Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another round of Tesla price bumps [Nov 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, this is getting absurd. An MY now costs almost $10K more than less than a year ago? So much for making these 'more affordable'. We'll see how long demand lasts at $60K with destination, regardless of a yet unapproved tax rebate. And I'm a shareholder, and a happy MY owner, so this is not bashing Tesla. This just smells like "market adjustment" at a nationwide scale vs. independent dealer markup.

Car companies are knocking off Elon Musk and Tesla the same way they knocked off Henry Ford and the Model A. Musk is arguably the most relevant car designer and innovator since Henry Ford, the Steve Jobs of the Auto World. Nothing goes straight up but power to him! I made another grand on my MY today. You'd have to own 63 share of TSLA to realize the same profit in today's stock market, on paper. My July order has already appreciated $5K.

IMO, this is getting absurd. An MY now costs almost $10K more than less than a year ago? So much for making these 'more affordable'. We'll see how long demand lasts at $60K with destination, regardless of a yet unapproved tax rebate. And I'm a shareholder, and a happy MY owner, so this is not bashing Tesla. This just smells like "market adjustment" at a nationwide scale vs. independent dealer markup.

If you count the small $1,000 price drop in February-March 2021, it is a $9,000 price increase for the Long Range trim. The Performance trim is only a $2,000 difference from it's median price of $61K.
Tesla Model Y Base Price History (2).png

Can you really blame Tesla? With demand where it currently is and consumers paying what they're paying for used Tesla's, it would almost seem irresponsible to not increase prices.

Reactions: 907XCP and hgmichna
They will keep raising until wait times are <6months at least. Just basic supply and demand. At some point it'll crash though. Where I am, the Model Y is the Honda Accord of EVs... you see them everywhere. In time competitors will show up. The Mach-E recently became available and other competitors are showing up as well.
Honda Accord vs. Ford Focus. I know what I’m picking :)

• Funny
Reactions: mrwug
Lol, The gonna keep selling. People are paying more for used models just to get them faster. Demand is too high.

Can't wait to go check out some of the 'when is the Federal EV rebate coming?' threads.... If those folks had bought their cars earlier this year, they'd have paid almost what they will with the (still vaporware) EV rebate AND been enjoying the car for 8 months. I ordered mine in Jan, picked up in March and paid $8k less than current price - not including the fact that I paid no sales tax (another $3500 saved).

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Can you really blame Tesla? With demand where it currently is and consumers paying what they're paying for used Tesla's, it would almost seem irresponsible to not increase prices.

Nope, can't blame them. I'm 100% behind capitalism, but this is surely the ugly side. The used car market is out of control. Housing is out of control. And if you are into classic cars like I am, that market is beyond out of control. However, if you have been on this Earth long enough, you know that what goes up - especially like today's prices - will come down, without a doubt. And when it is out of control like this, the crash is usually epic. I'm thankful I'm not desperate for a house or a car right now. I feel for those who have to overspend, especially on a depreciating liability like a car. I know people who are still upside-down from the last housing bubble. Buying a used car for more that its original MSRP, you have to know going in that it will lose more resale value than a new car as soon as it leaves the lot. I have to admit I'm a little excited, though, that the housing, car, RV, and classic car market will be a buyers' market in ~24 months.

I don't think this has anything to do with greed. Supplies are tight and inflation is real -- costs are up and those need to be passed along to the consumer.
Tesla's margins are going up. The price increases aren't about component costs going up. This is about supply and demand. I have no problem with that, but let's be honest about what's going on here.