Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, we didn't accept delivery. We said we wanted the issues fixed, and then we would have the option of accepting if they did a good enough job. We were pretty blunt about it. The delivery guy was diplomatic, but had never seen the car until we showed up. Here are a few pics.
Driver_Door_Trim.jpg
Fender_Meets_Bumper_at_Headlight.jpg
Hood_Meets_Fender.jpg
Rear_Wheel.jpg
Taillight.jpg
Window_Trim.jpg

Reactions: raggedy
Actually, we didn't accept delivery. We said we wanted the issues fixed, and then we would have the option of accepting if they did a good enough job. We were pretty blunt about it. The delivery guy was diplomatic, but had never seen the car until we showed up. Here are a few pics.View attachment 570591 View attachment 570592 View attachment 570593 View attachment 570594 View attachment 570595 View attachment 570596
Good job for not accepting. If more people actually does this, then tesla will have to actually make improvements to the manufacturing process. If you were like all those fanbois here, then tesla's quality will only go down because they will be laughing to the bank saying we can keep lower manufacturing quality and these sheeps are still buying it for exorbitant prices.

I'm a huge believer in the future of Tesla and EV technology.

But this kind of quality is not going to persuade a skeptical world of ICE-lovers.

Here are a few ways I look at this:
1. The Model Y is not a cheap car.
2. There was no need to rush it into production in the spring when the company had already said it would arrive later.
3. I've wandered around parking lots and seen far better workmanship on cheaper cars.
4. Elon Musk is now the 5th richest man in the world, with an estimated worth of $74 B. And he can't afford to hire some quality control people at the factory?

Last year I was anxious to get out of my Chevy Volt and into the Model 3 and accepted 30% of the car surface to be repainted at an approved Tesla 3rd party body shop. Now that I am sitting comfortably in my M3 I will reject any notion or suggestion of post delivery repaints or body work. Not going to happen.

Reactions: Reeler
I'm a huge believer in the future of Tesla and EV technology.

But this kind of quality is not going to persuade a skeptical world of ICE-lovers.

Here are a few ways I look at this:
1. The Model Y is not a cheap car.
2. There was no need to rush it into production in the spring when the company had already said it would arrive later.
3. I've wandered around parking lots and seen far better workmanship on cheaper cars.
4. Elon Musk is now the 5th richest man in the world, with an estimated worth of $74 B. And he can't afford to hire some quality control people at the factory?
It is not he can't afford QC people, he doesn't want. It is extra cost not need because apparently a bunch of fanbois here in this thread are buying up those defective cars.

It is not he can't afford QC people, he doesn't want. It is extra cost not need because apparently a bunch of fanbois here in this thread are buying up those defective cars.
It’s a weakness competitors could exploit.

Can Tesla afford it? With the huge capital expenses of building out a car company from scratch, I could see that they’re more cash or time constrained than other manufacturers.

There are some benefits to not waiting on QA and passing the initial burden onto the consumer, allowing Tesla to focus on other things. But they don’t have the post-delivery service infrastructure to support that model, and some of the issues are more negligence due to corporate greed than anything.

I don’t expect Tesla to care about the consumer unless it helps their bottom line to do so. Why add costs and slow production, thereby limiting chance of quarterly profits, if it won’t impact sales? We need the legacy manufacturers or the new EV brands to fully join the market.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Great paint and tight body panel = great quality, amazing car
Not so great paint and less than perfect body panel alignments = shoddy quality, defective cars, crappy build, piece of junk, would never buy in a million years

Quality of a car = what can be visually seen, like a painting or an art piece.

What goes inside the car, has very little to zero weight age and doesn't factor into the measure of what constitutes quality. So much so, some folks might even consider a shell of car with absolutely nothing under the hood, but with great paint and panels and upholstery, better "quality" than a Tesla with paint chip on the bumper.

Of course that means I am a Tesla lemming and a fanboi.

----------------------------------------------
Tesla has a lot of work to do to catch up to dinosaur legacy auto who has perfected this aspect of car manufacturing by working on it for over 100 years, but it tickles me to no end, on what constitutes the ultimate definition of quality of a car for some people.

