Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase [Oct 2021 & Nov 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you show me where it says that?
There are actually two provisions in the purchase agreement that may apply. The first is under the "Delivery; Transfer of Title" paragraph (emphasis mine in both):
Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect
your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of
your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your
Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

The second with the reference to 90 days is under "No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation"
No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we
believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your order and refund
your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order or if we
determine that you are acting in bad faith. We work to fulfill your order as quickly as we can. If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90)
days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.
Alternatively,
Tesla may give you the op􀀵on to reconfigure your Vehicle at the current pricing.

Well Dec 15 is my 90 day mark, and my EDD is currently "June" so I'm going to say that Tesla would be at fault of not providing me a car in the time limit. I don't remember anyone getting their orders canceled at 90 days without being offered a car.

Well Dec 15 is my 90 day mark, and my EDD is currently "June" so I'm going to say that Tesla would be at fault of not providing me a car in the time limit. I don't remember anyone getting their orders canceled at 90 days without being offered a car.

On Reddit someone just got denied putting their car on hold to January because of that above new rule. They may not enforce it but it gives them an out now for people who are ordering now just to hold for several months. This is going to be super important if/when the new EV tax thing happens

Here is the text of the "delivery" section for my SR+ order back in May of this year:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

Now from my LR order from a week ago:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

So sometime between May and October, Tesla changed the terms. I placed my LR reservation on hold before I ever got a VIN, so I *should* be safe from having a VIN forced on me prior to 1 Dec? Though I've read that people have had VINs assigned to them even though they had placed their orders on hold and did not yet click "I'm ready". I'm wondering if those people already declined a VIN once, which is why they were assigned even though their order was on hold.

On Reddit someone just got denied putting their car on hold to January because of that above new rule. They may not enforce it but it gives them an out now for people who are ordering now just to hold for several months. This is going to be super important if/when the new EV tax thing happens
can you link? I'd like to see the details. I asked my SA about holding and he recommended waiting until/if a VIN is assigned. I told him in the showroom in early Sept that I didn't want delivery until '22.

I also expect that you will likely be forced to take delivery before next year, regardless of what tesla is telling you now. They are not going to let a bunch of people carry orders past dec 31st (my opinion, without any inside knowledge but with a lot of watching how tesla operates).
I guess we'll wait and see. I placed my order 10/29 and my EDD was 12/15-12/31 before putting a hold. I'd be very surprised if they a) have a car ready for me before the EOY and b) even more surprised if they force me to take delivery around the holidays.

I do think they'll be less lenient for folks who've been dragging out their order since September or earlier.

Tesla's Plan for Model 3 Price Increase

Oct Week 1 +$2000 (LFP battery and demand?)
Oct Week 3 +$2000 (LFP battery and demand?)
Nov Week 1 +$1000 (Include MSM)
Nov Week 3 +$1000 (Include DBM)
Dec Week 1 +$2000 (Include Solid Black)
Dec Week 3 +$1000 (Include Black and White Interior)
Jan Week 1, holiday sale is now over, only pearl white/black interior/aero is included and the price stays the same. :D
There might be some truth to this.
If they bumped the price by $8K or whatever the EV tax credit is on January 1, there might be an outrage, pitchforks and torches. The "boiling the frog" approach is a bit more subtle (it still won't go undiscovered, but it will not appear to be an obvious money grab.)

Reactions: tm1v2
There might be some truth to this.
If they bumped the price by $8K or whatever the EV tax credit is on January 1, there might be an outrage, pitchforks and torches. The "boiling the frog" approach is a bit more subtle (it still won't go undiscovered, but it will not appear to be an obvious money grab.)
The current supply chain issues are really the perfect cover for Tesla to jack up prices (though I suspect Tesla actually is incurring more costs on the supply side these days due to aforementioned supply chain issues). However, I don't think the increased supply costs can 100% explain away the price increases. Probably demand is the main driver for the increases (that and preparing for a renewed tax credit).

I placed a reservation in April for a no-option SR+ expecting future price increases due to the talk of restoring the tax credit. I kept putting it on hold waiting for the tax rebates to be sorted out. I got an email saying it was going to be canceled 11/15 and also got a text from customer service Tuesday asking me if I wanted to proceed with it and that I wouldn't get a car until June anyway. After replying to go ahead with it, it now shows this, at the original price and an unbelivably quick delivery time frame

1636128783617.png

I placed a reservation in April for a no-option SR+ expecting future price increases due to the talk of restoring the tax credit. I kept putting it on hold waiting for the tax rebates to be sorted out. I got an email saying it was going to be canceled 11/15 and also got a text from customer service Tuesday asking me if I wanted to proceed with it and that I wouldn't get a car until June anyway. After replying to go ahead with it, it now shows this, at the original price and an unbelivably quick delivery time frame

View attachment 729607
Looks like Tesla is started to twist the screws to ensure deliveries take place this quarter, not next.

Reactions: jose3030
Well it's working; I'll probably take delivery now at the old price regardless of the status of the tax credit at the time.
Not the worst place to be in. You'll likely sitting in thousands of equity as soon as you drive off the lot (or complete delivery at home) due to the low price you locked in. I have received quotes for between $46-48k for my SR+ with 7.4k miles (white seats only option), so you could probably fetch closer to 49-50k for your brand new SR+ if you wanted to flip it.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, except my order must be taken off hold by Dec 12. I'm thinking, if I'm forced to take delivery, great. I saved $5k by ordering early, but missed out on a potential $8k more savings. However, I'm also thinking about selling it for a profit if I do get it early, and ordering a LR model with the tax credit in 2022 IF the bill even passes. If the bill doesn't pass, then great, you still saved $5k anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like Tesla is started to twist the screws to ensure deliveries take place this quarter, not next.

I said a bit earlier in this thread, that it was my opinion that people expecting to carry their old orders into next year were in for a rude awakening, no matter what they were verbally told by tesla in the past, either 6 months ago or 2 weeks ago.

Tesla tries to deliver as many cars as possible, at the end of each quarter. They WILL push / force people to take delivery at old prices at the end of the year, or cancel / move them to the new pricing (thus capturing any EV tax credit anyway).

People who have locked in at the old pricing, expecting to "double dip", its likely not going to happen.

Again thats not from inside information, its just from watching how tesla delivers vehicles. They likely will "make cars available" for everyone who is locked in at old pricing, to get them delivered this year (or canceled).

Interesting comparison here between my two Model 3 purchase agreements.

Feb. 2018 Model 3 LR RWD:
xdNySjQ.jpg

Sept. 2021 Performance:
Cz5HB6H.jpg

Of course this doesn't account for the fact the 2018 earned the full tax credit.

Interesting comparison. I think Model 3 performance minus 20 inch package/brakes (M3P-) was cheaper and now it seems was by far the best deal for any model 3 and likely in that price range during that time.

I hope Tesla will have enough people buying their cars, not interesting their Telsa stock going down due to this EV Tax that might not happen in the end.

Reactions: jose3030