Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another plea for Apple car play / android equivalent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon inception the center console was replete with useful utilities and easter eggs, but three years later on there is growing discontent at the lack of updates and overall slowness of the browser.

I make an earnest plea that apple car play be included as an app in the center console for several reasons:

1) Ease of implementation: it is difficult to buy a $25,000 hyundai these days that doesn't have this feature. This tells me that it must be cheap and easy to implement. It would be effortless for Tesla to include this feature as an app to its suite.

2) De Facto standard: My wife is bamboozled by the center console in the Tesla, but loves car play in her Audi. Including Apple car play lowers the learning curve for new car buyers, and technophobes.

3) Instantly adds new features to the Tesla: The inclusion of apple play instantly adds texting, better music control and a host of other features that are maintained by Apple R&D and are "gifted" to Tesla through Apple car play.

4) Redundancy: There are times when my Tesla is in a dead zone, and others where my phone has no bars. Redundancy provides reliability and safety.

5) Provides Tesla with breathing room: Apple car play gives Tesla time to work on their own apps and make sure they work before releasing them to the public. Model S drivers are currently feeling quite neglected.

Would like to see Car play/ android auto added also. I liked it especially for texting while driving since it reads texts to you. Also really liked the Waze app on android auto. To be honest though I would be fine just having Tesla update the built in Nav to use Waze.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
@VegasBlue - If you want Tesla to hear your thoughts on this, you need to send to them. This forum is independent of Tesla. And contrary to forum opinion, Tesla does not completely monitor here. It's hit and miss, most of the hits because a forum member alerts them to a particular issue. But I wouldn't look at this as a way to provide them with feedback.

Reactions: YNOT3
I used Android Auto in a rental car for the first time recently. It was better than the built in stuff by a long shot, to be sure. I still missed the Tesla interface. The Android screen showed so little information at once. On the Tesla interface each part of the screen shows something useful.

Caveat: the Tesla icon auto hide sucks and needs to go away.

Reactions: morrisdl
Im a bit surprised at the animosity.
Adding Apple Car Play is simply an option, not a replacement.
If you don't like it or need it, then ignore it.

The Nav system in my Audi is excellent, and in many ways better than the Tesla, and I love it.
My wife finds it too confusing so she simply plugs in her phone in the audi and Siri and apple maps gets her to her destination.

It should just be that easy.

Until, if ever, CarPlay/AndroidAuto support routing through Superchargers and knowing the cars state of charge/etc. Tesla still has to maintain their own Nav system, so it really doesn't save them any work, it just creates more work and complexity.

I found that Apple android car play seem to restrictive, apps are dumbed sown and overly nannied out. I would refer full screen 2 way mirroring. Where the Tesla screen would instantly become a giant iPhone touch screen.
Please not until FSD is done. Way too many people spending way too much time and energy on their phones. I have an employee who has had their car rear-ended three times in the last year by people on their phones during their commute. I know the Tesla could have AP, but people would still find a way to be stupid about it if there were full phone apps.

We have Android Auto on two of our other cars, and they are way ahead of anything Tesla has to offer. I get very frustrated at how basic our Model X infotainment is. Here are a few examples of what Android Auto can do:

- Google assistant is always on, so you just have to say "ok Google" to start a command or perform a Google search. No need to push any button or touch anything.

- Support for WhatsApp, FB messenger, SMS, and more. Again, this is all voice driven. You start the conversation by saying "ok Google, chat with..." and you can dictate your message and send it through those communication apps. Again, no touching of screen is needed. Just say it and listen. Heck, it even reads emoticons from incoming messages, which is very amusing.

- it predicts your daily routine and provide assistant without you asking. I know this is big brother-ish, but it tells me in the morning my commute time and best route to work and in reverse in the afternoon. I don't need to ask for it. If I switch over to the map app, it automatically tells me the real time traffic situation between my location and destination and shows me the fastest route to work or home, again based on how Google understands my daily pattern. It's freaky good, but it's also a wonderful tool to have when navigating So. Cal. rush hours. And the best of all, I can either voice command this by again saying "ok Google", or touch only one button on the screen.

And I agree with many here. If this is standard on my VW GTI or the Honda Fit we see in the showroom, then Tesla should be able to implement Android Auto and Car Play.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and gjunky
I don’t see a downside to this either. Having half the screen showing CarPlay/Android auto as an option would give you access to all your supported phone apps and their configurations. You don’t have to use it if you don’t want too. And as mentioned, most of it is voice controlled.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18