Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model 3 owner was able to unlock mine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work in a building where they have chargers for electric cars in the parking lot and my black model 3 was parked, charging. There was another model 3 a few meters away parked, not charging.

I was on a phone call on the second floor of my office building looking by the window where I could see my car. Someone just walked up to my car and opened the door!

I ran downstairs and as I approached, she stepped out of my car confusedly said, that's not my car?!

She then apologized walk over to the other model 3, unlocked it, and drove off.

Has anyone heard anything like this before?

I almost had a heart attack

...Has anyone heard anything like this before?...

It happens with traditional car locks to minimize costs so there are only about 3,500 different combinations then they'll reuse a prior used combination.

However, there should be many more combinations electronically with your car.

You could call Service Center to get a car log to see whether your car was locked prior to your phone call and unlocked during your phone call or was it always unlocked prior and during your phone call.

I would try additional experimentation.

Like try placing your phone close to the car, but on the 2nd story. That would be to test if the phone proximity is close enough that it unlocks.

I would also try checking the app to make sure its locked after walking away. Or use confirmation like setting it so the light blinks to confirm when it's locking.

I was at a supercharger a few weeks ago. The Model 3 driver next to me walked away. When they came back, they were surprised to find their car unlocked even though the doors were closed. I suggested he check his trunk. Sure enough the trunk was open and prevented the car from locking. Like others suggested, maybe you accidentally left a door or the trunk open.

I work in a building where they have chargers for electric cars in the parking lot and my black model 3 was parked, charging. There was another model 3 a few meters away parked, not charging.

I was on a phone call on the second floor of my office building looking by the window where I could see my car. Someone just walked up to my car and opened the door!

I ran downstairs and as I approached, she stepped out of my car confusedly said, that's not my car?!

She then apologized walk over to the other model 3, unlocked it, and drove off.

Has anyone heard anything like this before?

I almost had a heart attack
Uhm, the next time you see that Model 3, leave a note asking if she'd like to do some testing to make sure your keycards can't open each other's doors.

It happens with traditional car locks to minimize costs so there are only about 3,500 different combinations then they'll reuse a prior used combination.

First, a couple of anecdotes....

Years ago, I owned a 1992 Saturn SL, and one day at the mall, I walked up to what I believed was my car, unlocked the trunk, and was shocked to see it filled with stuff I didn't recognize. I looked around and realized that my car was parked a few spots down; I'd opened a stranger's car by accident. I had noticed that the key seemed a little rough in the lock, so perhaps it wasn't an exact match, but it was close enough to open the trunk. This was the one and only time I ever put my car's key in another car's lock.

My grandmother used to like to tell the story of a friend of hers who drove the wrong car home before realizing it wasn't her car. Again, the key must have matched, or at least been close enough to turn the ignition.

Back to the main point....

As I understand it, Tesla's phone-as-key system works off the Bluetooth unique identifier, which is a 48-bit address, so in theory there should be 2^48 (or about 28,000,000,000) Bluetooth addresses, which are assigned systematically in such a way that there should be no duplicates. (I don't know about Bluetooth specifically, but I know that sometimes duplicates do happen with Ethernet MAC addresses, which are also 48-bit, because of manufacturer errors.) I don't know offhand if Tesla's phone-as-key functionality relies on any handshaking beyond matching the Bluetooth address; if it does, that would further reduce the odds of this sort of thing happening. Thus, I see three possibilities for what happened to @repoman100 (an ironic username, given the nature of this incident):
  • You've stumbled across a serious Tesla bug
  • You and the person who accessed your car have phones with identical Bluetooth addresses, against all odds
  • The car was actually unlocked, for reasons others have articulated or for some other reason
Personally, I'd try to track down the woman who got into your car and do some experiments -- put your phone into airplane mode and see if she can unlock your car, and also check both your phones' Bluetooth addresses. (I don't see an obvious way to do this in Android, but there's got to be an app that'll reveal the information.) As @GregRF said, if you use TeslaFi, then it can show you whether your car is locked at any given moment, too; although that's not displayed by default in the raw data screen, you can add it as a header.

Oh, one more point: Before I bought my Model 3, I was concerned that the phone-as-key function would have too great a range, but it doesn't. I normally leave my phone in my kitchen, at a location that's between 3 feet and 40 feet from my car, depending on where I park, albeit with at least one wall between the two. (I park outside in a driveway, but I have no garage.) Even when the car is parked as close as possible to my phone, it's not close enough to unlock the car; I need to be more-or-less within touching distance of the car for my phone to work as a key. Thus, I'm skeptical that a phone would work as a key from the interior second floor of a building, although I can't rule out the possibility that your phone's Bluetooth signal is stronger than mine and might therefore work, or that the Model 3's antenna is oriented such that it's more sensitive to a phone above it than one at roughly hip height. FWIW, here's a YouTube video that tests how far away a phone can be and still function as a key (albeit with a sample size of one, which limits the strength of conclusions to be drawn):

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Look at your app and see if it says Phone Key Connected. If you can easily see the car, odd are that it was connected.

It's indeed an issue, but there hasn't seemed to be a huge backlash. It's a big problem for people who park on the streets and the car still sees the key.

I do wish that there was some ability to easily mitigate the issue.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy