Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another PG&E Sucks and SGIP Thread (15 minute data interval request)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also SCE in Socal!

Yeah I waited for City inspection approval, and Edison issuing PTO, before installing the 50A to my old panel. But it's great to hear that this is something they can overlook easily. Thanks for responding!
I could do that but if there is a fire, and insurance finds something was added without a permit, they may not cover. So I am telling folks I talk with to add EV charging, I must have a permit

Reactions: cvincent
I could do that but if there is a fire, and insurance finds something was added without a permit, they may not cover. So I am telling folks I talk with to add EV charging, I must have a permit
I totally agree with this. But in my situation my house is a brand new construction, and I paid for the EV wiring/installation when the house was being built (meaning permit was done properly in the beginning).

Only difference in mine was that I originally paid/had a 30A in the old main panel, then when the powerwalls came, they moved that 30A to the new Tesla panel. What I did now is that I replaced the 30A with a 50A, and replaced the gauge wiring, and moved it back to the old main panel (like where it was originally)

So technically I have permits for an ev charging.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this. But in my situation my house is a brand new construction, and I paid for the EV wiring/installation when the house was being built (meaning permit was done properly in the beginning).

Only difference in mine was that I originally paid/had a 30A in the old main panel, then when the powerwalls came, they moved that 30A to the new Tesla panel. What I did now is that I replaced the 30A with a 50A, and replaced the gauge wiring, and moved it back to the old main panel (like where it was originally)

So technically I have permits for an ev charging.
If wiring was replaced, there would be a paper trail to what breaker size and wiring was approved. If changed, ...

I had to replace on heat pump compressor with 2. Long story. They wanted to just say it was covered under the original permit. I said nope, it said 3 compressors, not 4. ETc. They are pulling another permit. Now, if I went to pull a permit, and told them what I did, and they said, and put in writing a new permit was not needed, great, I am covered.

After receiving my PTO from Edison last month, I had my electrician install a 50amp breaker to my old main panel directly to the grid, for an ev charging (this is so I don't kill the battery on my powerwalls every night when I charge my tesla)
So long as the grid is up (and you have not opened the main disconnect), locating the 50A breaker in the old main panel does not affect whether the Powerwalls discharge while you charge your Tesla. Why? Because as long as the breakers are all closed and the contactor inside the Gateway is closed then everything is connected together (although going through breakers in various places). So the load of the EV charger is seen as part of the home load by the Powerwalls. You can avoid discharging the Powerwalls by choosing a strategy that disables discharging after midnight (or whatever time is appropriate).

So long as the grid is up (and you have not opened the main disconnect), locating the 50A breaker in the old main panel does not affect whether the Powerwalls discharge while you charge your Tesla. Why? Because as long as the breakers are all closed and the contactor inside the Gateway is closed then everything is connected together (although going through breakers in various places). So the load of the EV charger is seen as part of the home load by the Powerwalls. You can avoid discharging the Powerwalls by choosing a strategy that disables discharging after midnight (or whatever time is appropriate).
It does depend on how the system was installed. If like my install, they moved all the breakers out of the main panel and the only CT monitoring power to/from grid is in the gateway, then any load installed in the main panel would not be seen by the GW/PWs. In this case the PW would not compensate for any load from that circuit. Usage from this circuit will also not show up in your home usage in the Tesla app.

I agree there are probably better ways to avoid discharging your PWs.

then any load installed in the main panel would not be seen by the GW/PWs. In this case the PW would not compensate for any load from that circuit. Usage from this circuit will also not show up in your home usage in the Tesla app.

This is exactly my setup. My 50A EV charger (on a nema 14-50) on the old main panel is not showing up at all in the Tesla app. Just tied directly to the grid.

I'm sure there are better ways to discharge the pw, but at the moment I'm on Time based control, and I have it setup that my PW discharges from 4pm-8am (my peak is 4pm-9pm, off peak 9pm-8am, and superoff-peak 8am-4pm)

So I'm pretty much off-grid until 8am morning (besides charging my Tesla starting at 9pm directly from the grid). So by doing it this way, Im always on super off peak, and only use off-peak for charging the car.

