Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model S feature wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost forgot one.

Find My Tesla
-- In the event your tesla is stolen, send an All Systems Kill/Theft Mode command to the car that will lock all functions, initiate a 911 emergency call, and transmit GPS location, along with a loud audible horn and flashing lights.

Not sure if it's possible to steal a Tesla with some of the ideas some of have...but just in case!

Especially since the car isn't coming out for at least 2 years, I would hope the Model S has many of the same features (like solar roof..etc) as the Prius given that it costs twice as much. This is going to be one cool car and can be a tech breakthrough I think if done correctly. They may have to cut back some as they're trying to keep price down.

The remote AC would be nice, but the solar roof, in particular, could be great if it powerers a battery cooling system or at least helped keep the pack cool in very hot weather.

The way it's wired in the Prius the solar roof does NOTHING except power the vents when the car is OFF and sitting in the hot sun. The rest of the time you're hauling around about 65lbs of PV roof that does nothing. If Tesla could harness that power to help run accessories, fans, etc., while the car is in use, it might help extend range a tad.

That's a nice feature idea and should be easily implemented in software given the Model S interface. More likely to work from your iPhone than a key fob, though.

Some sort of iPhone app to monitor car location, status of battery charging...etc would be cool too.

Will the car have Wifi though?

Folding Keys
-- Keys that fold into the fob with push button release. (VW/Audi)

Push Button Start
-- When key fob is present in cabin, START is enabled. No key needs to be inserted.
Kind of defeats the purpose then doesn't it? Unless you mean the other key would be used for like trunk access etc.

Key Fob iPhone App
-- An application for the iPhone that can completely take the place of the *optional* upgraded key fob. And bring real time information to the driver about the car even while on vacation.

Great idea, but again, I think this would require Wifi no? And maintaining a wifi connection could be battery consuming, not to mention buggy when it comes to maintaining connections -- and NO connection when out and about.

I guess if zipcar did it though, they can as well somehow.

New Clean Layout for Infotainment.
-- More along the lines of an iPhone (see attached below)*

Beautiful Startup Tones.
-- Having the car greet you and welcome you to tesla
-- With the ability to be customized.

Ditto all these

I wouldn't think it would require WiFi but not sure. Since they're planning on putting a 3G cell phone receiver in the Model S, your iPhone would simply connect to the internet then some sort of interface with the Model S would need to happen.

@AnOutsider: Good point.

To elaborate; the key would be neatly tucked away in the fob (similar to VW/Audi) but would be used in the event of battery failure on the fob. The driver would use the actual key to unlock the Model S.

And the actual point of insertion may perhaps, as you said, live on the trunk or some other semi-hidden part of the car.

@dsm363: You are correct and this is how I perceive my suggested iPhone App would talk to the Model S!

The Model S will make the best iPhone accessory in history.

Ditto!

@vfx

Oh, I totally agree! The only option the key would serve is for emergency and battery problems.

EM said he wants the fob to send a signal to the car to unlock and extend the door handles when the driver get "x distance" near the car.

The only problem with that is what If I only want the driver side door to be unlocked and handle to extend. For me. this is a need wether for security or convenience.

I prefer "selective unlocking" as was detailed earlier.

Any thoughts?

What should the Model S keyfob look like? Oval, Square, Triangle/Diamond?

Should it have proximity sensors or user-controlled buttons or both?

Many options, eh?

I threw together some basic layouts/diagrams of two suggested "Tesla SmartFobs". See attached below. There are very 1-D. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Tesla SmartFob - TF1.pdf
    349.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Tesla SmartFob - TF2.pdf
    349.4 KB · Views: 159
I just don't get the retracting door handles. They couldn't possibly improve aerodynamics by any significant amount and they've gotta cause all sorts of added cost and complication.

And about the keyless entry - that of course is an absolute must - every new car I know of has this very basic feature.

@xcelero.ii: The TF2 is my preference, I like the oval shape. Also I might suggest the "lock" button be raised, the "unlock" and "climate" buttons lowered, and then I'd dispense with the "trunk" button.

I really don't like the idea of placing a "trunk" button on a keyfob, although some manufacturers do it - the button can accidentally get pressed when the keyfob is in your pocket making the trunk pop open, but the trunk cannot close and relock itself automatically. It's just inviting theives to come inside. Accidentally unlocking the doors is never a problem because they automatically lock themselves after a few seconds - but the trunk can't.

