Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase? 11/11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's crazy that in just a short 8 months, the LR has gone up from 49,900 to now 58,900. I would feel silly spending 9k more for a car than it's actually worth. It's the same thing as a dealer mark-up. Then again, if the demand is there and they can't fill those demands fast enough, close the gap between one trim and the top trim from 10k to now only 5k and convince the public that spending the extra 5k makes the performance trim worth buying and owning much much sooner. Good business strategy but a big F you and a middle finger to those who have continued to pay more than 49,900 for the LR. Oh Elon.

Yep. Now $10,000 more for the LR trim from the low of $48,990 in February-March 2021.
Tesla Model Y Base Price History (3).png

Source: Google Sheets

Wonder if they're just increasing the prices because of a lot of these Ys (based on the order/delivery timeframes) may come out of Texas Gigafactory with 4680/Structural Packs?

Thoughts?
There’s demand. The 4680s supposedly save Tesla money on manufacturing. But they are a ways away. Why would they up-charge in advance for cheaper costs to build? Well I guess they are doing that with FSD already, But thats likely for R&D. Most believe it’s to offset the pending EV bill rebates. Which also doesn’t make sense. Cuz thats not money out teslas pocket. It’s not a price cut discount. It’s a tax credit from the government on your taxes next year 🤦🏾‍♂️

There’s demand. The 4680s supposedly save Tesla money on manufacturing. But they are a ways away. Why would they up-charge in advance for cheaper costs to build? Well I guess they are doing that with FSD already, But thats likely for R&D. Most believe it’s to offset the pending EV bill rebates. Which also doesn’t make sense. Cuz thats not money out teslas pocket. It’s not a price cut discount. It’s a tax credit from the government on your taxes next year 🤦🏾‍♂️
It’s not money out of Tesla’s pocket but if they were selling the Y for 52k and then it qualifies for an 8k rebate they can raise the price to 60k and make an additional 8k while the price to the customer stays the same. So effectively they are negating the rebate for the consumer and taking the credit themselves.

It actually makes perfect sense why they're raising the prices. Tesla is in effect "taking" a portion or all of the EV credit.