Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another round of Tesla price bumps [Nov 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ELON: If the sheep are willing to pay inflated prices, keep raising it! Currently, I have a Model 3 and was going to upgrade. No lie...when I tried to hit submit on the order, the pricing had gone up so I said forget it...keeping the Model 3. Some other sheep can pay a grand more, ha. And they will too....

Playing with my emotions, smokie! They could easily tweet out 24 hours in advance of a price increase...Tesla buyers are loyal, but they'd rather screw their customers out their extra hard-earned cash.

Last edited:
If you've already placed your order and are waiting, then these price increases don't affect you.

Haven't placed an order and not in line? Well, you snooze you lose. That was your choice not to put $100/$250 down to place a reservation and lock in your price.
Exactly, supply and demand it's that simple. Guess what, all those waiting for the new factory to get up and running and maybe get new batteries, waiting for redesign, etc... - chances are the longer you wait the more it will cost so get your order in already! As I've said before, there will ALWAYS be something new/better on the horizon. If you're not willing to take the plunge you get what you get, take the hit and move on, nobody's sorry for you...

Reactions: mark95476
If we are book at current price, and if the prices happen to go down once the supply chain issues get better and before the delivery of your vehicle, does any one know if Tesla would let you use the new lower price? Or would it be like we let go of the 250$ order fees and make a new reservation and start at the end of the queue again?

ELON: If the sheep are willing to pay inflated prices, keep raising it! Currently, I have a Model 3 and was going to upgrade. No lie...when I tried to hit submit on the order, the pricing had gone up so I said forget it...keeping the Model 3. Some other sheep can pay a grand more, ha. And they will too....

Playing with my emotions, smokie! They could easily tweet out 24 hours in advance of a price increase...Tesla buyers are loyal, but they'd rather screw their customers out their extra hard-earned cash.
Lol. Yes Elon should call you any time he is considering a change. I am sure he will have a hard time sleeping this weekend knowing he played with your emotions…..

If we are book at current price, and if the prices happen to go down once the supply chain issues get better and before the delivery of your vehicle, does any one know if Tesla would let you use the new lower price? Or would it be like we let go of the 250$ order fees and make a new reservation and start at the end of the queue again?
The price is the price. It’s what you agree to when you order and submit the order fee. But if you edit your or order your price will reflect the current changes up or down and also effect delivery time. So yes, the price could go down, but they not going back down. They too popular and it’ll still cost more and more to make more and more.

If you've already placed your order and are waiting, then these price increases don't affect you.

Haven't placed an order and not in line? Well, you snooze you lose. That was your choice not to put $100/$250 down to place a reservation and lock in your price.

Attachments

• 1636211926421.png
    1636211926421.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
I was seriously considering ordering a MY about 3 months ago. Even at about $55k it was going to be a stretch. Then I decided to wait because of the infrastructure Bill. Now Tesla has raised the price about $3k. I'm kind of over it. When/if the Bill passes all of your cars are going to be worth less money by 8-10k. This neurotic market isn't going to last forever and it's going to come crashing down. This isn't sustainable.

Based on my experience, you'll get the lower price if it goes down, but you won't pay more if it goes up. I ordered on 1/30, and there was a price decrease at some point in Feb and they reduced my price even though all the financing paperwork was complete. Picked up in March.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
While all the "Stealerships" have been tacking on what used to be thousands over MSRP for hot vehicles, now is tens of thousands.
We're thinking of upgrading my wife's '17 Volt with another PHEV (because we go places like Death Valley and Great Basin NP where chargers are scarcer than hen's teeth) and I stopped in our local Ford dealer to ask the internet sales mgr about inventory. He said the Escape PHEVs are really scarce and are at this point only pre-sold units. It's a good thing we don't have to upgrade at this time.

I asked him about the "markups" and he said some dealers (not theirs) do this in hopes of actually getting that additional profit once in a while and agreed that it was an unethical practice. Then he said something that sf tetruck me as very interesting. He said that all of the new EVs Ford is putting out have 0 markup from inventory and are selling them at MSRP. Ford and others are learning from what Tesla is doing with its sales.

I have a MYP ordered, and I had them put the order on hold because I didn’t want delivery until after January 1st. Am I protected from any price increase that occurs between the time I put my order on hold and when I release the hold?

