Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another question for Plaid and new LR refreshed owners - usb music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone with the new Plaid or 2021 refreshed LR Model S tell us if USB music cover art works on your UI?

We pre-refresh Model S owners have had USB music cover art broken for many months now after some update about a year ago. I’ve been waiting and hoping that each new update would fix this issue, but no luck… still broken.

I’m hoping someone with the new S can test usb music and see if this is fixed in the new UI.

Thank in advance…

And does the interface for USB music work decently? Does it remember where it left off when you come back to the car for the refresh?
I'm also interested in any reply to this. If I leave the car (& even press Pause on the controls), sometimes the song will continue when I get back into the car (but the USB control on the screen is gone), and/or the song from the USB is gone & control is on Streaming or Tunein or....

Reactions: DelPhonic1
No cover art, and won't play HD music either. I own 2 Tesla's (2021 Y LR & 2021 S LR) The uniformity between them is stupid. The Y will play HD music the S seems not to be able to. NO Cover art on either from USB.

Yes, USB songs have cover art if they have it embedded or you have the cover art files with the song. It will not attempt to pull them off the Internet based on song/artist.

Yes, the USB drive randomly disappears while you're away from the car and when you return it has defaulted to "select music source" or one of the streaming services. There is no rhyme or reason... not time based as sometimes the USB drive will stay online overnight with no issues, other times it will disappear in the 10 minutes it takes to run into a store and back. I've tried pausing before leaving the car, I've tried leaving it playing. All the technology in this car and something as simple as a media player stumps the engineers. Maybe they should talk to the VLC folks... their player seems to work as expected.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Yes, USB songs have cover art if they have it embedded or you have the cover art files with the song. It will not attempt to pull them off the Internet based on song/artist.
I would disagree with that, all my USB mp3's have the album art embedded in them. I can put the same USB stick in another car I have and the album art shows up just fine (that car has no internet connection at all), but in the Tesla there is nothing shown.
Tesla broke this a year ago, I'm guessing on purpose for some reason because how can it take a year to fix something so simple? I would suggest they shut off the function to download them off the internet (as you said) but also killed off the ability to pull the album art from the mp3 itself, accidentally or on purpose who knows, either way.......Elon hears USB album art is broken.....shrugs shoulders, meh!

There is some discussion of high res-formats on another thread. Specifically, the new cars will not play files with 96 kHz resolution -- they play 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and, ironically, 176 kHz. This appears to be a bug since 96 kHz is supported in other models, but, for now, the only option seems to be to down-rez your files.

On a slightly related note, after installing 2021.32.10 last night, the release notes seem to be from the previous update...

2021.32.10-1.jpg

2021.32.10-2.jpg

I am quite certain I had sub woofer volume control and Immersive Sound a couple weeks ago. I know because I was showing it to a friend specifically. Maybe "Media Settings" and "Audio Settings" are different menus. Not sure why you would want multiple places to adjust sub woofer settings.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
On a slightly related note, after installing 2021.32.10 last night, the release notes seem to be from the previous update...

View attachment 709211
View attachment 709212

I am quite certain I had sub woofer volume control and Immersive Sound a couple weeks ago. I know because I was showing it to a friend specifically. Maybe "Media Settings" and "Audio Settings" are different menus. Not sure why you would want multiple places to adjust sub woofer settings.
I had an update glitch with 24.5. The update froze and I stayed at 24.4. This was 3 weeks ago. The next update I received was 32.10. Prior version bass slider available but immersive sound controls at bottom absent.

View attachment 709211
View attachment 709212

That looks like a tedious method of turning up the volume.

There is some discussion of high res-formats on another thread. Specifically, the new cars will not play files with 96 kHz resolution -- they play 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and, ironically, 176 kHz. This appears to be a bug since 96 kHz is supported in other models, but, for now, the only option seems to be to down-rez your files.
Ridiculous, a car with 10 teraflops of processing power can’t play a high resolution FLAC.

Quick note about my media player woes... I have noticed the past couple of weeks that I haven't had any issues with USB drive media. The music has been starting right where it left off and the drives haven't gotten confused about each other (the console music drive and glovebox Sentry drive). Fingers crossed that some update fixed it.

Reactions: byeLT4
Annndddd another update. 2021.32.20.1 dropped yesterday. Same Release Notes as last two updates... see above.
It would be interesting to see if there is more to the update than what they describe. Updating sound system 3? Times now just doesn’t seem like a top of the list issue. Anyone able to find any other information on updates.