Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

another quarter panel damage estimate question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
was backing car out of a spot at the grocery store to straighten it out, and another car backed out into the aisle (and me) at exactly the same time. offset by one or two spots, so the impact ended up being my passenger quarter panel and the right side of the bumper.

any ideas how much this will be? already started a claim with my insurance and got her insurance info, but I'm curious while I wait...

20220512_135325.jpg

20220512_135316-2.jpg

other question is: if I use a Tesla shop, can I keep the car and drive it while I wait for them to line up parts? would rather not have to rack up even more insurance payout for a rental when the car drives just fine as is (minus the cosmetic issues of course)...

I had much more damage to the front bumper, front quarter panels and frunk lid on my M3 and was able to drive it around for about 450 miles until the Tesla authorized body shop had the parts and was ready to work on the car. Of course, prior to that, they had to look the car over and do an estimate but that only took a couple of hours.

Reactions: crackers8199
I had much more damage to the front bumper, front quarter panels and frunk lid on my M3 and was able to drive it around for about 450 miles until the Tesla authorized body shop had the parts and was ready to work on the car. Of course, prior to that, they had to look the car over and do an estimate but that only took a couple of hours.

that's reassuring, thanks. car drives fine and luckily i work from home, so it doesn't really leave the house all that much anyway...just once or twice a day to run errands / grocery shopping / etc.

In the Seattle area, I had 3 quotes from "authorized" tesla shops for this damage in the pic becauseit is part of the quarter panel. 9k, 11k and 14k. I took it to an actual "Tesla body shop" NOT an authorized shop (yes they are different) and got it fixed, not replaced, for $3300. Not every state has an actual tesla body shop so search around. At the time, it may have changed since then, I was told that authorized shops can only replace damaged parts not repair them. But a Tesla body shop can repair damage if its possible. Like I said, this may be different now.
Your damage is definitely worse than mine was and is part of the quarter panel. Which is quite expensive to replace, plus your rear bumper.
20210510_023656.jpg
Good luck

is this something a regular tesla SC can do? i went into the app and did the collision and glass repair thing, and it's offering me a slot this week at our local SC (which is NOT, as far as i know, a collision / body shop). do the local SCs have contracts with body shops in the area to take care of something like this? i don't really feel like taking my car there just to have them tell me they can't do it, and then have to make another appt at an actual body shop...

Its possible some SC's could also be body shops, but honestly I don't know. They are 2 separate shops in my area, Bellevue wa. If they are not a body shop they should at least be able to recommend a local one for you.

that would be fine, i'm just trying to avoid wasting my time taking the car in just to have them tell me i have to take it somewhere else later...

was backing car out of a spot at the grocery store to straighten it out, and another car backed out into the aisle (and me) at exactly the same time. offset by one or two spots, so the impact ended up being my passenger quarter panel and the right side of the bumper.

any ideas how much this will be? already started a claim with my insurance and got her insurance info, but I'm curious while I wait...

View attachment 803434

View attachment 803437

other question is: if I use a Tesla shop, can I keep the car and drive it while I wait for them to line up parts? would rather not have to rack up even more insurance payout for a rental when the car drives just fine as is (minus the cosmetic issues of course)...
Jeez....a great body guy might just be able to pull that rear qtr out and blend it to perfection, that's not that bad! The rear bumper may or may not be repairable. Plastic is tough to work with. But overall, not a bad fender bender......if that makes you feel better😄

Reactions: Rmchrger