Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another price increase tonight [04/06/2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I absolutely love my Model 3, but with the price increases, coupled with the fact that it has become our primary family car with gas price increases and my wife's MB GLE350 getting a whopping 16 mpg on premium - I'm strongly considering reserving a Model Y at this point and using what should now be equity from my 3 to trade in for it - as I got my Model 3 LR at 50k (was a left-over 2021 demo in December)

I absolutely love my Model 3, but with the price increases, coupled with the fact that it has become our primary family car with gas price increases and my wife's MB GLE350 getting a whopping 16 mpg on premium - I'm strongly considering reserving a Model Y at this point and using what should now be equity from my 3 to trade in for it - as I got my Model 3 LR at 50k (was a left-over 2021 demo in December)
Dang, I should see what my SR+ is worth now. In 2019 it was $39,990, after the $3,750 tax credit we only paid $36,240. Some folks were buying SRs off menu for $35k less the $3,750 tax credit, $31,250. I went for the SR+ for the included Autopilot, heated seats, fog lights and 20 miles of extra range. It is hard to believe only 3 years later the same car with a little extra range is now $47k plus delivery.

While it may be good for resale I am actually disappointed that pricing is going in the wrong direction. The car itself is decent but it becomes hard to justify paying a huge premium for this vehicle over a quality economy ICE based vehicle. I mean you can buy two Toyota Corolla Hybrids for the price of an M3 SR now.

Wow...16? I shouldn't complain too much then. I get 15 on a loaded down Tacoma with a 2" lift using 87 octane.

Wow...16? I shouldn't complain too much then. I get 15 on a loaded down Tacoma with a 2" lift using 87 octane.

The thing is just an absolute pig, and most of her driving is stop and go around town. Its rated at I think 22 hwy/18 city and we've never gotten anywhere near that. On the bright side, we've learned to get by on less space in a car as a family of 4 with the Model 3, even planning to take on a road trip from Cincinnati to Charleston SC in July.

We had been looking at getting rid of it, but really struggling with what to replace it with because we very rarely have to have two cars. That said, I still like having the utility of an SUV when we need to go pick something up. I feel like if we just sold her SUV and replaced it with a small second car that only gets driven when necessary, we'd be missing out too much on utility. If I were to trade in and get a bit of extra towards the Y though, that would open us up to where we could literally get anything for a second car.

While it may be good for resale I am actually disappointed that pricing is going in the wrong direction. The car itself is decent but it becomes hard to justify paying a huge premium for this vehicle over a quality economy ICE based vehicle. I mean you can buy two Toyota Corolla Hybrids for the price of an M3 SR now.
@raptor5244 Buying two Corolla hybrids won't make either of them as fun as a Model 3. :)

If cars are just transportation appliances to you though then I agree, Model 3 pricing would be difficult to justify over a hybrid Corolla or Prius or such. You have assign some value to the fundamental EV benefits, and/or to it being much more satisfying to drive.

Reactions: WhiteWi
@raptor5244 Buying two Corolla hybrids won't make either of them as fun as a Model 3. :)

If cars are just transportation appliances to you though then I agree, Model 3 pricing would be difficult to justify over a hybrid Corolla or Prius or such. You have assign some value to the fundamental EV benefits, and/or to it being much more satisfying to drive.
True, although this may be the first Corolla that is actually fun to drive. 300hp, AWD with a manual. ;)

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 2.17.33 PM.png

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
True, although this may be the first Corolla that is actually fun to drive. 300hp, AWD with a manual. ;)

View attachment 794003
Oh yeah that one looks like legit fun. With 3 LSDs including a center diff that can fully lock it's a shoe-in for an STI or Evo.

But no way will you be buying 2 of those for the price of a Model 3. Not anytime soon at least, and not the good version with the full set of limited slips.

Reactions: raptor5244
We had been looking at getting rid of it, but really struggling with what to replace it with because we very rarely have to have two cars. That said, I still like having the utility of an SUV when we need to go pick something up.
Ford Maverick Hybrid? Small pickup that gets 40/33mpg, MSRP $22k-32k, but hard to find.
Toyota Sienna Hybrid? Van that gets 36/36mpg (35/36mpg with AWD) and more usable space than most SUVs.
Or sell the GLE350 if you do not really need another car and rent a van or pickup as needed.

Reactions: tm1v2
It didn't give me an option to change.

But I'm out of town and of course they assign my VIN for the LR the day I start vacation. I think that's why. I'm gonna give up this VIN and see if I can change it to a P after.
Oh man. Yeah that makes sense. Since you already have a VIN it’s not letting you change. Good luck and I hope you get to change with the old pricing. Keep us updated.