Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Safety Benefit of Electric Semis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
As traffic slowed on the highway I saw a tractor trailer in front of me slide across two lanes, barely missing cars before it slammed into the concrete barrier. The tractor remained straight and in its lane while the trailer swept the road. Then carried on like nothing happened.

Mentioned it to an auto accident forensic and he told me that truckers often use only the trailer brakes to save money if they own the tractor but not the trailer and that it cases accidents like the one I witnessed.

Since regenerative braking makes money instead of costing money, the incentives are reversed, so hopefully won’t see this happening with electric semis.

I think the safety aspect is something that will be another major reason that fleet owners will want to move to the Tesla Semi. From alerts that indicate a bad tire, to driver attention problems, speed management, etc. Just looked the annual cost of commercial truck driving accidents and found this (old data) Info that stated US cost was 93 billion in 2011!

Reactions: Olle
I think the safety aspect is something that will be another major reason that fleet owners will want to move to the Tesla Semi. From alerts that indicate a bad tire, to driver attention problems, speed management, etc. Just looked the annual cost of commercial truck driving accidents and found this (old data) Info that stated US cost was 93 billion in 2011!

91 Billion went to lawyers

In the Colorado mountains, the regenerative braking is huge. We often have accidents from truck breaks overheating and the trucks unable to slow down soon enough. And we have problems with trucks being slow (and loud) on the uphill. The Tesla Semi should solve a lot of issues.

Reactions: Olle