Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Question about Music on USB - albums with multiple discs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know people have discussed the inadequacies of the USB music integration in Tesla's in general (e.g., losing album cover art with a recent software update), but hoping there's a simpler solution for my latest question.

I loaded about 10GB of music onto a USB 3.0 flash drive, mostly so it is easier to play music for the kids (yes, we have listened to Frozen and Frozen 2 far too many times), and also because my old iPod Nano, which I used in my Toyota Prius, is unsupported on Tesla vehicles. Using Frozen as an example, I first noticed that, if I went into "Albums," I'd see multiple albums entitled Frozen, which is because the songs were performed by different artists (even though I set the "Album Artist" to something generic like "Frozen"). To fix this, I just changed "Artist" to Frozen (via the mp3tag application I downloaded for my PC).

Now for my second issue - we have the two-disc version of Frozen, and I also edited the tags so each disc was identified as disc 1 and 2. However, when I go into the Frozen album and play track 1, it will play disc 1, track 1, followed by disc 2, track 1, and so forth.

Assuming disc 1 is 25 tracks, I know one solution is to make everything 1 disc, so that disc 2, track 1 will be identified as song 26 on disc 1 (rather than song 1 on disc 2).

However, is there a different way to resolve this, so that the songs play in sequential order? Is there a special way to tag the albums? For example, does it matter if I tag a song as Track 1, as opposed to Track 1/25? Similarly, does it matter if I tag a song as Disc 1, as opposed to Disc 1/2?

Thanks for any assistance or input.

For tagging, I changed all my multiple albums to singles, and renumbered the tracks 101, 102, ... 201, 202... etc. This was not actually that hard to do on my computer using the free app MusicBrainz Picard. It actually prefers this method, and wasn't able to look up albums that had something like "disk 1" appended. So I had to make the album names the same, and then it combined them automatically, then writes them to disk.

For tagging, I changed all my multiple albums to singles, and renumbered the tracks 101, 102, ... 201, 202... etc. This was not actually that hard to do on my computer using the free app MusicBrainz Picard. It actually prefers this method, and wasn't able to look up albums that had something like "disk 1" appended. So I had to make the album names the same, and then it combined them automatically, then writes them to disk.
Thanks. I should have thought about doing that - 101, 102... 201, 202. Instead, and as in my example where disc 1 is 25 tracks, I just renamed disc 2, track 1 as track 26....

In any case, thank you for letting me know I was not doing something wrong w/ my mp3 tags.