I like the climate control function and display panel. It would be nice while waiting for the car to charge up at a mall or restaurant to be able to glance at the key fob and confirm that it's charging and how much time is left. Being able to remotely start the A/C will be a very handy feature as well here since it gets awfully hot in the summer!

Last edited:
What should the Model S keyfob look like? Oval, Square, Triangle/Diamond?

Should it have proximity sensors or user-controlled buttons or both?

Many options, eh?

I threw together some basic layouts/diagrams of two suggested "Tesla SmartFobs". See attached below. There are very 1-D. :biggrin:

I like TF2.. especially the little LCD. Would be cool to have it be a color screen like say an iPod vs a simple monochrome LCD.

Not a fan of auto-lowering hatch. I'm capable of closing my own doors thank you very much :)

Maybe someone from TM will read your posts and decide to hire you as a UI designer ;)

@johnr: I love the retracting door handles!

I used to sketch cars as a child and many of my designs an ideas were pretty fanciful and this feature is not only wicked cool and arguably a performance enhancement, it's also sort of nostalgic for me. And I think it creates buzz.

I see your concern with the TRUNK button.
To overcome this, the TRUNK button could be programmed only to operate in the event that; a: the key fob is within "x distance" of the car and b: is pressed and held for more than 2 seconds.

@AnOutsider: A color display would be nice!

Make it an OLED backlit display and now we're talking! This would require the use of a rechargeable batteries which may turn people off; unless, there was some sort of fob holster in the car that would also charge the SmartFob simultaneously.

Perhaps the Power Hatch should be an option. I personally enjoy the idea of having one. I live in a very Jetsons sort of world! :biggrin:

Me? A job at Tesla? Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. :redface: It's a very humbling and gracious suggestion. And I have already sent all of these ideas to Tesla Motors!

I think so far we all prefer TF2 and I agree as well. So I made some alterations to TF2 and also created a smaller TF3 that is void of a TRUNK button.

In the case of the TF3, the absence of a TRUNK button lends itself to one of two ideas.
1 – The Hatch on the Model S has an electronic TOUCH button akin to the door handles on the Roadster that when pressed will lift the Hatch. The TOUCH button is only active when the car is set to UNLOCK.

2 – The trunk on the Model S has a semi-concealed manual handle that allows manual opening and closing of the hatch once the car is set to UNLOCK.

Also; priority is given to the UNLOCK button instead of LOCK because these concepts assume that Model S will automatically lock and arm itself when the SmartFob travels "x distance" away from the car. This virtually erases the need to manually lock the car.

The complete Tesla SmartFob Layout including TF3 is attached below.

Attachments

• SmartFob Mockups.pdf
    980 KB · Views: 131
The TF3 is the best I think. No need for a separate trunk button. It could simply be unlocked when all the doors are unlocked or if the unlock button is held down for 4 or 5 seconds.
The remote could have 2 batteries I guess. A small one to open the doors and a rechargeable one for the screen. Not sure if that is possible or practical. Don't think people would be too keen on having to charge their car remote but you never know.

Yes to the trunk button. A two second hold works file. The Modle S prototype already had auto open (and I think, close) so they are already thinking about all of this.

I think this is a must -- even cheap cars today have the trunk button on the remote, and a 2 second delay works. The key (no pun intended) is to have an accompanying sound (two beeps usually works) so that you know if you're nearby that it's happening, and the button closes and locks the trunk as well. I have it on my Lexus RX 400h remote and my wife's Mercedes R500 and it's a lifesaver with your hands full (groceries, kids, etc.).

@xcelero.ii:

Yes the retracting door handles are cool, I totally agree on that - and I'm sure they create a lot of buzz - but the practicality is nearly zero and it's one more moving part to potentially break down.

Regarding the trunk button, if it's programmed like you suggest I have no problem with that. But if the car and trunk would unlock by proximity and the trunk can open by touch that solves the problem too.

Looking at TF3 I do like that design, it's so simple and uncluttered it could easily be operated by feel in the dark. Oh, here's a suggestion - make the display with a backlight (and the buttons too for that matter), and maybe tapping on the display or pressing a button will make the backlight turn on for a few seconds so you can read it in the dark.