I have a MYP ordered, and I had them put the order on hold because I didn’t want delivery until after January 1st. Am I protected from any price increase that occurs between the time I put my order on hold and when I release the hold?
Yes, as long as you don't change anything about your order configuration. I have my order for MYLR at $50,990 base price from April still at the same price. Just resumed it to accept delivery in early 2022 so hopefully I can get the tax credits on top of the "lower" price. I don't envy those who are buying at current prices as they seem ridiculous and the cars aren't worth it at current full price IMHO.

Reactions: Okcharge72
Most all cars are going up in price. Tesla is no exception.

For OP, the good news is that even if you need to pay more for your new car, your old car will also bring much more for resale.

Inflation is a real thing. Government is spending like crazy. Dollar dropping in value.

I was seriously considering ordering a MY about 3 months ago. Even at about $55k it was going to be a stretch. Then I decided to wait because of the infrastructure Bill. Now Tesla has raised the price about $3k. I'm kind of over it. When/if the Bill passes all of your cars are going to be worth less money by 8-10k. This neurotic market isn't going to last forever and it's going to come crashing down. This isn't sustainable.
Whatever makes you feel better about missing out. You could have ordered and put a hold on the order pretty much indefinitely. If it never went your way and no bill passes you could have always canceled and only been out the $100 (order fee at the time). Instead of only costing a hundred bucks, your procrastinating cost you thousands, and the choice to even buy the car it sounds like.

Nobody is losing any money buying a Tesla. As long as it takes months to order one, prices will continue to trend up. Not down. So far it is sustainable because production increases every year and demand is still rising, with no indication of slowing - even without an ev credit for the cars.

Whatever makes you feel better about missing out. You could have ordered and put a hold on the order pretty much indefinitely. If it never went your way and no bill passes you could have always canceled and only been out the $100 (order fee at the time). Instead of only costing a hundred bucks, your procrastinating cost you thousands, and the choice to even buy the car it sounds like.

Nobody is losing any money buying a Tesla. As long as it takes months to order one, prices will continue to trend up. Not down. So far it is sustainable because production increases every year and demand is still rising, with no indication of slowing - even without an ev credit for the cars.
It's risky to think about cars as any sort of long term investments. We are at a weird confluence of several different things producing a very warped market for cars along with supply chain shortages. It isn't just Tesla cars that are selling for ridiculous prices. This is industry-wide. People are deluding themselves if they think this is going to be sustained over several years. A seller's market isn't very useful if you have to replace the car you sell with another one. FOMOing over cars is the dumbest thing to do if you don't have an urgent need to buy a new car. Things are going to settle down over the next couple of years and supply is going to increase drastically.

I say all this despite having locked down my order at April prices (and waiting for tax credits). I would absolutely not purchase a Tesla at current day prices and if the tax credits don't happen, I might very well sell my reservation and just stick with my existing car for a few more years. The technology is going to be improving every year along with the competition and the current market upheaval is not going to last long term.

Reactions: BreatheEasier
It's risky to think about cars as any sort of long term investments. We are at a weird confluence of several different things producing a very warped market for cars along with supply chain shortages. It isn't just Tesla cars that are selling for ridiculous prices. This is industry-wide. People are deluding themselves if they think this is going to be sustained over several years. A seller's market isn't very useful if you have to replace the car you sell with another one. FOMOing over cars is the dumbest thing to do if you don't have an urgent need to buy a new car. Things are going to settle down over the next couple of years and supply is going to increase drastically.

I say all this despite having locked down my order at April prices (and waiting for tax credits). I would absolutely not purchase a Tesla at current day prices and if the tax credits don't happen, I might very well sell my reservation and just stick with my existing car for a few more years. The technology is going to be improving every year along with the competition and the current market upheaval is not going to last long term.
Nobody is buying a car as an investment they plan to have appreciate, one would hope.

But to use an investor mindset, you can’t try to time the market either. You make the best decision you can with the information you have now…because past performance is not indicative of future results.

We're thinking of upgrading my wife's '17 Volt with another PHEV (because we go places like Death Valley and Great Basin NP where chargers are scarcer than hen's teeth) and I stopped in our local Ford dealer to ask the internet sales mgr about inventory. He said the Escape PHEVs are really scarce and are at this point only pre-sold units. It's a good thing we don't have to upgrade at this time.

I asked him about the "markups" and he said some dealers (not theirs) do this in hopes of actually getting that additional profit once in a while and agreed that it was an unethical practice. Then he said something that sf tetruck me as very interesting. He said that all of the new EVs Ford is putting out have 0 markup from inventory and are selling them at MSRP. Ford and others are learning from what Tesla is doing with its sales.
Dealers markup all model ICE or EV , especially now(least they try to lol)