Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model Y Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad everyone is safe, I think Tesla is the safest car anywhere. $11,000, that seems really low, but I suspect there are adequate parts supply and repair shops now. On my first model 3, three years ago, a motorcycle dinged the rear bumper and a small area in the trunk. Insurance paid $8,000. The repair and the fact the car had been dinged bothered my wife so much, we sold the car and bought a new one, except with dual motors.

I recently hit a deer in northern NJ in my m3 sr+. My damage was to the front driver side fender, front bumper and headlight. My estimate from State Farm (pocket estimator) was super low, at around 3500.

I found an authorized Tesla body shop (from teslas site) and brought it there for an actual estimate, which came in closer to 6k. Since the shop is in State Farm’s direct network, they allowed the difference without issue. State Farm Already paid the claim (part to me and the balance to the shop, minus my deductible) And like you, i have to wait until December to get in to the shop for repairs, which will take 7-10 days.

Biggest takeaway is seems like the paint job on teslas in general is a triple process which is very labor intensive. My labor cost was equal to parts in the final estimate.

Glad you and your family are safe, that’s always the most important aspect of any incident!!!Cars can be replaced, loved ones can’t!!!

Hope you get some resolution soon.

I purchased a set of deer warners, seems like teslas are a magnet for deer since they are so quiet, I can post a link to them if anyone would like them.

Attachments

• E4FE96EA-B613-47B5-A6EF-53B12294E34C.jpeg
    E4FE96EA-B613-47B5-A6EF-53B12294E34C.jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 102
  • CAE5ED46-4364-487D-87B1-5B30650DB8B2.jpeg
    CAE5ED46-4364-487D-87B1-5B30650DB8B2.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 00379238-A8F8-4BB6-B858-AB1F9175E8DF.jpeg
    00379238-A8F8-4BB6-B858-AB1F9175E8DF.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 71
Ha. Well we were going about 70 and the deer came from the median crossing two lanes before hitting us so it was moving at a pretty good clip too. Really just a freak accident. It hit dead on above the wheel and the door was secondary. There was a semi next to us but thankfully autopilot kept us in the lane safely during the hit.

A second or two in travel time difference we would have probably missed it. O well, we’re both ok (my wife and I, not the deer) and that’s all that matters.
Sounds very similar to what happened to me last night. A buck with big ole antlers came racing across the highway and slammed into the side of me. So thankful the deer didn't come in the car and join me, my wife, and 3 young kids in the back seat. The driver's side mirror detached and flew inside in front of me and hit my wife in the cheek, cutting her. So fortunate that was all the injuries we had. It took damages both doors, shattered the door windows and all the panels on the driver's side. Air bags did not go off but the panel covering the bag on the pillar by the windshield was popped open by the impact. I captured the video and posted it. The deer went flying about 10 feet high. Pretty crazy how dangerous these can be.

20211119_091306.jpg

Attachments

• 20211119_091334.jpg
    20211119_091334.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211119_091650.jpg
    20211119_091650.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211119_091508.jpg
    20211119_091508.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 75
Sounds very similar to what happened to me last night. A buck with big ole antlers came racing across the highway and slammed into the side of me. So thankful the deer didn't come in the car and join me, my wife, and 3 young kids in the back seat. The driver's side mirror detached and flew inside in front of me and hit my wife in the cheek, cutting her. So fortunate that was all the injuries we had. It took damages both doors, shattered the door windows and all the panels on the driver's side. Air bags did not go off but the panel covering the bag on the pillar by the windshield was popped open by the impact. I captured the video and posted it. The deer went flying about 10 feet high. Pretty crazy how dangerous these can be.

View attachment 735078
Each year, deer kill more people in USA than bears, wolves, and tigers combined!

View attachment 735078
Wow brother, glad you and the family are safe…unreal, I think there is a significant increase in risk of animal strikes in EVs, there’s just not enough noise to alert them. Sorry about the damage to your car 😕

I sideswiped a deer about 12 years ago on my then 5-day old motorcycle, I did not go down and still had $6500 damage on the motorcycle and severe bruising on my wife's and my legs from the deer's body pivoting into us on impact.

They are a huge nuisance on this area - which has some of the countries highest deer-auto impact in the country.

I sideswiped a deer about 12 years ago on my then 5-day old motorcycle, I did not go down and still had $6500 damage on the motorcycle and severe bruising on my wife's and my legs from the deer's body pivoting into us on impact.

They are a huge nuisance on this area - which has some of the countries highest deer-auto impact in the country.
NJ is the absolute worst for deer. I’m in Morris County, this year especially has been very very bad.

Wow brother, glad you and the family are safe…unreal, I think there is a significant increase in risk of animal strikes in EVs, there’s just not enough noise to alert them. Sorry about the damage to your car 😕
Thanks for your kindness. Yeah we were very fortunate to walk away with this with only slight injuries. The crazy thing was how the driver's side mirror came flying through the car in front of me and hit my wife on the side of the face below her eye. She got cut and some bruises. I was really worried about my 2 yr old in the back seat on the driver side as his window / door was crushed as well, but he did not even have any glass on him. He was screaming, but only because it was loud and scary in that split second the deer rammed into the side of the car. I'm hoping to have an estimate on it later this week to know if it will be repaired or if I need go to go Tesla shopping again.

View attachment 735078
Just got my estimate - about $24,500 in damage to my M3 Performance.