Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Roof Tinting Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this topic has probably been discussed to death - just one more question...

I know the roof tint can be up to personal preference (film cut mid roof at the factory tint line or full 1 piece tint, which further darkens the roof tint).

For those getting the 1 piece tint on the roof to also cover the factory tint - are you also tinting the roof area above the driver/passenger seat? That way, there aren't 2 different tint levels on the roof, which seems like it would be visible when sitting in the car?

Thanks.

FWIW, I went with 70% on the whole rear glass. Part of me wishes I went with 50% but I was worried about making the rear top too dark. Got it back yesterday. I can report that from the interior, there is no apparent difference between the top glass section and the rear glass with 70%.

FWIW, I went with 70% on the whole rear glass. Part of me wishes I went with 50% but I was worried about making the rear top too dark. Got it back yesterday. I can report that from the interior, there is no apparent difference between the top glass section and the rear glass with 70%.

Do you have any pictures? So you did a full 1 piece sheet rear glass 70%? Nothing on the front overhead glass?

Do you have any pictures? So you did a full 1 piece sheet rear glass 70%? Nothing on the front overhead glass?
Correct, the whole rear glass, one sheet, 70% ceramic (did 40% ceramic on the side windows). Nothing on the glass over the driver. I can always decide to do that later if I am seeing a big heat difference. I will get some pics up, just got it back last night.

These are not the best, just quick shots from my phone. Driver's glass on the right and rear glass with added 70% ceramic on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_20180707_112446.jpg
    IMG_20180707_112446.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_20180707_112438.jpg
    IMG_20180707_112438.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 446
I hope this comes out cuz I've never logged on via mobile before, but here's a photo of my windows. Front side is 75%, windshield has nothing, and the roof is 35% on top of the factory tint.

IMO, it does ruin the glass roof effect. You can almost stare at the sun and make it out. Probably with polarized sunglasses on, you might be able to view an eclipse.

That said, despite the current 105 heat, I'm quite comfortable and the heat is clearly coming in from the windshield.

Attachments

• E70E83A1-6FAD-4FAF-94D2-F2D8A97C78ED.jpeg
    E70E83A1-6FAD-4FAF-94D2-F2D8A97C78ED.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 457
Reactions: Dana1
That looks really nice. Dark but you can still see through the glass roof. Nicely done. I'm guessing you don't notice with the side windows tinted darker than the back glass?
I went 40% ceramic on the sides and 70% ceramic on the back glass. From the outside, you can definitely tell that the lowest part of the rear glass (the previously untinted part) is much lighter than the sides but of course it's lightly tinted and you still see the transition area so it looks completely normal. Again, part of me wishes that rear-most portion was a bit darker but the benefit of the trade-off for the 70% is that from the inside, I see virtually no difference between the glass roof above the front seat and the rear glass and I don't notice any loss of light through the rear glass. Next for me will be to test whether the rear glass (with ceramic film) stays noticeably cooler than the glass above the driver (with no film).

50BF128F-025D-4E1B-B38D-99A7524922E3.jpeg F6048E88-B386-40A5-9892-40BC8918EB79.jpeg E6055BA4-6694-469B-9383-0688A7333989.jpeg

i personally never wanted a panoramic roof so heat rejection was the main reason for tinting the entire roof along with piece of glass above front seats. i opted for photosync 35 which in my opinion is perfect...to each their own. had my tint installed at Adonis detail in Vista, CA

Reactions: MissyMcBee
View attachment 317084 View attachment 317085 View attachment 317086

i personally never wanted a panoramic roof so heat rejection was the main reason for tinting the entire roof along with piece of glass above front seats. i opted for photosync 35 which in my opinion is perfect...to each their own. had my tint installed at Adonis detail in Vista, CA

Can you take pictures of the inside showing the panoramic roof of the already tinted area? I want to see how dark it is with the 35%

I did not tint the roof above the driver but did tint the rear 75% wish I had gone darker. I don't notice heat from the roof above the driver. I do notice some heat from the rear window when sitting in the back seat. I wish they had tinted the entire rear window at the factory.

I bought the sunshade for the roof but never installed it. After seeing how little heat comes through the roof glass I don't think it is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue in NC
that is 35% tint on the back window in one piece? yeah doesn't look too dark to me at all

yup...back part of passenger panoramic roof and rear window is a single piece of tint. i’ve seen pics of it tinted in 2 pieces and can definitely see the seam. would not recommend it as it would bug the crap outta me. keep in mind photosync tint is on the lighter side so when you tint be sure to keep that in mind. all pieces of glass on my car were tinted which makes it appear darker

yup...back part of passenger panoramic roof and rear window is a single piece of tint. i’ve seen pics of it tinted in 2 pieces and can definitely see the seam. would not recommend it as it would bug the crap outta me. keep in mind photosync tint is on the lighter side so when you tint be sure to keep that in mind. all pieces of glass on my car were tinted which makes it appear darker

Hello, yeah I'm a tint newbie. but are you saying that 35% tint from the inside will appear darker using 3m Colorstable versus photosync ?