Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the first part of your post but not the last. The problem isn't EV's being a bad answer. The problem is supply of batteries can't scale enough to meet soaring demand. The answer could be a number of solutions;

Use batteries with easier to source materials (ie LFP)
Use smaller batteries
Install more fast chargers so smaller batteries can be used
Increase charging speed
Sell smaller vehicles (tesla model 1 or model 2)
Increase mining of battery materials (lithium, etc)
Increase nuclear power plant needs to happen first. =) chargers and batteries without the actual power source are useless.

Yup, I don't even have my car yet and it already increased in value 😁 .Good thing, I ordered when I did. Actually, the Model 3 also went up by 3k, the S and X went up by 5K I think.
now I'm thinking since my reservation is already worth $3K and as I see it, I will not get the car until 1Q 23 at the earliest. maybe its time to float around the possibility of selling this reservation after a couple more price hikes and use that money as a down payment for a Used X or maybe even a Mach E

Will Tesla honor the price for existing reservation holders??
Yeah they should honor it. But I would suggest a change in that policy if people switched from MYLR to MYP.
Should be something like this:

"We will gladly honor your original order date price of the Model Y Long Range, but if you are changing your trim to Model Y Performance, you may be subject to price increase effective on the date of the change. If there are any price increases since your original order date of the Model Y Long Range, you will be subject to the new prices effective the date of your switch. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused, but this is to ensure we can keep the estimated delivery dates as close as possible for customers whom ordered the Model Y Performance originally."

I'm in Vancouver, so the prices are slightly different, but the relative increases are similar.

The exact same car now, which I picked up May 20, 2022 that I ordered in September, 2021 is over $24K CAD more expensive all-in after taxes, fees, etc.! I am struggling making sense of this all...it's all crazy.

Reactions: bob00
It will def affect demand, but demand has been so high they can afford to shave some demand, reap fat margin off those willing to pay this... then when and if the order backlog falls off they can decide whether to dial prices back, at least if materials and inflation don’t prevent that.
I wouldn’t pay it, but hard to argue with the logic of it.
I’ve never seen a auto manufacturer lower the price of their car. Let alone the most popular ev manufacturer. Tesla will simply add small features here and there, improve build quality, etc to justify the price increases.

Reactions: tkram82
Increase nuclear power plant needs to happen first. =) chargers and batteries without the actual power source are useless.

In the US I think most areas have tons of power to meet the needs. If electricity went up in price you'd see even more power come online.

Now there are countries such as Japan where it probably doesn't make sense to have EV use surpass ICE until they have better supply options. If they just burn a bunch of fossil fuels to make power then EV's are probably worse for the environment than ICE.

Reactions: mrazndead
I’ve never seen a auto manufacturer lower the price of their car. Let alone the most popular ev manufacturer. Tesla will simply add small features here and there, improve build quality, etc to justify the price increases.

They also have lowered prices at other times for S and X.

So it’s not just possible but plausible in this case. Plausible doesn’t mean likely though. The order backlog is so freaking long it’s surely going to be a couple of years before they have put a serious dent in it and by that point inflation etc will have had an effect on manufacturing costs and so simply not raising prices any more, or slowing price increases, kinda seems more likely.
But who knows. Two years is a long time out to try to predict anything given the weird state of the economy, issues with climate change and food costs etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: arbitrage000
This is unreal, but how market demand works. I would never buy by MYLR at this price. Happy with the car, but if this is where the price will remain for the next few years, my next EV will not be a Tesla, unfortunately. And if VW or GM can produce, they are going to dominate the less than $50K US market. I am getting more and more anxious about any damage to mine at this point, because at 2 years old, I won't get enough money for a replacement, as I paid $13K less than this when new. If I had to replace at this point, given the wait for EVs, I'd go back to ICE for the next few years, and most likely move on to another EV brand in the $50K range in the '24/'25 timeline. I have to think this is where most of the middle class in the US will be for the next 3-5 years...and definitely longer for those with lower income. FWIW, I was in an ID4 at a car show, and it has less range, but it is a very solid, nicely built car, and seems well worth the $50K. I even took a look at a Bolt EUV I saw in a parking lot, and for the price, I think it is a steal.