But like you guys said, there's prolly better ways to do this haha.

Hey fellas, I have a question about my incoming SGIP inspection for my 2 powerwalls.

After receiving my PTO from Edison last month, I had my electrician install a 50amp breaker to my old main panel directly to the grid, for an ev charging (this is so I don't kill the battery on my powerwalls every night when I charge my tesla)

When SGIP comes for the inspection, would they care about this?
Ditto nope. They did care about seeing the powerwalls, that they were functioning, and evidence for SGIP qualification (the well). Every PG&E employee we have had contact with over the SGIP has wanted to see a photo of the well pump motor. I keep explaining that the well is so deep that the motor is at the bottom, but it doesn't seem to sink in. The first request is usually followed up by a request to see a photo of the bottom of the well.:rolleyes: I did end up explaining to one guy that he was welcome to take the photo, but I didn't have the equipment to do it, given the depth and the fact it was underwater.

Last edited:
Ditto nope. They did care about seeing the powerwalls, that they were functioning, and evidence for SGIP qualification (the well). Every PG&E employee we have had contact with over the SGIP has wanted to see a photo of the well pump motor. I keep explaining that the well is so deep that the motor is at the bottom, but it doesn't seem to sink in. The first request is usually followed up by a request to see a photo of the bottom of the well.:rolleyes: I did end up explaining to one guy that he was welcome to take the photo, but I didn't have the equipment to do it, given the depth and the fact it was underwater.
They just took pictures of my well head and control box when they did it for me.

How did they determine that your water supply was single-sourced to that well? SGIP started making people sign some attestation to their water source, but I figure they'd try to prove the home's water source excluded municipal supplies.
Public water isn't available to me.
When I built my house I wanted to tap into public water that was reasonably close to me but was told that circuit was at capacity. They wanted me to tap into a circuit that was a mile away and pay for the trenching, pipe, etc. plus the connection fee. I put in a well.

Just an update for my situation and for future reference for other people:

- For the SGIP Inspection, I qualified for a 'Virtual' Inspection (through AESC). I contact AESC on tips on how to take videos and photos (Geotagged etc).
- After submitting it through AESC, AESC filed it through Socalgas (my SGIP of choice). I received the approval email from Socalgas within 2 business days of AESC sending it to them - Email says expect the payment in approximately 30 days.

Socalgas is super fast on responding on SGIP stuff at the moment. AESC was actually the one that took 7 days to submit the paperwork to Socalgas.

Just an update for my situation and for future reference for other people:

- For the SGIP Inspection, I qualified for a 'Virtual' Inspection (through AESC). I contact AESC on tips on how to take videos and photos (Geotagged etc).
- After submitting it through AESC, AESC filed it through Socalgas (my SGIP of choice). I received the approval email from Socalgas within 2 business days of AESC sending it to them - Email says expect the payment in approximately 30 days.

Socalgas is super fast on responding on SGIP stuff at the moment. AESC was actually the one that took 7 days to submit the paperwork to Socalgas.
I did not realized there was still SGIP money. Anyone has the updates as to who has, how much, conditions, etc?

I’m a battery only customer. I received the SGIP rebate and I have no problem meeting the discharge requirement on the Powerwalls because I use the batteries during peak hours.

I understand I need to satisfy the discharge requirement for five years. What happens if I sell the house during that time and the new owner only uses the batteries as backup? (So doesn’t meet the discharge requirement) Will SGIP ask me to pay them back then?

Reactions: h2ofun
I’m a battery only customer. I received the SGIP rebate and I have no problem meeting the discharge requirement on the Powerwalls because I use the batteries during peak hours.

I understand I need to satisfy the discharge requirement for five years. What happens if I sell the house during that time and the new owner only uses the batteries as backup? (So doesn’t meet the discharge requirement) Will SGIP ask me to pay them back then?
Ask your tax preparer and get back to us.

I suspect that morally, you might owe back some money for those years you didn't fulfill your end of the bargain. Whether they would try to collect or even notice is a different question.

Reactions: BGbreeder