Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase [Oct 2021 & Nov 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carvana just gave me an offer of $58,000 for my M3 LR that was just delivered a few months ago.

Geez I'm now seriously considering selling that one and just buying ANOTHER new one. Coupled with a $7,500+ tax credit I mean WOW what a deal worth the hassle.

My 2018 Model 3P, with 27k miles (and FSD), Carvana offered me 45k which is lower than some people with SR+ are getting offered. Very strange market /shrug.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
My 2018 Model 3P, with 27k miles (and FSD), Carvana offered me 45k which is lower than some people with SR+ are getting offered. Very strange market /shrug.
CarbuyersUSA offered me $49k for my SR+ w/ 4500 miles.

With the numbers being so close to an LR excluding tax/fees, it feels wrong not to take this offer but there is a reason why I went with the SR+ in the first place. Just couldn't afford the higher trim levels and this shouldn't really change anything.

It is a total PITA to sell a car, pay off loan, unregister it, refund property taxes, buy a new car, register it, pay property taxes, new loan, etc.

But if there is a $7,500 tax credit available and $5,000+ from selling my "old" M3 that is quite a bit of change for a PITA lol.

Reactions: tm1v2
Within 90 days of what? If you ordered 8/1 and they don’t give you a VIN until December 1, when do you have to order by?

(Thanks for any info)
From the agreement:

“If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, “

It doesn’t really address the situation where it’s tesla’s fault (ie no vin). It’s clearly meant to keep these prolonged holds from happening. If they haven’t gotten you a vin then it’s teslas fault and it doesn’t apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: jose3030
I said a bit earlier in this thread, that it was my opinion that people expecting to carry their old orders into next year were in for a rude awakening, no matter what they were verbally told by tesla in the past, either 6 months ago or 2 weeks ago.

Tesla tries to deliver as many cars as possible, at the end of each quarter. They WILL push / force people to take delivery at old prices at the end of the year, or cancel / move them to the new pricing (thus capturing any EV tax credit anyway).

People who have locked in at the old pricing, expecting to "double dip", its likely not going to happen.

Again thats not from inside information, its just from watching how tesla delivers vehicles. They likely will "make cars available" for everyone who is locked in at old pricing, to get them delivered this year (or canceled).
Do you think it makes any difference if you have a legitimate reason for putting on hold/ not taking delivery? I ordered at beginning of August hoping to get car in October. I scheduled to have total shoulder replacement nov 18. When my EDD was moved to nov 3-Dec 1, i called to ask for my order to be put on hold until at least Dec 1.

I’m wondering if I might even send the delivery center a physical letter with my medical info and thank you for putting order on hold.

I figure that if I don’t get my VIN until 1st or 2nd week of Dec, i can delay order “up to 30 days” (if appropriate). I’m not really suppose to drive for 2-3 weeks anyhow

Do you think it makes any difference if you have a legitimate reason for putting on hold/ not taking delivery? I ordered at beginning of August hoping to get car in October. I scheduled to have total shoulder replacement nov 18. When my EDD was moved to nov 3-Dec 1, i called to ask for my order to be put on hold until at least Dec 1.

I’m wondering if I might even send the delivery center a physical letter with my medical info and thank you for putting order on hold.

I figure that if I don’t get my VIN until 1st or 2nd week of Dec, i can delay order “up to 30 days” (if appropriate). I’m not really suppose to drive for 2-3 weeks anyhow

its not that I dont have sympathy for your situation (I do), but I dont think your specific situation will make any difference. Its just about whether you get a vin, and if it falls within the time they will let you postpone, or not, thats it.

Remember that this is a personal opinion, not insider knowledge, but its a personal opinion based on watching tesla operate since 2018.

I traded my 2019 M3P with only 7,200 miles (no FSD) about 6 months ago for $47,500. Unfortunately, there is not enough differentiation in the M3P to justify any increase in price over an LR AWD. Most don't care for the more expensive 20" wheels and tires, the LR AWD is fast enough and you can buy a software performance upgrade if you want to get closer to 3P performance. Range is slightly better on the LR AWD without the boat anchors, the bigger brakes are only desirable to those who track or want the eye candy. Carvana, Carmax and Vroom were only offering around $500 more for FSD, glad I resisted that option.

If the M3P looked the part, had sportier seats, maybe a HUD, magnetic dampers, unique front and rear facia then maybe it would command a bit more $$$ but it is mostly a software and wheel and tire package.

I traded my 2019 M3P with only 7,200 miles (no FSD) about 6 months ago for $47,500. Unfortunately, there is not enough differentiation in the M3P to justify any increase in price over an LR AWD. Most don't care for the more expensive 20" wheels and tires, the LR AWD is fast enough and you can buy a software performance upgrade if you want to get closer to 3P performance. Range is slightly better on the LR AWD without the boat anchors, the bigger brakes are only desirable to those who track or want the eye candy. Carvana, Carmax and Vroom were only offering around $500 more for FSD, glad I resisted that option.

If the M3P looked the part, had sportier seats, maybe a HUD, magnetic dampers, unique front and rear facia then maybe it would command a bit more $$$ but it is mostly a software and wheel and tire package.

Everything you say makes sense, but what doesnt make sense (frankly) is that people are getting offers on SR+ versions of the vehicle that are 10k more. I only got a quote out of curiosity, because I would have been buying the same exact car back again (a M3P).

I agree there isnt that much differentiation between a LR AWD and a Model 3P, but a SR+ isnt worth 10k more than a model 3P either.

