Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Options Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to zero in on a Tesla for the Boston area. We do around town driving mostly in the suburbs, a 16 mile commute, and occasional trips to NYC, Vermont/NH/Maine and a bunch of trips to Martha's Vineyard in the spring/fall/summer. Probably 11K miles per year. Our other cars have been Audi (A5) and BMW (X3, 3 series). So, we are more looking for a luxury car than a sports car, but typically haven't gone for the big luxury cars that are compared with the Tesla. We are price sensitive, but not for features that really make sense. So, here are a few questions about options.

We are thinking about an 85kW car, pano roof (we want to use a roof rack), leather seats, tech package, wood trim but NOT performance seats, leather interior trim, or the Alcantara headliner.

Before my specific questions, are any of the "nots" above a mistake?

First question - we have a steep driveway. Bigger cars scrape their tailpipes on the road when backing out. Seems like the air suspension makes sense, no?
Second question - is the standard stereo decent? I like music, but don't know that I need to go to an expensive system with subwoofer.
Third question - we weren't thinking about the premium interior lighting until I read on one of the forums that the lighting is bad at night without it. Can anyone help me understand this better?
Last question - we garage the car. The subzero package seems a little over the top. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your input.

I am trying to zero in on a Tesla for the Boston area. We do around town driving mostly in the suburbs, a 16 mile commute, and occasional trips to NYC, Vermont/NH/Maine and a bunch of trips to Martha's Vineyard in the spring/fall/summer. Probably 11K miles per year. Our other cars have been Audi (A5) and BMW (X3, 3 series). So, we are more looking for a luxury car than a sports car, but typically haven't gone for the big luxury cars that are compared with the Tesla. We are price sensitive, but not for features that really make sense. So, here are a few questions about options.

We are thinking about an 85kW car, pano roof (we want to use a roof rack), leather seats, tech package, wood trim but NOT performance seats, leather interior trim, or the Alcantara headliner.

First question - we have a steep driveway. Bigger cars scrape their tailpipes on the road when backing out. Seems like the air suspension makes sense, no?
Second question - is the standard stereo decent? I like music, but don't know that I need to go to an expensive system with subwoofer.
Third question - we weren't thinking about the premium interior lighting until I read on one of the forums that the lighting is bad at night without it. Can anyone help me understand this better?
Last question - we garage the car. The subzero package seems a little over the top. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your input.
In my opinion you are on the right track with your options. Q1 Air suspension for you is a no-brainer. YES, you want it. (But you really won't have to worry about scraping a tailpipe!! :wink:) Q2:I am not an audiophile but I find the standard stereo to be more than adequate. I did not order the premium lighting but I have never had any regrets either. Q4:eThe nice thing about the subzero package is that the rear seats are also heated. But I live in a more temperate zone so I will leave that consideration to those with more useful feedback.

You can see my config in my signature line. I think you've make a reasonable selection of options.
Performance seats option does not improve the quality of the seat, it's aesthetics.
With the pano, definitely skip the alcantara.
Can't answer on air suspension. I have it and have used it maybe 4 times in the past 8 months. None of those times was critical.
I have the standard stereo. Bass is a little lacking, I think I miss the speakers in the hatch as well. Having said that, it's not worth the money to me (a very personal thing, sound).
I have the extra lighting as part of the original tech package but don't think I'd miss it. Lighting without are 4 "map" lights. One on either side of the rear view mirror and one for each rear passenger.
I don't have the subzero package. Rear seat heaters would be nice. I don't know how effective the wiper heater is.

I just said this elsewhere, but I really wish I had gotten the Subzero Package, just because the kids get really cold in the back seats, and seat heaters are the most efficient way to heat the car. As a long-time former Boston resident, I would highly recommend it.

You won't miss the alcantara headliner or the performance leather seats with the alcantara bolsters. I really do like the non-performance nappa leather seats, as opposed to the textile. I have the premium sound and lighting, so I cannot comment how the car is without them. I find myself mostly listening to Slacker radio, so I fear the premium sound was probably overkill for me...and I wish I had the space in back taken up by the Subwoofer to store more junk.

I also had a very steep driveway, and got the air suspension. I never need to raise the car, and I don't ever scrape the fins as long as I go slow over the curb. I have found the air suspension to be very handy elsewhere, though.

Air suspension is a plus/minus for moderately steep driveways. I have such a driveway and my coil car does not scrape (height is a little higher than normal air height) but air cars will scrape in my drive. Very glad I didn't get air as I would have had to raise several times a day just to get in and out of the drive. Don't have to do that with my coil car.

pbleic, parking sensors are conspicuous by their absence in your initial post. It seems most folks getting the tech package are opting for them. My car was built before they were available so cannot comment directly, however.
Yes, I had another test drive and I have added them. I definitely need the air suspension, as the car does scrape a little on my driveway, about 1 out of 4 tries when we tested. The remaining questionable items are the subzero package and interior lighting. The lighting seems ok, maybe a little dim at night. Is the interior lighting mostly aesthetic?

Yes, I had another test drive and I have added them. I definitely need the air suspension, as the car does scrape a little on my driveway, about 1 out of 4 tries when we tested. The remaining questionable items are the subzero package and interior lighting. The lighting seems ok, maybe a little dim at night. Is the interior lighting mostly aesthetic?
Yes it is. Not very useful, more for accent lighting

No.

Yes, I'd get the air suspension for sure in your case. (I have the air and don't regret it).

I have the upgraded sound and it's great if you're listening to FLAC from your thumb drive. If you're just going to listen to streaming music or radio it probably doesn't make any difference as the quality of the incoming music is poor.

It's mostly aesthetics, but it really makes the interior "pop" at night.

I would have gotten this package if it had been available, and I'm in Texas. This is one that you really won't regret ever.

Here are my thoughts on the must have options for NE driving:

- 85kw. - longer range is always a must, especially in winter. And Supercharging feature is fantastic!

- 19in wheels with winter tires... Consider a second set of 21in wheels for summer driving if you want better road handling.

- sub zero package. An absolute must in NE.

- Pano if you want ski racks

- coil suspension is fine. I have air suspension but it is expensive. It might help in highway driving but I rarely use it to raise mine in most situations, and coil suspension height is already high enough to not worry about scraping the bottom in most driveways.

- HPWC... There have been many times when I wish I had one... Supercharging stations are rather sparse in NE at the moment and dual charger option can come in handy! And it's a lot cheaper to get it as an initial option.

- Tech package... Tesla is an ultimate gadget for gadget lovers, and I consider the tech package as a must! And folding mirror is a must since the Model S is a very wide vehicle.

- parking sensors... They are very handy and I use them every day.

I have the fog lights, premium sound, and interior lights... But in hindsight I would not have missed them at all.