Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Range query....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learnt my EV driving on a Mk1 Leaf (80 miles range on a good day). Amongst the habits I picked up:
  • Never pass up the opportunity for a charge
  • Charge little and often because the last 20% takes forever
  • Cruise control can't see the environment and rigidly squanders energy when the driver would ease down the speed uphill and back off downhill
  • If you're fighting a headwind, get behind a lorry or a coach
  • You don't have to pass every BMW just because you can

Always recharge at circa 20%. Entirely removes range anxiety. Usually charge frequently but for a short time. On motorways on long journeys tend to stop at about 2 hours to stretch legs and top up.
Having said that my other EV the Kia Soul. easy does 200 between *0% and 20%. I reckon its real range is better than my LR!

I learnt my EV driving on a Mk1 Leaf (80 miles range on a good day). Amongst the habits I picked up:
  • Never pass up the opportunity for a charge
  • Charge little and often because the last 20% takes forever
  • Cruise control can't see the environment and rigidly squanders energy when the driver would ease down the speed uphill and back off downhill
  • If you're fighting a headwind, get behind a lorry or a coach
  • You don't have to pass every BMW just because you can
Good point here about cruise control. Some sections of motorway on a long downhill it holds you at 70 and is using regen to do so. Much more efficient to switch it off and try and hold your foot in about the neutral position, let the car speed up naturally to 75 or whatever, then reengage when you go up again. Wish there was an autopilot mode for this! Or follow a lorry as they will do that anyway and your car will match their speed!

Reactions: Big Earl
It's worth knowing about the actual test. Tesla like all manufacturers are required to advertise range using the WLTP test figures, so it's not a claim, simply the result of what is supposed to be a 'reasonable' test.

The test is performed at 23c, and takes 30mins.
14.4 total miles driven
average speed 29mph, maximum 81mph
52% urban, 48% non-urban

The point being, it's not much like driving at 70mph down a motorway, so not very surprising it doesn't match.

I've personally done a decent motorway run last summer at about 25c, got 250wh/mile which would be 300miles range. My car was rated at 324miles WLTP when new, has degraded to about 300 after 15k miles.

Ok so the battery may be 75kw but it is not 75kw usable it has a buffer. No one knows exactly what it is but let's assume 3kw. Someone will no doubte tell be that's wrong but will do for now. So 72 usable. You started at 96% and finished at 7%. So only used 89% of the usable. Which is 64 kw. You used 269wh/m so in theory should have travelled 238 miles on that. 360 is like the mpg in an ICE at constant 56 not doable its there for comparison. I have seen 240 wh/m on a motorway journey in much warmer weather. So charging to 100% would have been 280 miles to 7% or 300 to zero so its doable but not the norm in the UK weather
Brilliant way of looking at it

Reactions: Llama.
All these discussions about head wind etc are interesting, but the fact remains that OP went from 96% to 7%, apparently at 269 Wh/mile and covered 200 miles. 200 x 269 = 53.8 kWh. That is a lot less than 75kWh - so something is missing. Either the battery is way down on its capacity or there’s been some energy lost not accounted for in the 269 figure.
Or does taking the Aeros off make that much of a difference? I plan to do the same journey next month, hopefully it will be warmer with no winds and I’ll get a better result

Apologies I’ve just looked through 15 pages and couldn’t find a thread so here goes.....

Model 3 2021 LR, I charged to 96% on Friday only managed 201 miles on Saturday 14 degrees and had it cruise control at 70 for 95% of the journey. I wasn’t expecting 360 mile range but surely close to 300 is achievable??

269 wh/mi for the full trip.
I am sure you will get 300 in the summer if you drive at legal speed. My 2019 model gets two thirds of the summer mileage in winter. Yours should be somewhat better, with the heat pump.

