Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was to put an order for Model Y to replace my model 3 in few months, now I'm officially crossing Tesla off a buy list. **** me :(
TBH, if you were looking to replace your Model 3 in a few months, you should have put in an order like half a year ago.

I put in an order for a YLR in March looking to replace my 3 at the end of the year. As luck (or unluck) would have it, I got rear ended and the 3 is totalled. Switched to the Performance model and that should be ready end of this month.

Wow up another $3k today.

When I put in my order back in November I thought I was late as there were so many earlier price hikes in 2021.

Plus we never got a $7k tax credit I thought I might get.

Now the price has gone up $9k since my order.

But the stock market is going down because of a likely recession. Prices on everything and demand are still going up. It doesn't make sense that both of these can continue.

Here is a chart showing the Model Y price history:

Tesla Model Y Base Price History.png

Chart shows trims available to order online in US. SR-RWD was available for short time. Off The Menu (OTM) SR-AWD (dashed) restricted to employees only. Link to data.

We started looking into EV's earlier this week and had it narrowed down to Audi e-tron and Tesla YP/LR; was watching some comparison videos and had pretty much-locked mind for the YP; go back to the computer to order and was confused why the price is shown was different than what I saw a few hours back.

Advance notice of some kind would have been nice from Tesla, prices will be going up in X amount of days weeks or whatever. anyhow had to pay another $2000 :(

On the bright side, delivery was estimated between August to October, now it shows btw July 3rd to July 31st. Not sure how accurate that information is.

Reactions: mrazndead
Craziness. But I guess the market determines the value.

If people keep buying at these prices, then the price may very well keep going up.

Tesla stock & early cars sure turned out to be a solid investment. Now? Not so much.

Tesla seems to have reduced the cost to upgrade from a Model Y LR to a Model Y Performance.

When I purchased mine, ordered in November '21, there was a $5,000 cost to upgrade.

Now I see Tesla has reduced the cost to $4,000.

Frankly... for UberTurbine wheels, matrix headlights, painted brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, nicer metal pedals AND that cool red underline below "Dual Motor"....

I think it's a great value!

When I ordered my MYP last July it seemed like a pretty decent value. But if I was to order one now, it would cost me over $80k when you include TTL, charger install, and winter wheels. I'd probably be forced to look at something else, which would suck because I love the MYP.

TBH, if you were looking to replace your Model 3 in a few months, you should have put in an order like half a year ago.

I put in an order for a YLR in March looking to replace my 3 at the end of the year. As luck (or unluck) would have it, I got rear ended and the 3 is totalled. Switched to the Performance model and that should be ready end of this month.
I said put an order, this way I can replace it in spring time.

Wow up another $3k today.

When I put in my order back in November I thought I was late as there were so many earlier price hikes in 2021.

Plus we never got a $7k tax credit I thought I might get.

Now the price has gone up $9k since my order.

But the stock market is going down because of a likely recession. Prices on everything and demand are still going up. It doesn't make sense that both of these can continue.
And you didnt mention interest rates. Mortgages are already back to almost 6%. Not sure what car loans are.. but Im guessing between 3-4%. Nothing about this feels comfortable. Just feels like the entire bottom is going to fall out any day and every number will be somewhat meaningless.

When I ordered my MYP last July it seemed like a pretty decent value. But if I was to order one now, it would cost me over $80k when you include TTL, charger install, and winter wheels. I'd probably be forced to look at something else, which would suck because I love the MYP.
Honestly I won't be surprised if the cost and price of the car went up again later this year or early next year. It's not so much demand that's affecting big price hikes. Demand has always been there. The cost of batteries went up from suppliers significantly. The Ford Mach e is costing 25k more to build because of the battery. Ford will either have to jack up the prices a lot, or continue to lose money on each car they build and sell. Will be the same dilemma for Tesla. It's not sustainable cuz at some price point, people won't be able to buy the cars. If this continues, lots of ev makers will go bye bye. Lucid, rivian, Ford evs, etc... Tesla... Who knows. EV is not the long term answer. We need more mass travel transport options, public transport, hydrogen, something else to be discovered... Get your evs ASAP if you can. God speed..

Tesla seems to have reduced the cost to upgrade from a Model Y LR to a Model Y Performance.

When I purchased mine, ordered in November '21, there was a $5,000 cost to upgrade.

Now I see Tesla has reduced the cost to $4,000.

Frankly... for UberTurbine wheels, matrix headlights, painted brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, nicer metal pedals AND that cool red underline below "Dual Motor"....

I think it's a great value!

If the 7 seat was an option for MYP I would get that. Yes I agree its worth the 4-5k. Look at the graph above, at one point it was closer to a $10k difference.

And you didnt mention interest rates. Mortgages are already back to almost 6%. Not sure what car loans are.. but Im guessing between 3-4%. Nothing about this feels comfortable. Just feels like the entire bottom is going to fall out any day and every number will be somewhat meaningless.

Yeah if interest rates continue to climb there will be other changes and areas impacted.

I'm not sure the fed needs to do the historic actions they are doing to raise rates 75 basis points. Previously they made a mistake to have rates way too low for too long. Now they are probably increasing them too fast. The supply constraints that are leading to inflation are the result of shortages either from covid dealys, wars, etc. They arn't typical historic supply constraints from lack of profit potential or discretionary demand. So I don't know raising rates as the fed is even improves inflation; or causes more benefits than harm.

Reactions: Daekwan
Honestly I won't be surprised if the cost and price of the car went up again later this year or early next year. It's not so much demand that's affecting big price hikes. Demand has always been there. The cost of batteries went up from suppliers significantly. The Ford Mach e is costing 25k more to build because of the battery. Ford will either have to jack up the prices a lot, or continue to lose money on each car they build and sell. Will be the same dilemma for Tesla. It's not sustainable cuz at some price point, people won't be able to buy the cars. If this continues, lots of ev makers will go bye bye. Lucid, rivian, Ford evs, etc... Tesla... Who knows. EV is not the long term answer. We need more mass travel transport options, public transport, hydrogen, something else to be discovered... Get your evs ASAP if you can. God speed..

I agree with the first part of your post but not the last. The problem isn't EV's being a bad answer. The problem is supply of batteries can't scale enough to meet soaring demand. The answer could be a number of solutions;

Use batteries with easier to source materials (ie LFP)
Use smaller batteries
Install more fast chargers so smaller batteries can be used
Increase charging speed
Sell smaller vehicles (tesla model 1 or model 2)
Increase mining of battery materials (lithium, etc)