There are people who should and shouldn't spend the extra on the performance. If you are they type that doesn't see any use for track mode then save your money and get the slower car. No shame in buying the vehicle that fits your lifestyle best.

Personally I've always had separate sets of summer and winter wheels/tires. I'm happy to have the stock PS4Ss on the 20s and bought myself a second wheel tire combo for winter. When the summer tires are done I'll probably buy a new wheel/tire combo that is fully forged and sell the stock wheels. But track mode and that extra performance are two things you can never add later if you get a LR. And lets be honest almost no one will upgrade the LR brakes either to track a model 3. It's too heavy and will eat tires and pads.
It is a great car for autocross though which is what I'd like to do with it. I like the looks of the upgraded brakes and spoiler too so those are a bonus. For actual track days I'd much rather have a BRZ or even a Miata (if I could fit in one). So much more cost effective that way.

Reactions: raptor5244
Order my wife’s SR plus wht/wht on 8/14 at the Palo Alto, Ca showroom with EDD of Nov 14 - Dec 14 and still have not received my VIN. My sales advisor told me that I should be able to take delivery early Dec. I’m hoping my VIN won’t be assigned until early Dec and allow me to push out the delivery until early Jan.

Everything you say makes sense, but what doesnt make sense (frankly) is that people are getting offers on SR+ versions of the vehicle that are 10k more. I only got a quote out of curiosity, because I would have been buying the same exact car back again (a M3P).

I agree there isnt that much differentiation between a LR AWD and a Model 3P, but a SR+ isnt worth 10k more than a model 3P either.
Agreed, crazy market, some offers may be region specific so take them with a grain of salt. Like I said, my M3P offer was $47,500 6 months ago. By the way, 6 months earlier I could only get $42,500 for the M3P. Horrible depreciation for a 2 year old car with low miles. Anyway, when the offer increased by $5k I unloaded it. I should of held a little longer as I could probably get closer to $50k right now with the prices rising but then if this tax credit kicks in again? I assume that is for new cars only?

Our 2019 M3 SR+ with 27k miles no FSD offer is $39,200 and rising. After the $3750 tax credit I only paid $37,250 for it 2.5 years ago. I think the explanation is it is the min price threshold to get a Tesla. By the way, prior to the pandemic Tesla was offering $25k for the SR+ on trade. o_O

Look at the C8 Corvettes, some folks order at MSRP ($65-70k) and wait 9-12 month to get their car but then can flip it for $20-25k profit immediately.

It is a total PITA to sell a car, pay off loan, unregister it, refund property taxes, buy a new car, register it, pay property taxes, new loan, etc.

But if there is a $7,500 tax credit available and $5,000+ from selling my "old" M3 that is quite a bit of change for a PITA lol.
I got my SR+ (white/no options) in July and Carmax just offered be $49k with 4900 miles. I paid $39k. I think I'm going to do it today. I can't pass up that much profit so the hassle is worth it for me. Ordered a MYP.

Can't really see it going much higher but the wait times are getting longer so idk. People also thought they got a good deal a couple months ago but resale keeps going up.

Last edited:

It's the wait time

Reactions: BnGrm
I dont know about a Highlander hybrid, but the Telluride was going for Way over MSRP... like 6-10k or even more at some dealerships, so if thats something you want to deal with (unlikely) you can, but I doubt it would be a "palatable" experience hunting for one of those.

Sellers market really only works if you dont need to buy something to replace it, or, in the case of tesla, where you can buy the replacement without a huge markup (although the price has gone up like 5-6k this year i think).

Just like housing... selling your home right now might get a great price, but that only works if you dont want to buy something to replace it, or can "sit it out" until things "correct" which may be a while.

Excellent info. Local Kia dealership looks to be doing MSRP + 2K on Tellurides, BUT they say higher end trims are 6-9 month wait, so disregard that. Local Toyota dealership claims no MSRP markup, but selection is somewhat slim. Would want the right model to come in.

What do we think will happen to the used market if/when the tax credit passes? I can’t imagine these prices will hold up, unless the order backlog for new keeps it artificially high.

I got my SR+ (white/no options) in July and Carmax just offered be $49k with 4900 miles. I paid $39k. I think I'm going to do it today. I can't pass up that much profit so the hassle is worth it for me. Ordered a MYP.

Can't really see it going much higher but the wait times are getting longer so idk. People also thought they got a good deal a couple months ago but resale keeps going up.
Carmax won’t give me an offer online when I try, it says I have to go into the store. But Carvana says $58,000. If this EV tax credit gets passed I will place an order for a new Tesla the next day no question. $8,000 tax credit plus $7,500 in profit from selling my new 2021 is too good to pass up and worth the hassle.

We will see if the bill gets passed though and what changes the Senate makes to it…also I’m fairly confident that Tesla will raise the price of the M3 LR to just under the $55,000 tax credit cap over the coming weeks/months.

Reactions: jose3030 and mrmtb
Carmax won’t give me an offer online when I try, it says I have to go into the store. But Carvana says $58,000. If this EV tax credit gets passed I will place an order for a new Tesla the next day no question. $8,000 tax credit plus $7,500 in profit from selling my new 2021 is too good to pass up and worth the hassle.

We will see if the bill gets passed though and what changes the Senate makes to it…also I’m fairly confident that Tesla will raise the price of the M3 LR to just under the $55,000 tax credit cap over the coming weeks/months.
Yeah I had to go in to carmax and it took about an hour for the appraisal. Sold it today.

Vroom was $47.5k
Carvana $46k

Reactions: Jeremy3292

I get what you're saying, but it's disappointing Tesla is completely eating the incentives :(