This is unreal, but how market demand works. I would never buy by MYLR at this price. Happy with the car, but if this is where the price will remain for the next few years, my next EV will not be a Tesla, unfortunately. And if VW or GM can produce, they are going to dominate the less than $50K US market. I am getting more and more anxious about any damage to mine at this point, because at 2 years old, I won't get enough money for a replacement, as I paid $13K less than this when new. If I had to replace at this point, given the wait for EVs, I'd go back to ICE for the next few years, and most likely move on to another EV brand in the $50K range in the '24/'25 timeline. I have to think this is where most of the middle class in the US will be for the next 3-5 years...and definitely longer for those with lower income. FWIW, I was in an ID4 at a car show, and it has less range, but it is a very solid, nicely built car, and seems well worth the $50K. I even took a look at a Bolt EUV I saw in a parking lot, and for the price, I think it is a steal.
VW ID.4 is definitely $30k - $40k EV and Bolt is less than $20k EV. It has less value more than that.

Wow, 15k more than what I paid for last Fall. This car is not worth 70k...
Same here, ordered it back at $51.5K. The extra $14.5K price difference would cover almost 25 years worth of home charging.

We love our Y LR but don’t know if I would order another at current price. Then again, it may keep getting even more expensive as Austin and Berlin aren’t outputting enough yet to meet demand. Tesla still makes the best EVs with the best charging network.

A few YT videos demonstrated road-tripping with the new F150 Lightning and both confirmed it is getting 260 miles instead of the rated 300 miles, something Teslas kept getting criticized for (although I routinely exceed EPA efficiency on both our S and Y). EA charging network is also cumbersome to activate and get charging started and not as simple as plug-n-go like a Supercharger. Hopefully EA makes their interface more intuitive as there will only be more users in the future relying on that network.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyjae
Yea I guess you can wait around for a year or two to save $1,000. If you’re waiting around in an ICE, you’ll spend a lot more than $1,000 in gas!
Or I could sell the Y I just got, buy a new HRV for the cost of my down payment and use my $11,000-$12,000 profit to subsidize gas costs vs electricity costs the rest of my life. Just saying.
I’m not doing that, but when cars get up around $70,000? Acting like they’re an economy move rapidly becomes not much of an argument.

The cost of batteries went up from suppliers significantly. The Ford Mach e is costing 25k more to build because of the battery.
Someone badly misrepresented what Ford said. The price of the battery did not increase by 25k.

It does seem like they got their hands full with this recall. It's a pretty ugly one - if you floor the accelerator too often, it melts the junction? WTF? It was bad enough that the MME had a 5 second limit.

As for yet another price increase, it's great for the existing owners. Keeps our resell propped up.

In the US I think most areas have tons of power to meet the needs. If electricity went up in price you'd see even more power come online.
We're very far away from EV having any impact on power demand, particularly so long as owners will use a tiny amount of thought in scheduling. (if the TOU plans don't force this anyway). Air conditioners are the runaway consumer in most states.

Power spent to charge EVs is not too different from power spent to refine gasoline.

Or I could sell the Y I just got, buy a new HRV for the cost of my down payment and use my $11,000-$12,000 profit to subsidize gas costs vs electricity costs the rest of my life. Just saying.
I’m not doing that, but when cars get up around $70,000? Acting like they’re an economy move rapidly becomes not much of an argument.
With all due respect, a Honda HRV is nothing compared to a Tesla Model Y even after this new price. This is like comparing a Kumquat to an Orange. Sure, you may get the savings from the HRV, but keep in mind dealers are charging markup anywhere from $5000 and up + the additional dealer addons that you never need. AND the HRV is a brand new model so you definitely can expect there will be some kind of INSANE markup.

Reactions: cusetownusa