Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another reason to hope for a 400 mile range: SC v3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the real world I can only depend on about 2/3 of the EPA rated range since I’m often rolling over hills into a headwind, carrying two bikes on a hitch rack at 78mph, or packing down a bit of snow a few degrees below freezing. So I’ve long hoped for an EPA rated range of 400miles cause then I never have to worry about going 250miles and thus removing the need to Supercharge unless on a rare long distance trip.

Now with Supercharger v3 staying above 150kw to 50%, or 100kw to 2/3 on the Model 3, a 400 mile rated range max would mean we would get a really useful amount of additional range (enough for a Supercharger or two away) at the very high rate, in a very short time (<20min) for those big road trips.

First look at Tesla’s new V3 Supercharger in action

Our Model 3 was already making our early Model S look really dated. Here’s hoping when Tesla finally revs the S they hit that higher 400 mile range with the 3’s better battery and motor tech (or something even better).

On a separate note, I think the disparity between their low ~250 mile rated and carefree real world range and a lack of charging infrastructure is going to make for a lot of disappointed iPace and eTron owners and probably limit their sales. Too bad as they are otherwise nice vehicles and I support the goal to electrify everything which Tesla can’t do alone.

Last edited:
Still waiting for charging of 280 of real miles in 15 minutes charging. Supercharging v3 can do it but the pack needs to be 2 to 3 times as large compared to the model 3 right now in capacity to sustain the 250kw charging rate. From the videos, it looks like quick tapering down the 150kw.
So you're saying that Tesla over-promised and will under-deliver? I'm shocked! That has never happened in the history of Tesla!

... From the videos, it looks like quick tapering down the 150kw.
Looks like not until 50%
53110882_10156806414820767_4263604439782260736_o.jpg

Folks, it just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Best way to get your range back when going with 2 bikes on the top and 78 mph, reduce your speed. Brining it down to the speed limit will help a LOT. And you know that you're going to get better in the summer.

This while thing with high-current, short time charging is just marketing. You could get 400 mile range with maybe 200 mile in 30 minute charging today, IF you wanted to add an extra $20,000 to the price of the car and give up some room.

Looking at the Supercharger 3 announcement, I think that I can see exactly where they are going. They are probably for California only, at least for awhile, AND they are going to have 30 minute max charging times with an idle time probably at least twice what it is now. That's the only way that you can get away with installing a fewer number of pedestals in high traffic locations.

As to the other high current charging solutions....
It's relatively east to build high current chargers (although cabling is a problem)
It's relatively easy to build batteries that can accept high current charging.

BUT, it is near impossible to create a solution that can charge at high current and be economical when doing it. A great example is the Tesla commercial grid solutions, they can charge and discharge very fast, but they can empty your pocket books even faster.

In the real world I can only depend on about 2/3 of the EPA rated range since I’m often rolling over hills into a headwind, carrying two bikes on a hitch rack at 78mph, or packing down a bit of snow a few degrees below freezing. So I’ve long hoped for an EPA rated range of 400miles cause then I never have to worry about going 250miles and thus removing the need to Supercharge unless on a rare long distance trip.

Now with Supercharger v3 staying above 150kw to 50%, or 100kw to 2/3 on the Model 3, a 400 mile rated range max would mean we would get a really useful amount of additional range (enough for a Supercharger or two away) at the very high rate, in a very short time (<20min) for those big road trips.

How many times per year do you do this and would it be worth an extra $20,000 to you.

How many times per year do you do this and would it be worth an extra $20,000 to you.

Road trip twice a year, burn down the battery with bikes, snow, speed etc once a month.
Given that the 100D is rated for 335 miles now, a 120kwh battery should get us to 400ish.
That should be covered in the current price of the MS given incremental battery improvements since the 100d came out that Elon and JB have discussed.
If not get a second Model 3.