Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another poor visit with Tesla Service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they remove the fender to paint it? The alignment where the fender meets the bumper and headlamp looks misaligned to me:

7A2C99D2-9E16-475F-A112-823B78828F4C.png

Here’s mine for comparison:

C310F878-819A-4F90-9139-3297BEF11350.png

Maybe it’s just a difference in magnification, but I’d take a close look at it, compare it to your other side, and if it looks off, have them fix that, too.

I’m angry at myself for not seeing it for a month. Now it’s all I see. Tesla said to take it to an approved body shop and have them paint with code PPMR, but I am wondering if I should have them repaint the whole car now?

Absolutely do not get the whole car repainted. Take it to a decent body shop and they will be able to repaint the panel and blend it in so it will look good.

Reactions: 03DSG
Lesson learned. Never have a new body panel repainted unless the problem is glaring and horrible. it will never match exactly. You've allowed a minor annoyance that likely didn't even need to be fixed to be turned into a significant problem.

That's quite a harsh a quip, sir. OP states that he didn't tell Tesla or the bodyshop how to fix the small problem, only that there was a problem that he'd like fixed. What you're calling a "Lesson learned" should be the service's competency, not the consumer's.

We had a red 2012 Infiniti G37 that was involved in a minor accident a couple of years ago. Red is a rare color on that car but it is a really good looking color IMO. The repair was so good that the only way I could tell the difference between new paint & old was the lack of rock chips. I think the problem (aside from the original QC issue) is the (lack of) skill of the body shop that did the work.

I can't remember how metallic the paint was. It was totaled in a hail storm so I can't go look at it.

Reactions: DC Autocraft
Paint shops run into this all the time. Some repaints are fantastic, and others are not quite up to the standard.

If you feel the job is not acceptable to you, arrange to take it back and have it redone.

Painting the whole car is rarely the best solution, as a good painter should be able to match it up to your satisfaction.

Some paints need to cure for a bit and then be rubbed out and polished to blend into the existing paint. They also can blend in the paint from the new to the existing, so the eye does not pick up the differences.

From what you say, a trip to that paint shop, or another would be in order to get a satisfactory result.

Might also talk to them about the panel gaps at the same time.

Reactions: DC Autocraft