Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model Y Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

2020 Model Y about 8000 miles. Driving up to NH last night and a deer came across 6 lanes of traffic and ran right into us. We we’re going about 75. We were heading northbound and the deer came from the south bound side across 3 lanes, the median, 2 more lanes then just rammed right into us.

Driver side panel and front end took most of the damage. It looks pretty extensive but the car was “drivable” in the sense it pulled over, but once stopped it went into lockdown mode and I couldn’t put it into gear. Both driver side doors are also dinged up. On the inside the side curtain airbags also went off.

The nearest shop here is 50 miles so tomorrow we need to have it towed there for an estimate which is sort of a logistical nightmare but we’ll deal. I know it’s ultimately up to insurance but I have a feeling this is probably totaled? Thoughts?

All and all it was pretty amazing that we walked away without a scratch. The car even pulled itself over to the side of the road as I was too shell shocked to do it myself. If totaled we’ll be right back in line for another one.

Attachments

• 6F529149-CF84-470C-BFD4-A7842B1EA37D.jpeg
    6F529149-CF84-470C-BFD4-A7842B1EA37D.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 319
  • F4A30AA8-0E58-40AD-AB8A-37C650CA3EBA.jpeg
    F4A30AA8-0E58-40AD-AB8A-37C650CA3EBA.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 233
  • FB3E1452-669D-43D3-8912-806186406DDB.jpeg
    FB3E1452-669D-43D3-8912-806186406DDB.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 48A7A12C-B077-4677-8AFE-91FF82B05B09.jpeg
    48A7A12C-B077-4677-8AFE-91FF82B05B09.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 7A10E361-CAE2-45F9-91D0-C410BABB014E.jpeg
    7A10E361-CAE2-45F9-91D0-C410BABB014E.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 246
  • A09BFF45-C294-4E6E-A329-53B0971388A4.jpeg
    A09BFF45-C294-4E6E-A329-53B0971388A4.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 230
Sucks that happened and most important is that the car saved you and your family. For the car pulling itself to safety, could it be autopilot was engaged and with no response from you , it started to slow down and staying in lane until it came to a stop and puts on the hazard lights. I tested autopilot on an empty road and made the system think i was asleep, it started slowing down to a halt, which is pretty cool, but it didn't move over to a different lane. Could be that FSD might have a more advanced method of pulling to the side?

Sucks that happened and most important is that the car saved you and your family. For the car pulling itself to safety, could it be autopilot was engaged and with no response from you , it started to slow down and staying in lane until it came to a stop and puts on the hazard lights. I tested autopilot on an empty road and made the system think i was asleep, it started slowing down to a halt, which is pretty cool, but it didn't move over to a different lane. Could be that FSD might have a more advanced method of pulling to the side?
I don’t have FSD and maybe in the moment I did pull to the side but I don’t remember doing it. I remember seeing a message on the screen before the car shut down that it pulled itself over successfully or something along those lines.

Now that the dust has settled a bit we’re incredibly thankful that we walked away with only a few bruises. Here as few more shots from the scene and in the daytime. The adjuster wants to look at the car at the tow lot on Monday before sending it to a shop. I have a feeling they may think it’s totaled? Anyone have similar damage before?

Seems there's significant damage to support structure and even the subframe in the front. I also see that the A-pillar could be pushed in a bit too. It will most likely be declared a total loss.

Seems there's significant damage to support structure and even the subframe in the front. I also see that the A-pillar could be pushed in a bit too. It will most likely be declared a total loss.
I have a feeling this may be the case. I’ve never heard an adjuster coming to the tow yard for a preliminary inspection if they didn’t have an inkling it may be a total loss. I don’t know if they can make that determination without the car being torn down by a shop but I’m no expert.

Update: an initial field quote came in. Around $11,000. I’m seeing line items for both doors, the hood, bumper, lights and seat assembly. I’m not seeing any items for any of the electronics or any other structural damage. I’m going to have it moved to the shop tomorrow to get the shop estimate and go from there. 11k seems real low but I’m no expert.

Update: an initial field quote came in. Around $11,000. I’m seeing line items for both doors, the hood, bumper, lights and seat assembly. I’m not seeing any items for any of the electronics or any other structural damage. I’m going to have it moved to the shop tomorrow to get the shop estimate and go from there. 11k seems real low but I’m no expert.
That seems extremely low for the damage. At the very least the airbags, headliner and seat covers and seat belts need to be replaced. When the side curtain airbags come out, all of those things need to be replaced.

I just hit a deer two weeks ago. The difference is I was going at 45 mph in the mountains. See the post here Deer collision: good body shop in Denver?

My estimate came at $4000 and the insurance told me it will be a low estimate and they will pay more once I am going into the shop.

The real problem is the availability of body shops. My appointment at the Tesla body shop is on December, 17 and I do not know how long it will take to fix the car :-(

Reactions: roccoma
That seems extremely low for the damage. At the very least the airbags, headliner and seat covers and seat belts need to be replaced. When the side curtain airbags come out, all of those things need to be replaced.
Weirdly I’m seeing all those items on the estimate. So either State Farm is vastly underestimating part cost or this isn’t as bad as it looks?