TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another potential AP accident into Fire truck

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by Bladerskb, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Senior Software Engineer

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/iowa/articles/2019-12-30/telsa-rear-ends-fire-truck-in-indiana-killing-arizona-woman

• Informative x 1
  2. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

At this point, we don't know if AP was on or not.

• Funny x 1
  3. LowlyOilBurner

Might as well cancel my order for a Model Y w/FSD. I’m sure this technology will be outlawed or something like that by time I take delivery.

• Funny x 2
  4. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Future replies should go in this thread which for odd reasons the moderators have sequestered to “off-topic.” :rolleyes:

5. LowlyOilBurner

Do people not read the owner’s manual? I know the limits of my last two Volvo’s Pilot Assist systems. I know it’s not going to stop for a stopped vehicle on the highway or coming up to a stopped vehicle at a stop light at 45mph. Drive and pay attention accordingly. If you know how the ADAS systems work, they are great.

• Like x 1
  6. croman

croman Active Member

Clearly negligent on the part of the driver. They don't say what kind of Tesla it was other than 2019 eliminating AP1/2.

7. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Yeah, that was a mystery to me why it got moved. I thought it was highly on topic for the 3 forum, but maybe they will move it to the autonomous forum if we find out AP was in use.

• Like x 1
  8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Photos show it was a 3 Dual Motor.

• Informative x 1
  9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

I feel like if a Tesla hits a parked firetruck hard enough to kill a passenger then we can assume Autopilot was on. It does say in the owner’s manual that it won’t react to stopped vehicles reliably.

10. P3dStealth

P3dStealth Member

I don't know how people are just turning autopilot on and not paying attention. I have to take over from autopilot all the time. It's amazingly obvious to me that I have to pay attention.

• Like x 3
  11. LowlyOilBurner

Yeah, exactly. If anything, I find myself paying more attention (at least with Volvo’s system, I’m sure the same will apply when my Model Y shows up too).

12. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

I don't think you can rely on people reading the manual. In reality, I am sure majority of people haven't read their car's manual, regardless of the car make and model. And some people do put blind trust in technology, which unfortunately can have very bad outcome.

13. P3dStealth

P3dStealth Member

Yes it's a strange reaction but when I put on autopilot I am both aware it fails often and so amazed by it I literally pay attention to everything the car is doing and reacting to. I can't stop. I spend most of my drive testing it to see if it reacts right.