TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Another Perfect Car

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by lolachampcar, Mar 6, 2014.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

My wife's S85 was damaged in an accident on 12/12 at which point we ordered a replacement. We collected the replacement from the West Palm Beach service center yesterday and it was perfect. It is the best yet from a quality standpoint. The frunk leading edge is perfectly aligned. All panel gaps are uniform. All panel heights are perfect. There were some QC marks on the hatch glass from a Go/NoGo fail which was examined by the factory QC team and passed. It is barely visible and I would not have spotted it had I not seen the car as it came off the truck (with all QC markings still in place). In short, it is the best we have taken delivery on to date which speaks volumes for manufacturing's improving quality. The SC confirmed that their workload per car for corrections has dropped big time and it most certainly shows on this car.

The only remaining issue is the front passenger door is still unwilling to close without significantly more effort than the driver's door when the windows are up. I'm not sure what is up with this but it has been this way on all but one of the four cars we have taken delivery on (luckily, my car's passenger door closes perfectly :) ). I'm sure engineering will figure this out some day.

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Congratulations to your wife, lolachampcar. And, surely, you must hold the record for the number of Model S purchased by a single household...

3. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Based on new car purchase patterns, I'll be expecting the next Tesla Service Center in your garage.

4. lolachampcar

P110++ please

5. Tony DelCampo

Tony DelCampo Member

Congratulations!! I finally got my P85 delivered two days ago. Probably in the same batch as your wife's! How did your insurance negotiations go? I remember speaking to you a couple of months ago when considering purchasing your wife's prior S.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Good to hear. You mean P110++AWD, right?:)

7. lolachampcar

dsm,
    I'm pretty sure AWD will be needed to get 600hp to the ground :)

Tony,
    Not good with the insurance. The girl that hit my wife is insisting my wife hit her. The infraction will be heard this month which should help clarify the situation.

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I'm very happy for you with what you've posted, and on behalf of those of us with large investments in the company, I'm very happy with:

Best of luck with the hearing and insurance negotiations. Keep us apprised.

9. Vger

Vger Active Member

Yes, this is VERY good news! To those of us that struggled through the early issues, but believe solidly in the company, this is wonderful to hear!

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sorry to hear that. So if I understand, the driver is contesting the at-fault ticket they received and their insurance doesn't want to pay up until that case is heard?

11. lolachampcar

The driver that hit my wife is contesting the ticket and has told her insurance company my wife ran into her. I find the second part amusing as she damaged the front of her car by contacting the side of my wife's car as she pulled out of a Publix parking lot onto the road my wife was traveling. She then insists my wife "changed lanes" into her. I think it is just a sign of the times.

One interesting note is that Florida law precludes using a paid ticket as an admission of guilt in a civil proceeding. Instead of paying the ticket, she hired an attorney and is contesting it. A finding of fact by the court is admissible in civil court so my wife and I are looking forward to the trial later this month.

As for the insurance company, any possible excuse to deny liability no matter how far fetched is plenty good enough for them.

12. jdevo2004

jdevo2004 Member

Seems those Russians are onto something with their adoption of dash cams.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Interesting. The other driver could be opening herself up to a liability the law would have protected her from would she have just paid the ticket? Should make for an interesting hearing. If it were me, I'd put in a polite call to the officer who took the report to let him/her know what's at stake. May help ensure the officer just doesn't skip, allowing her off on a technicality (which happens frequently). Your luck with this thing has been terrible. :(

On the plus side, congratulations on the nice, new Model S!

I know, right? I need a dash cam, pronto. Wish they wouldn't have eliminated the power connector up in the headliner.

14. JPP

JPP Active Member

...time for a dashcam install?? I did the full front-rear Blackvue DR550...won't see the sides, but will catch a lot of activity plus audio.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, but there is a way to get 12V power. See:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/26023-DIY-Dashcam-(BlackVue-550-fron-rear)-constant-power-source-from-dash

15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

16. lolachampcar