Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another new M3 with rock chipping in paint, but love the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey what's up all. New here and new M3 owner (about six weeks now). M3 performance in midnight silver metallic. Freaking love the car. Unfortunately experiencing paint chips on rocker panels and lower part of doors already and not even 1k miles. Have the full splash guards installed too. Yes I know they happen but crap if the amount after so short a time period is frustrating and disappointing. And I detailed the car fully right after driving home, including some ceramic coating all over. Got the paint repair kit from Tesla but haven't applied it yet. Driver side rear door does protrude a bit so getting wear too. Sounds like that miss alignment issue is a problem with many. Not going the PPF route so thanks though if anyone plans to suggest that. If anyone has any good suggestions on protective coatings to mitigate this that are DIY I'm open. I currently use and like the chemical guys stuff.

Anyways thanks for letting me complain. Also, if anyone ever figures out a way to change the tiny "honk" when you walk away and it locks let me know. I'd like to change mine to the sound of Darth Vader breathing. I don't think you currently can but if anyone from Tesla sees this...hint hint hint.

Cheers!

Only PPF can protect against rock chips. Slather as much ceramic coating as you like it ain’t gonna do diddly squat. Also Tesla paint repair kit is just rebranded Dr. Colorchip so you could just order directly from them.

Agree with UncertainTimes, only PPF is going to give you real protection. I did some janky DIY with Plasti Dip on my rocker panels for a while, but it was a HUGE pain. Time-consuming to put on, time-consuming to take off, it is visible to varying degrees depending on your choice of Dip, isn't that durable, and is a dirt magnet. I'd only recommend it if you have a lot of time and don't mind making your rocker panels a different appearance than the rest of your car.