Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another LR Model Y Tire Thread - Gemini with Occasional Mountain Trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

First post. Taking delivery of LR Model Y next month. Chose 19". Comfortable with that decision as 90%+ driving will be in and around San Francisco.

However...we ski. So a few times per year the 50 can get a little gnarly. Much less the 89.

I will do anything to avoid chains. Hate chains. Like driving by everyone else stopped to put on their chains. This has not been an issue with our 2017 RAV4 awd, which does just fine on random M+S tires.

I am getting the sense that the oem Continentals might not do as well (?). So wondering:

1. Any experience on them, especially going over Echo in the snow?

2. Has anyone opted to switch to - say - Quatrac Pro - immediately upon delivery?

Appreciate thoughts. I know there are similar threads but didn't see that question asked.

The Quatrac Pro performs well in winter driving on wet roads and is good on snow covered roads. The Michelin Cross Climate 2 would perform better in snow conditions. The OE Procontact RX performs poorly in snow conditions. (I won't drive my Model Y with the Procontact tires when there is snow, will replace when needed with the Quatrac Pro.)

Until you sort this out consider taking the RAV4 on ski trips.

The Quatrac Pro performs well in winter driving on wet roads and is good on snow covered roads. The Michelin Cross Climate 2 would perform better in snow conditions. The OE Procontact RX performs poorly in snow conditions. (I won't drive my Model Y with the Procontact tires when there is snow, will replace when needed with the Quatrac Pro.)

Until you sort this out consider taking the RAV4 on ski trips.
Thanks. One car only in our building, unfortunately. May just bite the bullet and switch to QPs immediately (pending learning more about efficiency).

Snow socks are something to throw in the car, could get you up a hill but can't be driven at speeds over 25 MPH or longer than a 1 to 2 miles before starting to fray.

There is a recent post that shows very good efficiency (better than OE Continentals) with the Quatrac Pro but prior information was about 4% lower efficiency (a reasonable trade off.) Might be a but noisier than the OE tires because the Quatracs do not have the sound treatment foam liner.

Snow socks are something to throw in the car, could get you up a hill but can't be driven at speeds over 25 MPH or longer than a 1 to 2 miles before starting to fray.

There is a recent post that shows very good efficiency (better than OE Continentals) with the Quatrac Pro but prior information was about 4% lower efficiency (a reasonable trade off.) Might be a but noisier than the OE tires because the Quatracs do not have the sound treatment foam liner.
Thinking I will just buy the QPs for Nov - May, switch back to Continental for summer (unless it turns out there is really no downside with the QPs). Dumb up front expense, but in theory both sets last 2x longer.

Just have to figure out where to store them.

Thanks for the help.