I am sure you will get 300 in the summer if you drive at legal speed. My 2019 model gets two thirds of the summer mileage in winter. Yours should be somewhat better, with the heat pump.
Yep, stick to the speed limit and don't accelerate hard every time you overtake someone or come off a junction. I've always had a light foot as I was really into hypermiling when I had a fossil car - but sometimes when I'm in a car with other people I'm surprised at how hard people accelerate day to day. There's really nothing to be gained from it, average speed has much more effect on journey time over a long distance, so if you anticipate what's going on ahead and move lanes far in advance of an obstruction, you can maintain your speed better without having to slow down and speed up all the time like the zig-zag overtakers do.

A big factor is wind. Been a lot of it the last few days in the UK. A 15-20mph headwind can have a massive effect on your range. Couple of times on my regular Cardiff-Newcastle drive a strong Northerly wind has meant my range wasn't as the trip computer predicted and used a lot more juice than it thought. Similarly, a tailwind like that will make you go quite a bit further. But you need to realise the 300+ mile range is in perfect conditions with mixed speed driving, not cold wet windy 70mph.
As you were writing this (wednesday) I was driving my mums Citroen c3 1.4hdi 30 miles South for its MOT with a 40 odd knot tailwind. (yes in Shetland you have to drive quite a distance for an MOT) Driving at 50-60mph for most of the way, I started off with 137 miles to empty and ended up with 155 miles till empty, perhaps I should have had the tailgate open?
Yesterday I drove the 50 miles to Montrose to pick up the new shape frunk bags at a fairly steady 65 mph.
54.52 Miles Driven

70.55 Rated Miles Used

ODO 12,458.77 - 12,513.29
16.4 kWh

301 Wh/Mile

77.3% Efficiency
Cost

£ 0.00
Avg
53 MPH

Max
75 MPH
Outside
3.8 C

Inside
19.9 C

Fan Avg

And back again
50.8 Miles Driven

58.12 Rated Miles Used

ODO 12,514.97 - 12,565.77
13.51 kWh

266 Wh/Mile

87.4% Efficiency
Cost

£ 0.00
Avg
51 MPH

Max
77 MPH
Outside
9.8 C

Inside
19.5 C

6 degrees difference and a slight tailwind component on the way back and despite ending up 270 feet higher, its more efficient. Wind and temperature make a lot of difference.. its just we didn't notice it so much on an ICE car.

Reactions: Llama. and Big Earl
  • Never pass up the opportunity for a charge Good advice
  • Charge little and often because the last 20% takes forever Agreed
  • Cruise control can't see the environment and rigidly squanders energy when the driver would ease down the speed uphill and back off downhill Helpful
  • If you're fighting a headwind, get behind a lorry or a coach Makes sense
  • You don't have to pass every BMW just because you can Sorted!

• Funny
Reactions: 15Peter20
240 is a reasonable amount for a full charge on the LR for motorway driving and is what I get for real world driving in general non motorway for short or long journeys. This will probably increase a bit more in the summer but in general 240-270 is what I expect.

I'd be happy with 240 miles range. I was factoring in getting 200 with my driving style.... 🤣

It's funny how some move from an ICE car where they get maybe 60-70% of the claimed MPG, into an EV and then complain they don't achieve 98% of the claimed range... The tests are all artificial and are just a method of comparison, they are never realistic to real world driving. :rolleyes:

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious here, but the trip (when you swipe to the right on the bottom right of the screen) is currently showing I've used 28kwh since I last charged (charged to 100% btw). The battery is currently showing 47% on it which would mean that the overall capacity is around 52 kwh. I've got a new LR M3 so would have expected this capacity to be around the 70kwh mark.

Am I missing something?

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious here, but the trip (when you swipe to the right on the bottom right of the screen) is currently showing I've used 28kwh since I last charged (charged to 100% btw). The battery is currently showing 47% on it which would mean that the overall capacity is around 52 kwh. I've got a new LR M3 so would have expected this capacity to be around the 70kwh mark.

Am I missing something?
Preheating? Sentry mode?

Am I missing something?
~18kWh? 😆

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB

Am I missing something?

Was that in one continuous drive? In theory that should be the total of your actual driving consumption. That will not include other uses that sap power when actually not driving along. It does seem a large discrepancy.