Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model 3 price increase? RWD up by $2K? [posted 03/14/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did it just jump by $2K?
1647318213958.png

Reactions: enemji
Wow this car has become very expensive. The Model 3 performance is over $80k in Canada now.
It's not just Tesla I am afraid. The entire car industry is out of control, especially if you have to pay dealer markups. Donut Media has a good video on this as some people in California are seeing $20K dealer markup on a new $32K Honda Civic SI. AWD M3 is now approaching $100K. I have to start thinking about a used car soon (like within the next 3-6 months) for my teenage son and the days of a decent used car for $8-12K are over. People are paying $15-20K for high mileage pieces of junk. So now I wrestle with spending just a few thousand more for a low $20K new car with safety and tech. If I can even find one.

Reactions: XPsionic
Just out of curiosity.. I own a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe (PHEV) that is less than a year old. Checking their website the list price is almost $3K higher now than it was less than a year ago for the base model. It also looks like the options/packages also went up, so it's more like $5-6K more now for a comparable equipped Wrangler 4xe than it was about 8 months ago. I bet if you look across other popular makes and models you will find the same thing. Inflation, shortages/constraints, etc. It's hitting everyone.

man I feel lucky. at least I know I won't be losing too much money if I have to sell mine asap
Good to remember Tesla earns like 25% per vehicle, higher than any manufacturer. That just means they set higher prices.

I checked my area for a Tesla CPO Model 3 and a 2018 SR+ is the cheapest at $44,000 with 29,000 miles. No FSD or other upgrades except paint color. I’d love to be the one who paid under $44k OTD, got $7,500 tax incentive, drove the car for years, and then sold it for above original full purchase price.

May I note that compared to EV’s available or soon available, the Model 3 is no longer the obvious choice (or bargain) that it once was. I thought Tesla would eventually lose its grip on the market.

I'm in Canada though so it doesn't apply as we pay MSRP.
Good to remember Tesla earns like 25% per vehicle, higher than any manufacturer. That just means they set higher prices.

I checked my area for a Tesla CPO Model 3 and a 2018 SR+ is the cheapest at $44,000 with 29,000 miles. No FSD or other upgrades except paint color. I’d love to be the one who paid under $44k OTD, got $7,500 tax incentive, drove the car for years, and then sold it for above original full purchase price.

May I note that compared to EV’s available or soon available, the Model 3 is no longer the obvious choice (or bargain) that it once was. I thought Tesla would eventually lose its grip on the market.
They still have the best charging network to hang their hat on but I am surprised how quickly legacy automakers have shifted to EV as a good amount of alternatives are now available and many of them for less money. Every year going forward there will be more and more alternatives.

Reactions: enemji
I'm in Canada though so it doesn't apply as we pay MSRP.

They still have the best charging network to hang their hat on but I am surprised how quickly legacy automakers have shifted to EV as a good amount of alternatives are now available and many of them for less money. Every year going forward there will be more and more alternatives.
Inevitably and hopefully not too soon, the supercharger network will work for any EV.

Oh well, we must progress! Human ingenuity and the entrepreneurial spirit will solve the issues we see as deal breakers. Wireless ultra fast charging for solid state batteries that go 600 miles… and I’ll be saying “in my day, if a supercharger cable was tied in a knot that meant it was currently broken.”

So glad we bought our 2021 M3 SR+ with 10k miles from a third party, even with Vroom being a tepid experience. We initally saved about $2500 from what a 2022 cost brand new with the same paint color and sport wheels. I do still have a 2022 reservation from last month I haven’t canceled yet. You can actually sell those??