“China rocks in my opinion. The energy in China is great. People there – there’s like a lot of smart, hard working people. And they’re really -- they’re not entitled, they’re not complacent, whereas I see in the United States increasingly much more complacency and entitlement especially in places like the Bay Area, and L.A. and New York.” - Elon Musk / CNBC Link
I wonder how those entitled and dumb Tesla workers in the US feel about Elon's comments.
I don't think crapping on them is going to help the quality coming out Fremont.

I wonder how those hard working minions in China feel about Elon's comments.
I don't think he wants them taking that "Red Pill". They're much more productive in the Matrix.

Last edited:
“China rocks in my opinion. The energy in China is great. People there – there’s like a lot of smart, hard working people. And they’re really -- they’re not entitled, they’re not complacent, whereas I see in the United States increasingly much more complacency and entitlement especially in places like the Bay Area, and L.A. and New York.” - Elon Musk / CNBC Link
I wonder how those entitled and dumb Tesla workers in the US feel about Elon's comments.
I don't think crapping on them is going to help the quality coming out Fremont.

I wonder how those hard working minions in China feel about Elon's comments.
I don't think he wants them taking that "Red Pill". They're much more productive in the Matrix.

I take a Tesla made in any country as long as it's put together and painted right.

Reactions: Bikeman
Good job for not accepting. If more people actually does this, then tesla will have to actually make improvements to the manufacturing process. If you were like all those fanbois here, then tesla's quality will only go down because they will be laughing to the bank saying we can keep lower manufacturing quality and these sheeps are still buying it for exorbitant prices.
I'm guessing you never owed one ever right given its piss poor build? I would think so to make your argument stronger...

What was Musk referring to when he said we are "entitled and complacent?" We aren't being complacent when it comes to less-than-stellar build quality and low quality paint jobs, and I do feel ENTITLED to a well assembled car with great paint if I'm forking over my hard earned dollars because every other car manufacturer selling in the US does provide those two things.

Yes yes yes, no other legacy car maker can touch Tesla as far as EV software and hardware goes, and that's why I have my order in for a MY. I'm buying the software and battery tech, but I don't want to compromise on the other important aspects to me when I buy a car (the aforementioned build quality and paint).

Musk is brilliant and we are fortunate he's turned the car making world on its ear, but he sure says some stupid things....

What was Musk referring to when he said we are "entitled and complacent?" We aren't being complacent when it comes to less-than-stellar build quality and low quality paint jobs, and I do feel ENTITLED to a well assembled car with great paint if I'm forking over my hard earned dollars because every other car manufacturer selling in the US does provide those two things.

Yes yes yes, no other legacy car maker can touch Tesla as far as EV software and hardware goes, and that's why I have my order in for a MY. I'm buying the software and battery tech, but I don't want to compromise on the other important aspects to me when I buy a car (the aforementioned build quality and paint).

Musk is brilliant and we are fortunate he's turned the car making world on its ear, but he sure says some stupid things....
Imo he was talking about production and supply side challenges that don’t exist in China. Things like dealer associations and Big Auto preventing Tesla from selling in certain states. Tesla is disrupting many industries, and the legacy players in these industries have politicized things. Far more here imo, despite Tesla being an American company.

That said, in that particular example, Tesla leveraging the single national dealer model into poor customer service hasn’t exactly proven wrong the arguments made by the dealers.

Reactions: raggedy and Kevin66
Typical tech mindset.
Do most of the job and ship it.

Typical tech consumer mindset.
Most of the car is out of this world so I'll accept the half arse panel fit.

I took delivery of one of the initial build MS with less than perfect build quality specifically for the build quality of the skateboard. The four that have followed have been progressively better built cars. Tesla seems to make this mistake over and over again thus I am reasonably confident they will get it sorted and their customers, as they have in the past, will give them an initial pass.

excellent question...would be a great new thread
There are plenty of people who’ve received “perfect” MY’s, myself included. A few minor issues? Sure, but close enough for me. And a new thread would just continue to beat a dead horse with the usual players chiming in. I see a lot more of this here than Reddit where most people are very excited about getting their vehicles- much more jaded bunch here.. ;)

Last edited: