Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model Y or go with a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
Hello - I currently have a MYP on order (locked in prior to the price bumps) and would be adding it to our stable that includes my wife's Model Y SR. As I've gotten closer to delivery though, I've begun to wonder if it would make more sense to get a Model 3 Performance instead? I'm just worried that the MYP will feel redundant in a way. There is a very low mileage Model 3 demo that I can get right now, so there's that also.

Asking opinions online, from folk you've never met, who know nothing of your needs/tastes, doesn't make a lot of sense. Not really a "tone", but a reality check.

For some thats true, but for others, I have multiple threads (some with pages and pages of posts) on " what color should I buy" for a vehicle that only comes in 5 choices.

Some people just like to hear what others would do, or whats popular opinion, etc. Everyone is different in this regard.

Weird flex, but ok I'll bite. So never ask anyone's opinion/viewpoint on something? gotcha... you do you!
Asking an opinion w/o any description of your NEEDS/WANTS just isn't helpful. You could help your cause by telling us more about your needs. You've not provided any guidance whatsoever, hence my remark that any opinion posted here could very well be WAY off the mark.

• Disagree
Reactions: mdsco and Yelobird
We started with his & hers Model 3s in our garage, and as soon as my MYLR arrives we will both have upgraded to Model Ys. Our reasons have to do with family comfort and higher driving profile. But if performance is your highest priority, I'd say go for the M3P. It's faster and more aerodynamic.

We have a 22’ model 3 LR/boost currently and it handles incredibly. Have an MYP coming in 8 days and can’t wait. The 3 has its advantages in total driving fun as a tossable toy…the Y for the interior space and better visibility, towing, rear passenger space.

I’d go with one of each to suit different driving styles and requirements. But that’s just one opinion.🤷🏽‍♂️

Made M3 look quite Sporty with some CFibre interior trim :)

2E0763D6-8B85-48C6-887C-3A7C5B76F6E3.jpeg

Back to the thread topic. I personally am not a fan of having 2 of the exact same vehicle in the house, when the owners of both have full access to either.

What I mean is, if the model Y was "your childs" or "a relative that lives with you" or some other situation where you would not have 100% access to it, I might do that. Otherwise, having some vehicle options I find nice.

I have a model 3 performance, and bought my wife a model Y performance (even though she doesnt need the performance version in the slightest, I am the one with the desire for speed sometimes). We both have full access to either car. I drive "my" model 3 because I like how it drives better than the model Y.

My wife normally drives "her" model Y because she likes sitting up higher. I put quotes around them because they are both "ours" and I sometimes take the model Y just to put some additional miles on it, since its newer than my model 3, or because I want to carry something larger in it.

I would buy a model 3 in your situation, OP, unless there was some circumstances in which I did not like the 3 (sit too low, too hard to get out of, not enough carrying space, etc).

Asking an opinion w/o any description of your NEEDS/WANTS just isn't helpful. You could help your cause by telling us more about your needs. You've not provided any guidance whatsoever, hence my remark that any opinion posted here could very well be WAY off the mark.

Fair enough. Currently have two other cars, my wife's Model Y SR 7 seater and a Honda Fit as our "beater". Have a 6 and 8 year old that we normally tote around, but nothing additional on the way :)