Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all due respect, a Honda HRV is nothing compared to a Tesla Model Y even after this new price. This is like comparing a Kumquat to an Orange. Sure, you may get the savings from the HRV, but keep in mind dealers are charging markup anywhere from $5000 and up + the additional dealer addons that you never need. AND the HRV is a brand new model so you definitely can expect there will be some kind of INSANE markup.
I’d get a new current model at @$23.400 which I can do this minute by driving 7 miles to one dealer or 14 to another. The new one does nothing for me. They aren’t comparable driving experiences, not by a 6-level factor. But if people want to start talking about gas prices as the driving reason to go Tesla vs ICE? Let’s talk economics.
My actual dilemma with the Y was whether to dump or keep an x3 M40I with only 9,000 miles on it and every known option. It was a better built car in every way, handled better, had a faster 0-60. Trust me, gas prices even at 23.5mpg were not a major factor.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
With all due respect, a Honda HRV is nothing compared to a Tesla Model Y even after this new price. This is like comparing a Kumquat to an Orange. Sure, you may get the savings from the HRV, but keep in mind dealers are charging markup anywhere from $5000 and up + the additional dealer addons that you never need. AND the HRV is a brand new model so you definitely can expect there will be some kind of INSANE markup.

Maybe the HRV will have a markup, but there are plenty of ICE vehicles rolling out every day with little to no markup, and they cost much less than what a Tesla costs.

I'd say he had a good point that the Model 3 originally was an affordable vehicle the the masses could buy and there were large economic benefits of going to these types of EV. When prices have gone up so much for Tesla's and all EV's they become more of pure luxury item and not an item to save money.

$3,000 for LR

The price increases don’t seem to be affecting demand at all.

Eventually though price increases combined with rapidly rising interest rates will at least soften demand somewhat.

Yep and I would think until Tesla builds more vehicles than the current niche market they will continue to have free reign with occasional price increases.

Reactions: T-Mom and advocate8
now I'm thinking since my reservation is already worth $3K and as I see it, I will not get the car until 1Q 23 at the earliest. maybe its time to float around the possibility of selling this reservation after a couple more price hikes and use that money as a down payment for a Used X or maybe even a Mach E
Good luck in obtaining a Mach E because they won't be available until sometime in late '23 if then :cool:

now I'm thinking since my reservation is already worth $3K and as I see it, I will not get the car until 1Q 23 at the earliest. maybe its time to float around the possibility of selling this reservation after a couple more price hikes and use that money as a down payment for a Used X or maybe even a Mach E
Does Tesla allow that? I don't they like people buying their cars then selling them for profit after delivery but I don't know. But even if it is possible, I will probably consider Kia EV6 or the Lightning rather than the Mach-E but then again that is just me...... plus Kia's dealer are allowed to tack in ridiculous amount of dealer upcharge (not sure if I want to pay that for a Kia), while Ford is discouraging the dealers to avoid doing this especially on the Lightning.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Here’s a little dark secret -some people are taking advantage of these hikes and flipping their reservation to new buyers and pocketing the difference. Don’t believe me just search this forum. I’ve seen 3 successfully sell theirs in the past week right here! It is sad but Tesla seems to be allowing this.

Reactions: slvervper99
Here’s a little dark secret -some people are taking advantage of these hikes and flipping their reservation to new buyers and pocketing the difference. Don’t believe me just search this forum. I’ve seen 3 successfully sell theirs in the past week right here! It is sad but Tesla seems to be allowing this.
Well, I'm not flipping mine😁, I am financing my car because I don't have the cash to pay for it - cash (except my down payment). An additional $3k to financing will mean an additional $60-90/month which I definitely do not want to pay.😁

Reactions: Happy Hippo
With this new price increase, MY is at the same price point as a X5. Tesla comes out on top due to gas price only. Otherwise, not sure why one would buy a MY.
X5s run north of 75k. Then add some options they go way above 80k. I do get your point though. BMWs have a nice interior. Compared to Teslas simplistic design. Running costs are obviously much higher too.