Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Range query....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was that in one continuous drive? In theory that should be the total of your actual driving consumption. That will not include other uses that sap power when actually not driving along. It does seem a large discrepancy.
No, multiple drives. I let the kids play on the games yesterday for 1/2 an hour or so, but it does seem to be a large difference. It's been very cold recently so I'd be expecting not to get a lot of range, but thought that the trip would still show the actual usage.

Will just have to keep an eye on it!

No, multiple drives. I let the kids play on the games yesterday for 1/2 an hour or so, but it does seem to be a large difference. It's been very cold recently so I'd be expecting not to get a lot of range, but thought that the trip would still show the actual usage.

Yes, Tesla efficiency is pretty good when driving along but it doesn't exactly sip power when doing other things! I've had occasion to need to spend time in the car for an hour or two and the percentage continues to go down with HVAC running and Youtube on the screen ... add that to some overnight losses and/or "disturbed sleep" due to ... we know not what .. :eek:

I have a regular round trip run and I’m comfortably getting 240 miles of range for mostly motorway driving in my MIC M3 LR. This is with battery preheating and 70-80 MPH speeds and about 10-13 deg C temp.

So 200 miles of range seems low, but with some margin of error with the numbers and a lack of preheating etc, I could see range as low as this being plausible.

Id be disappointed if this 200 was a real world range of my M3 LR though .

Last edited:
200 is low. As someone pointed out, your trip stats don‘t make sense. 269 wh/mi should get you over 250 miles in a long range. Was this an uninterrupted trip? (Did you park somewhere for a long time then finish your trip later?). If not then you may have some reduced battery capacity that needs to be looked into. The only time I experienced this was in subzero temps.

Last edited:
Blimey. You guys seem to think this is fine and i'm stunned. I also am not expecting the whole 370 out of mine but 200 is just brutal! I've got a few trips coming up this year and that completely changes things for my route plans if that is the case.
plug your trip into your trip nav beforehand and see what it recommends. It won’t steer you into a path that’s a risk of running out. Abetterrouteplanner.com is even more sophisticated, but takes some getting to know the software.

I don’t think it’s fine, and if his wh/mi is really 269 in a single continuous trip then he only has 54 kWh of available battery. If he can replicate that on a warm weather day, he has a case for warranty work.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
1618149732377.png

The above taken from TeslaFi, may help some understand range versus temperature over 1 year 12k miles, winter tyres fitted in November till Well at this rate its looking like May. North Eastern Scotland mainly runs of 14 miles over the past 6 months and not really driven hard.

Hi,

I am also intrigued about the consistency between reported Wh consumption and its impact on battery %.

Please see my MIC LR screenshot - last charged at 80% and car reports 57.1 miles @ 232 Wh/Mile with 13kWh consumed.

If that's accurate, then shouldn't my car have dropped from 80% to approximately 62% or so? Just wondering why I would have lost a further 8%.

I'm sure there is a logical explanation but the figures don't quite add up.

Thanks

IMG_0667.jpeg

I never bother with miles now. Yes I have a certain mileage to go, but If my journey is going to be anywhere near the range of the battery I'll use ABRP to plan the journey and the green graph to adjust my speed to arrive at the percentage of battery I want.

Below is where you have lost battery capacity. This is data recorded yesterday for 8 trips, including parking, etc. from Tesla screen and TeslaFi. Also you need to remember that there will be some losses in the battery (internal resistance losses) so 1 kW/hr used will need to be supplied by more than 1 kW/hr of battery capacity.

Tesla data
TeslaFi data
Starting SoC %
90%​
89%​
End SoC %
23%​
23%​
Used SoC %
67%​
66%​
Miles traveled (over 38 trips in one day)
115​
114.97​
kWhr used
28​
31.46​
kW/hr % for a battery of 47.5 kW/hr (for a SR+ battery)
58.9%​
66.2%​
wh/mile
241​
274​
Calculated wh/mile (from kW/hr used divided by miles driven)
243​
274​
Calculated range based on % SoC used
171.6​
174.2​
Parked kW/h
not recorded​
Sentry kWh
not recorded​
Phantom drain kW/h
not recorded​
Total kW/h used (less losses of 2.4 kW/hr)
28.0​
29.1​

Kids

Kids putting the heated seats on while playing games is a battery eater. Almost as expensive as the bald spots they make on the tyres scrubbing the left and right while stationary