Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another potential AP accident into Fire truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bladerskb

Senior Software Engineer
Oct 24, 2016
Michigan
Police said the Cloverdale Fire Department fire truck was parked along the highway, its emergency lights activated while responding to a single-vehicle crash, when Sunday's collision occurred, police said.

Ames said Derrick Monet told investigators he regularly uses his Tesla's autopilot mode, but that “due to the impact of the accident he cannot recall whether or not he had it on at the time of the accident."

State police are continuing to investigate whether or not the autopilot was activated and planned to contact Tesla as part of their investigation, he said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...s-fire-truck-in-indiana-killing-arizona-woman

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Do people not read the owner’s manual? I know the limits of my last two Volvo’s Pilot Assist systems. I know it’s not going to stop for a stopped vehicle on the highway or coming up to a stopped vehicle at a stop light at 45mph. Drive and pay attention accordingly. If you know how the ADAS systems work, they are great.

Reactions: diplomat33
I don't think you can rely on people reading the manual. In reality, I am sure majority of people haven't read their car's manual, regardless of the car make and model. And some people do put blind trust in technology, which unfortunately can have very bad outcome.

Yeah, exactly. If anything, I find myself paying more attention (at least with Volvo’s system, I’m sure the same will apply when my Model Y shows up too).

Yes it's a strange reaction but when I put on autopilot I am both aware it fails often and so amazed by it I literally pay attention to everything the car is doing and reacting to. I can't stop. I spend most of my drive testing it to see if it reacts right.