Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

another regen/brake light discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Norway it is not permitted for the Roadster as well. The reason is that when the car was first approved for roads in EU the law stated that the brake light was to turn on when the brake pedal was physically pushed. This law has been changed in recent years, but does not apply to older cars.
So Tesla will not turn this back on for me.

And similar, I don't know if this is for all EU roadsters, or if it's country specific, but I am unable to turn off the driving lights. And I think this is to comply with the old laws that said that the lights had to turn on automatically when the car was started. This suits me just fine, but not when I am stationary while jdemo charging.

When I turn the switch off the car thinks the lights are off, but they are still on, does someone know how this is done?
I would like to turn them off when stationary.

You could always bypass in the control panel - introduce a secondary switch to turn power for the headlights, would be easy to interface with the main power cable to the headlights and introduce a relay to switch power off whilst using JdeMo charging - though for me (and not yet fitted the JdeMo) I prefer my lights on all the time - makes sure I'm seen!

As for the brakes coming on for regen, if you could sniff the CAN bus and see when the car is in regen, then you could use the code to switch on the brake lights; I'm pretty certain some folks have decoded some of the CAN Bus for OVMS functionality.

Normally (in the US, at least), the car turns on the 3rd brake light when either the brake is pushed (regardless of other conditions), or regen is causing a significant deceleration to take place. Not all regen is sufficiently strong for that, so a simple algorithm of "if regen turn on light" will cause the light to be on way too much. There are probably other factors included too.
But, given that any press of the brake pedal causes the light to come on, why would that not comply with the regulations?

Normally (in the US, at least), the car turns on the 3rd brake light when either the brake is pushed (regardless of other conditions), or regen is causing a significant deceleration to take place. Not all regen is sufficiently strong for that, so a simple algorithm of "if regen turn on light" will cause the light to be on way too much. There are probably other factors included too.
But, given that any press of the brake pedal causes the light to come on, why would that not comply with the regulations?[/QUOT

The point is the regulations are outdated.

Regen brake light is now mandatory (for the S and X).

Driving without it is unsafe in dense European traffic.

Using the pedal with the right foot does not work: you slow down even more.

Using the left foot: that does not work for me. Left foot is mentally reserved for clutch control only.

See your point re algorythm and only regen brake light at strong decellaration.

That is why I will try to reset the car to US modus.

I got the Obd2 cable, now I need a Windows laptop. Does anyone still use those?

Tbc

iirc the Roadster software used by service centres is capable of re-setting the default of brake lights on for BOTH regen AND braking. But this needs
a) the software &
b) a roadster technician with the knowledge to do this.

In the UK that would be Sam, Neil or Simon ..