlock the car (Safety concern. Why can't just the driver's come out, and the rest upon touching or a second click on the remote?) I don't like how they retract usually just as the person I'm picking up at the curb reaches out to open the door. I don't like how they "sometimes" don't work properly (fail to open the door; snap back in rapidly, then re-extend) just infrequently enough that Tesla can't find a problem and they behave perfectly whenever I try to video it. I didn't like how doors would spontaneously open sometimes, although that was remedied when Tesla replaced all 4. I just think they are way too complicated for the intended purpose.

I did this also.
Rented and ICE car to visit relatives. Went to the grocery store. When I returned there was a family standing around the car looking confused. I had left the car running and the radio on.

I had a rental car last week for a business trip. Been probably a year since I drove something other than my Model S. I managed to leave the car on and the key in it all night in the parking lot of the hotel. Oops.

Not my finest moment, and pretty dangerous and stupid. Luckily it was parked outdoors, so didn't fill a garage with CO.

I use my wife's MB SUV to transport my paddleboard or kayak when I go fishing. I keep am iPhone checklist for my gear to review before I push off (PFD, first aid kit, water, anchors, etc). After a couple of times leaving the car unlocked, I've added "lock the car" as the last item on my list.

i also cannot count the number of times I have gotten into the car, put my foot on the brake , try to put the car into drive (fortunately her car has the same drive stalk as the Model S) and wonder why - for just a couple of seconds- there is nothing happening. It seems so primitive to be required to push all of those buttons to accomplish these tasks.

Finally, my wife always reminds me to "turn off the car" whenever we are driving in her car and park it somewhere.

These new habits die hard!

I'm the opposite. I find the door handles "gimmicky" and could easily live without them. I don't like how they all retract when I unlock the car (Safety concern. Why can't just the driver's come out, and the rest upon touching or a second click on the remote?) I don't like how they retract usually just as the person I'm picking up at the curb reaches out to open the door. I don't like how they "sometimes" don't work properly (fail to open the door; snap back in rapidly, then re-extend) just infrequently enough that Tesla can't find a problem and they behave perfectly whenever I try to video it. I didn't like how doors would spontaneously open sometimes, although that was remedied when Tesla replaced all 4. I just think they are way too complicated for the intended purpose.

That definitely sounds like a pain. Luckily I haven't had those issues (yet) and it works as expected. In terms of being way too complicated, I'm sure they have mastered it enough and decided the benefits outweigh the downsides to keep the same handles in Model X.