Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another SC cockup - any suggestions for painless remedy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time I took my car to Park Royal SC, the return was delayed by someone there driving another customer's car into mine and causing damage to a couple of panels. This was repaired, but I was without my car for an additional week.

Just last week, the heater element blew, so I took it in to be fixed. I was impressed to get a loaner and minimal delay. However, my jubilation has proved short-lived as the repair succeeded in breaking the wipers (apparently one has to disconnect a cable for wipers and it's all too easy for the technician to forget to reconnect it - I suppose we should be grateful that this guy didn't choose to take a career in surgery!). Because it wasn't raining when I collected, I only found out when I was back home - a couple of hours away.

So now what can I do? I fear that they'll say "bring it back and we'll fix it". No thanks!

The mobile service team would be ideal, but the best appointment I can get is a month away.

The car is arguably undriveable (definitely undriveable in the wet) - so do I wait for rain and then call roadside assistance? They can then tow it away to be fixed at a SC. I get the impression that they can't just send out a mobile technician.

Alternatively can I just find "someone who knows a bit about cars" to come over and fix it at my expense?

Suggestions please!

BTW I'm between Saffron Walden and Cambridge....

Try following the cable from the wipers to see where they plug in to the unplugged connector.

There’s plenty YouTube videos on how to remove the frunk panel.

Not ideal I know, but probably quickest method to get you back on the road. And saves a return to SC

I imagine driving without wipers is illegal even if its not actually raining since if it suddenly starts or you get sprayed somehow it could get very dangerous very quickly. and it will be you not Tesla who suffers the consequences.
On that basis your car is effectively undriveable. I would call roadside assistance and insist it is towed and you are given a loner. Once the problem has the potential to cost them time, effort and money for what for them is a very quick easy fix I imagine you will get a much faster fix. Or at the very least a drivable car!
Who knows a ranger may even mysteriously become available much sooner.........

Reactions: Jez_GB and ringi
They certainly do expedite service appointments for more urgent items. I'd be inclined to book the service appointment, wait an hour or two for them to actually confirm it, then hassle (via roadside assistance if no other route available) if the confirmed date isn't soon enough.

The first time I took my car to Park Royal SC, the return was delayed by someone there driving another customer's car into mine and causing damage to a couple of panels. This was repaired, but I was without my car for an additional week.

Just last week, the heater element blew, so I took it in to be fixed. I was impressed to get a loaner and minimal delay. However, my jubilation has proved short-lived as the repair succeeded in breaking the wipers (apparently one has to disconnect a cable for wipers and it's all too easy for the technician to forget to reconnect it - I suppose we should be grateful that this guy didn't choose to take a career in surgery!). Because it wasn't raining when I collected, I only found out when I was back home - a couple of hours away.

So now what can I do? I fear that they'll say "bring it back and we'll fix it". No thanks!

The mobile service team would be ideal, but the best appointment I can get is a month away.

The car is arguably undriveable (definitely undriveable in the wet) - so do I wait for rain and then call roadside assistance? They can then tow it away to be fixed at a SC. I get the impression that they can't just send out a mobile technician.

Alternatively can I just find "someone who knows a bit about cars" to come over and fix it at my expense?

Suggestions please!

BTW I'm between Saffron Walden and Cambridge....

Phone them and ask for a manager to arrange to send a Ranger as part of the existing repair not a new appointment. They want to reduce workload so will be better if they sort it now rather leave it outstanding for a month.