Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Range query....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies I’ve just looked through 15 pages and couldn’t find a thread so here goes.....

Model 3 2021 LR, I charged to 96% on Friday only managed 201 miles on Saturday 14 degrees and had it cruise control at 70 for 95% of the journey. I wasn’t expecting 360 mile range but surely close to 300 is achievable??

269 wh/mi for the full trip.

Apologies I’ve just looked through 15 pages and couldn’t find a thread so here goes.....

Model 3 2021 LR, I charged to 96% on Friday only managed 201 miles on Saturday 14 degrees and had it cruise control at 70 for 95% of the journey. I wasn’t expecting 360 mile range but surely close to 300 is achievable??

Read discussions of range vs speed, then try the same trip at 60mph.

Reactions: Acko1985

After the 201 miles, what was the battery percentage showing as?

Blimey. You guys seem to think this is fine and i'm stunned. I also am not expecting the whole 370 out of mine but 200 is just brutal! I've got a few trips coming up this year and that completely changes things for my route plans if that is the case.
200 sounds about right based on my experience of my M3P when driven on motorway. It’s not what I was expecting, but seems to be about right for real world driving (air conditioning on, driving at 70-80mph etc)

Reactions: Big Earl

You started at 96% but what %were you at at 200 miles? Assume it was not zero?

I think it was around 7%
Ok so the battery may be 75kw but it is not 75kw usable it has a buffer. No one knows exactly what it is but let's assume 3kw. Someone will no doubte tell be that's wrong but will do for now. So 72 usable. You started at 96% and finished at 7%. So only used 89% of the usable. Which is 64 kw. You used 269wh/m so in theory should have travelled 238 miles on that. 360 is like the mpg in an ICE at constant 56 not doable its there for comparison. I have seen 240 wh/m on a motorway journey in much warmer weather. So charging to 100% would have been 280 miles to 7% or 300 to zero so its doable but not the norm in the UK weather

You need 20 to 25c to be able to maximise the range in an EV. This time of year with temps near zero expect a loss of about a third. North of Scotland driving conservatively with winter tyres on I've been averaging 330wh/mi. In the summer 240 is average, but into the 180s when the temps get into the high teens/ low 20s c. That equates to a range 190 ish in the winter and 290 in the summer. (At 65ish mph) I switched the miles range to percentage about a week after delivery and use ABRP for any longer runs its free and accurate provided you put in accurate settings.
I had a friend in Yorkshire, last week, say that he'd driven 20 mes stuck behind a truck and was amazed that he'd had 140wh/mi. But the temp was in the 20s.

Ok so the battery may be 75kw but it is not 75kw usable it has a buffer. No one knows exactly what it is but let's assume 3kw. Someone will no doubte tell be that's wrong but will do for now. So 72 usable. You started at 96% and finished at 7%. So only used 89% of the usable. Which is 64 kw. You used 269wh/m so in theory should have travelled 238 miles on that. 360 is like the mpg in an ICE at constant 56 not doable its there for comparison. I have seen 240 wh/m on a motorway journey in much warmer weather. So charging to 100% would have been 280 miles to 7% or 300 to zero so its doable but not the norm in the UK weather
The MiC LR batteries are apparently LG Chem 77 kWh with 75 kWh usable.

201 miles seems low to me for that consumption figure. Was that the average consumption for the entire trip, or only the last 30 miles? Could you have been driving into a headwind to begin with? Those can be brutal on range.

Reactions: exlatccatsa