Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Prediction Thread: Guess the top end price

What do you think a fully loaded Model 3 will cost?

• 40,000 - 45,000

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 45,000 - 50,000

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 50,000 - 55,000

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • 55,000 - 60,000

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • 60,000 - 65,000

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • 65,000 - 70,000

Votes: 52 22.9%
  • 70,000 - 75,000

Votes: 40 17.6%
  • 75,000+

Votes: 51 22.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that Tesla will position the top end M3 slightly above the MS base price, in order to not cannibalize MS 70 and 70D sales too much.
Is this before or after the supposed price increases coming in April?

Honestly beyond vague figures do you expect them to talk pricing this early on? I don't expect to hear hard prices until a few months before actual release.

Maybe not 2017, but over time Tesla will offer a lot of expensive options for the Model 3 - after all this is the way to make money on a car that "starts at 35,000".

At a cost options might include:

- different wheels
- paint colors
- performance upgrades
- interior (carbon anyone?)
- sport seats
- and much more

This is just a short list from the existing cars (Model S/X and roadster). More to come in the future.

Some of the options might not even include hardware. I could imagine software enabled capabilities as an option. So far we have been given these largely without extra cost. This could change.

Is this before or after the supposed price increases coming in April?

Honestly beyond vague figures do you expect them to talk pricing this early on? I don't expect to hear hard prices until a few months before actual release.
I doubt we will find out any pricing other than Elon mentioning the already known base price on 3/31. This is simply a prediction thread for whenever the pricing comes around.

I expect the Model 3 to have a similar price increase as a Model S. The base model S is around $70K and a top end loaded model is around $125K. So a $55K difference. $35K + $55K is $90K as the top end for the Model 3.

I already agree that there is a difference and a lot of options for the Model S is not applicable for the Model 3. I also expect that a lot of smaller basic options will be extras for the Model 3.

It's a gross simplification, but I bet the numbers end up that way.

I wonder if Tesla will offer an aluminum body package for the Model 3 for those willing to pay the extra to get it. They have the aluminum stamping machines. Why not use them and offer it?

Don't know if anyone caught this, but it fits right in this thread for sure. For those who hadn't seen it:

Tesla Model 3: speculating on versions, batteries, prices, power

The "educated" guess in the article seems fairly possible, with a 344, 366D, and P366D models ranging from the opening $35K through the top end being approx $60K.

Anyway, was an interesting article to read and a nice change from the typical daily "Model 3 reservations are $1000" wash, rinse, repeat articles plaguing the internet for the past few weeks.

I fully expect the top end to be quite expensive. That article is good, but I actually think they low balled it a bit.

$35,000 base
$10,000 battery upgrade
$5,000 Dual Motor
$2,500 autopilot

That's already low $50k without paint, wheel, interior, air suspension, sound system, performance, or ludicrous upgrades.

I fully expect the top end to be quite expensive. That article is good, but I actually think they low balled it a bit.

$35,000 base
$10,000 battery upgrade
$5,000 Dual Motor
$2,500 autopilot

That's already low $50k without paint, wheel, interior, air suspension, sound system, performance, or ludicrous upgrades.
That is if they offer all of the upgrades that were on the S/X. Elon has said it wouldn't have all the bells and whistles but didn't really say they wouldn't be an option. I do assume the vehicle they will bring to the reveal will be highly optioned though, most car companies don't show off their base models.

If someone wants to pay $70k+ for a Model 3, have at it. My budget is $45k max. Hoping I'll be able to configure a nice model for that.

Something to remember is Tax, Title, License, and delivery fee on the car. You actually have to price it around $39k to end up at $45k (If you are buying in California, or another state with higher sales tax). The destination fee is currently $1,100 on the S/X, and the TTL is $4000 on a $40k car.

Also, keep in mind that the (full) Tax rebate will almost certainly be gone. The rumor is that there are upwards of 20,000 Telsa/Space X employee reservations already. On top of that, high option builds will go first, then west coast to east coast...

Not trying to rain on your parade, but just a warning to be cautious when pricing the car because it does end up being quite a bit more than the sticker price when its all said and done.

StreetInsider.com reported last Sept. that:

"Lowering battery cost via changes to cell chemistry and Gigafactory scale benefits are critical determinants of Tesla's ability to sell an affordable Model 3 starting at $35K," Dolev commented. "Our detailed battery component cost analysis details a path to 50%+ reduction in battery pack cost to $125/kWh by 2020,..."

So I'm optimistic that battery upgrade cost from 44kW to 66kW will under $6K additional. Is this unrealistic with the Gigifactory?

So I'm optimistic that battery upgrade cost from 44kW to 66kW will under $6K additional. Is this unrealistic with the Gigifactory?

First, this numbers are just guesses. We do not know if it will be 44, 55, 60 or 70kWh as base battery size, we do not know the range of it (except over 200 real world miles) and we do not know if it will be one, two or three battery sizes to select among. But at least two is a very valid guess.

But I do believe that the option to upgrade from one battery to next size (if it is an option) will be under the $10k it was from TMS60 to TMS85. My wild guess would be $7500, but it may end up over or under this...

$35,000 base
$10,000 battery upgrade
$5,000 Dual Motor
$2,500 autopilot

Certainly hope the battery upgrade is not $10K. This would show Tesla has truly not brought down the costs of the battery.

A 15kWh battery upgrade should be no more than $5K. I am assuming $150kWh cost and greater than 50% gross margin. With the GF rumors are they are approaching $100kWh, but this likely does not include the integration cost for battery pack.

Of course it maybe packaged with other options. (Dual Motor, etc) like you have with the model S.

The Model s is a Mercedes S class/BMW 7 series competitor. Where as the model 3 is a c class and BMW 3 series competitor. A Mercedes AMGc class63 and a BMW M3 is about $65 000 new with more standard options and even nicer interior than the Tesla model S. Also those prices are negotiable where as the Teslas price is not. Elon Said that the model 3 will have Less fetures than the model s and considering that Teslas interiors are not in the same legue as the Germans. Considering also this is as important as the model S was for the company. Then considering lots of other EV's will be coming on to the market. For these reasons they would be crazy to price the under spect top model 3 higher than the competition. So expect $60000-65000 for the top model with all options wheels/super charger/sunroof/ etc going to $75000 anything higher than that would be unfair/ not competitive and rude!!!!!!!!!!!! It would just disapoint a lot of people. Actually I even think Tesla would lose money if they priced the car expensive. As sometimes you make more money selling 2 than 1.

Last edited: