Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Range Post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jimt29

2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD, MSM/Black
Aug 13, 2015
Warwick, RI
Listings
Well, after 5 months I charged the Model Y to 100% on 11/1/2020. Display was 315. Today the battery was depleted to 8%.

Total mileage is 201. The last 100 miles I drove extremely conservative.

I live in Rhode Island which has a lot of hills.

Well, after 5 months I charged the Model Y to 100% on 11/1/2020. Display was 315. Today the battery was depleted to 8%.

A combination of low temperature and hills is the main factor. My last 30 miles average w/mile is around 300 or .3 kw. Since MY has a 75 kw battery, I get around 250 miles (75 divided by .3) range based on my driving style. If I want to get 315 range, I will need to shoot for 238 w/mile - which is very slow acceleration and not go over 60 MPH...ugh.

Last edited:
What are your hills like?

I go up and down a 2000ft mountain regularly in the Bay Area. Here's the stats from one of my latest drives:

~45 miles, 235 kWh/mi average

I love how recovering 3+ kWh from regen braking lowers the average consumption so much. You'd figure I was creeping along at 30mph when I was actually flooring it on the climb (>>900Wh/mi ;))!

MY_consumption_hills.jpg

Just went on a trip to Fl. Keys, full trip charge..315...destination was 175...had 41 when I arrived...all turnpike avg. 72 to 75 mph. The keys only have ONE Supercharger and that was 22 miles away...made it with 18 on it. Indicator in the red. So long range driving is much more predictable in a gas vehicle. Won’t make that mistake again.Still great around town...when traveling at a high rate of speed, you really need to plan out your trip so you can get a charge every 200 miles. I never took this in consideration when I purchased the car...Will have to be careful when taking another trip...this is just FYI

James99: EVs require a completely different mindset. The fastest way to travel in a Tesla: plan to keep your SOC between 10% and 65%. Supercharge every 130-150 miles. With an almost depleted battery, it only takes 15-20min to charge to 65-70%. (ABeterRoutePlanner is your friend!)

There really should be a very prominent sticky describing how simple it is to road trip with a Tesla, along routes with Superchargers. This has been discussed numerous times.

Just went on a trip to Fl. Keys, full trip charge..315...destination was 175...had 41 when I arrived...all turnpike avg. 72 to 75 mph. The keys only have ONE Supercharger and that was 22 miles away...made it with 18 on it. Indicator in the red. So long range driving is much more predictable in a gas vehicle. Won’t make that mistake again.Still great around town...when traveling at a high rate of speed, you really need to plan out your trip so you can get a charge every 200 miles. I never took this in consideration when I purchased the car...Will have to be careful when taking another trip...this is just FYI
The size of the tires, headwind and speed makes a difference. Your first calculation had your MY at 68% efficiency. That's really low but I have seen that before on highway going from Houston to Dallas. Much better efficiency coming back though. Check tire pressure. Some like to run a little extra air to help mileage when traveling. Your last drive was right in the 80 % range. This is very normal when traveling. All my planning is done at 80% + buffer. 100 mile drive multiply by 1.2 add buffer. 100 * 1.2 then add 30, so every 100 miles, I calculate range of 150.
Pro tip:
Set range to display in percentages. Charge and allow navigation to carucate remaining energy at destination to your liking. Use energy program with Trip tab open to note how well traveling on green line. If falling below line, slow down. If above planed percent line, speed up as desired.

What are your hills like?

I go up and down a 2000ft mountain regularly in the Bay Area. Here's the stats from one of my latest drives:

~45 miles, 235 kWh/mi average

I love how recovering 3+ kWh from regen braking lowers the average consumption so much. You'd figure I was creeping along at 30mph when I was actually flooring it on the climb (>>900Wh/mi ;))!

View attachment 612453

Can a long downhill recharge the battery to 100% and if so what happens after that? I live near sea level in Torrance, Ca and will be driving to Carmel next week. The Tesla Navigator and ABRP both have the same suggested route which involves go up over the Tejon Summit (4160ft) on the 5. I am not worried about the range so much as the impact of the the steep downhill. I have seen tons of Tesla's of all types on this route, so I assume it safe, I just want to know if I need to do anything special.

Can a long downhill recharge the battery to 100% and if so what happens after that? I live near sea level in Torrance, Ca and will be driving to Carmel next week. The Tesla Navigator and ABRP both have the same suggested route which involves go up over the Tejon Summit (4160ft) on the 5. I am not worried about the range so much as the impact of the the steep downhill. I have seen tons of Tesla's of all types on this route, so I assume it safe, I just want to know if I need to do anything special.
Once battery reaches a SoC where regen isn’t available. It is “derated”.

it just means you need to use the mechanical brakes, hmm, like a ICE car 🤣