Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model Y or go with a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven both. Both are great vehicles! Both are fast and fun! Model 3 is lower to the ground and so more difficult to enter/exit. Has less interior room. More agile and has track mode. Model Y is more spacious and easier to enter/exit. No track mode but has hepa filtration and tow hitch.

We have a MYP and decided to add a M3SR based on efficiency. I kind of wish it was the other way around as I would love the performance of a M3P and the utility of a MY7. On the flip side, I find myself taking the M3SR quite often for errands and appreciate having a smaller, more nimble and efficient ride sometimes.

I know that probably isn’t a ton of help, but having two different cars is preferable for us. 👍

Reactions: z335is
Our first Tesla was a Model Y LR since we needed the space for the family and we were replacing a 3 row SUV. A few months ago I replaced our second car (BMW 535i) with a Model 3 LR. Since we did not need another car with the space of the Model Y, the 3 was an easy choice - cheaper, longer range, better handling and faster acceleration. Very happy with the choice.

Just a thought... if you *do* decide to get a 3 instead, I would consider buying the MYP too and selling the YSR. Since you're getting it at lower than current price, there's probably profit to be made from your SR.
for the people who couldn't understand why the OP asked the question (and spent a lot more effort than trying to answer), both of Father6's replies are why. This one in particular went beyond the original question and I think is the best answer. Benefit from the 2022 updates. Don't give up the advantage of ordering at lower price.

We have two 3s but only because the Y was not available when we first bought and Y was more than we wanted to spend for a low mileage second EV. If budget was unlimited would have probably gone for Y for the extra space. Test drive both, there seem to be strong opinions in both directions.

As the owner of both the MYP and M3P, I would say go based on your current needs and look to the future. I just got my 3 and love it. Both are fast but as mentioned earlier the driving dynamics are very different. The wife loves the Y but has now put an X on order since its bigger and we need the future space. The 3 will get traded and I will go to the Y. Again, look to the future needs you may have. Hope this helps.

Hello - I currently have a MYP on order (locked in prior to the price bumps) and would be adding it to our stable that includes my wife's Model Y SR. As I've gotten closer to delivery though, I've begun to wonder if it would make more sense to get a Model 3 Performance instead? I'm just worried that the MYP will feel redundant in a way. There is a very low mileage Model 3 demo that I can get right now, so there's that also.
When we consider ICE cars, larger means using more fuel, more cost to run. With EV's the cost is reduced a lot and the difference is very little. That leads you to choose the larger model Y and enjoy the extra room in it and the ease of entry and exit, since it sits a little higher. You pay for the difference but likely worth it for most.

Similar situation, have MYP but opted to get M3LR when we decided to get a second Tesla. Did not want 2 vehicles that have the same driving dynamics. As others have mentioned, Y will have a higher profile, definitely heavier (but feels rock solid) driving feel but comfortable seating position for longer road trips. 3 of course if lighter, agile, lower profile (seating profile is also lower). I usually use the 3 for quick errands, while the Y can be the people hauler and carrying large items.

For me, asking for an opinion or viewpoint may or may not confirm what I already know to be true in my mind. To your question- if I had a a model Y already, I would want the variety/contrast of a different vehicle such as the model 3 performance, especially since if I felt I wasn’t getting the “performance” factor from my current stablemate.

That being said, if I had enough income at my disposal, I would opt for an ICE vehicle to compliment my EV that would feel like a traditional driver’s car such as a BMW M2 or a Porsche 911, with a manual transmission. But that’s me and that’s not feasible for me right now. Some day maybe!