Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another panel gap thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my MS. The hood/fender has an alignment problem. I know I am not the first to have this, so please forgive the beating of a very dead horse. My specific question is whether anyone has has an alignment issue like this and whether there is a simple fix? I am due to have the car wrapped with a protective film and am now wondering whether I need to delay that until Tesla resolves the issue. Unfortunately, delaying the film increases the chances the car gets nicked. :(

TIA.

Attachments

• 58D6A2DA-59C3-4296-B6AC-578B7679E974.JPG
    58D6A2DA-59C3-4296-B6AC-578B7679E974.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 362
  • 376C3098-AE7D-416D-9485-8B8F60A030BC.JPG
    376C3098-AE7D-416D-9485-8B8F60A030BC.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 62621135-EF3F-4DFE-9013-FA221D674679.JPG
    62621135-EF3F-4DFE-9013-FA221D674679.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_8892 2.JPG
    IMG_8892 2.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 316
And.... that would be terrible new. They just ... left it like that? Dang.

Yeah, the problem is if they moved the hood over, the hood to bumper gaps would no longer be even. I think the problem is the fender or stamping process. I took a look at the lot when they had all these new inventory cars out there and 75% of them had the exact issue.

FWIW, my problem is exactly the same as yours. Way more gap on the drivers side.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Yeah, the problem is if they moved the hood over, the hood to bumper gaps would no longer be even. I think the problem is the fender or stamping process. I took a look at the lot when they had all these new inventory cars out there and 75% of them had the exact issue.

FWIW, my problem is exactly the same as yours. Way more gap on the drivers side.

This is what I am worried about. It seems like it's the fender that's bowed out, not the hood shifted over. Crap.

How can some of you just accept the panel gaps to normal? Although the panel gap doesn't look bad, one would expect perfection for the price that you're paying. I would refuse delivery until they get it right, who knows how much time they're going to take and if they can ever match the paint/align the panels correctly. Once you sign, you can pretty much forget about it.

Last edited:
How can some of you just accept the panel gaps to normal? Although the panel gap doesn't look bad, one would expect perfection for the price that you're paying. I would refuse delivery until they get it right, who knows how much time they're going to take and if they can ever match the paint/align the panels correctly. Once you sign, you can pretty much forget about it.

Because in life you pick your battles. Panel gaps that are within tolerances (as told to me from Tesla) is not something I want to spend time arguing over. It's just a car.