Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "Should I Upgrade" Question 2016 90D to 2020 Long Range X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: Should I upgrade my 2016 X 90D 65k mi to a 2020 Long Range X now or post battery day?

What's making waiting hard?
We all know the +s of a new X vs the original 2016 version which is out of warranty.

My 2016 X needs repairs (~$1500) and I'm planning to drive cross country to my family soon (pending COVID). The drive will be painful in my current X as I will charge slower (max range is only 220mi) and adds 6hrs & 8 more charging stops than the 2020X. I'll probably drive a lot more to Southern California as COVID and my dog won't allow me to easily fly.

Trade in value sucks and will suck more after I add an additional 7k+ miles on it and also pay the service $1500 which will be needed before any long distance drive. I was told the service needed will not change the trade in value, so I'm just losing it.

Still wait post battery day? Sucks Elon moved it out another month. I realize this is asking you to pull out your crystal ball, but this is the part of buying Tesla I hate...always a better version around the corner. ...or just buy more Tesla stock and let it pay for the X in the future :/

What repairs are needed on your current X?

I need to replace both upper control arms so around $1600 in repairs. There are some other software issues and small things as well. I was told that repairing everything would do nothing for my trade in value. The repairs, 65k miles on the car already and now the 5k price decrease of the X, I decided to upgrade and will deliver on Monday! Hope the new car is as good to me as my first!

Control arms for what?

min debating on the extended warranty and if it’s worth it?

The upper control arms help with the suspension. They basically said that if it breaks, I'll feel it in the steering wheel as the alignment might also go off. After searching, it seems like it's not that rare with these heavy cars. Not sure if the warranty will be worth it. I'm at 65k and other than the upper control arm, everything work well, but you never know with Tesla. The question is if the warrantee would have even covered my repair, or would they say it's "normal wear and tear."

Control arms for what?

min debating on the extended warranty and if it’s worth it?
Control arms are basically the suspension arms where they connect to the body and move up and down on an arc as the suspension travels. It is likely the control arm bushings that are failing because without the upper control arm your suspension isn’t connected to the car on the topside. The control arms themselves are cast aluminum alloy and typically are broken during impact in an accident. I circled the upper control arm in yellow and drew the car body structure in red and added little red circles where the arm connects to the body. There are lower control arms on the bottom also. For simplicity drawing the car is drawn on the front side of the suspension if you look at the steering rack but it doesn’t matter when showing the suspension. .
BD0CF351-9E5F-4AEF-B4CC-867AB4D0874A.jpeg

Last edited:
I ended up upgrading and trading in my car. The range and charging speed along with the new suspension make it soooo much better. Had a few fiascos happen trying to get a car with the 5k price drop and free supercharging, but all worked out. No regrets yet! Thanks for all your input. Now let’s see what happens on battery day...

Ok but no whining and complaining when your new X drops in value on battery day lol

Congrats though!

Reactions: X-Man
I ended up upgrading and trading in my car. The range and charging speed along with the new suspension make it soooo much better. Had a few fiascos happen trying to get a car with the 5k price drop and free supercharging, but all worked out. No regrets yet! Thanks for all your input. Now let’s see what happens on battery day...

Congrats just curious how much did Tesla offer you for the trade in? Also we’re you able to get the 5k discount and free unlimited supercharging?

Control arms are basically the suspension arms where they connect to the body and move up and down on an arc as the suspension travels. It is likely the control arm bushings that are failing because without the upper control arm your suspension isn’t connected to the car on the topside. The control arms themselves are cast aluminum alloy and typically are broken during impact in an accident. I circled the upper control arm in yellow and drew the car body structure in red and added little red circles where the arm connects to the body. There are lower control arms on the bottom also. For simplicity drawing the car is drawn on the front side of the suspension if you look at the steering rack but it doesn’t matter when showing the suspension. . View attachment 548619

I've seen a lot of the control arm issues on various forums but with older MX - was that issue fixed in newer releases?

I love this battery day fiasco! I know OP has done the deal, but when Elon says" its going to one of the biggest days in Tesla history and its going to blow our minds, it does his"
Then I think I am right to assume something is going to blow our minds! .... and is only a few weeks away.

The clue is in the statement!

What ever it is, to avoid an Osbourne effect it will be available (probably) on the next deliveries.. I can't wait to see what it is.. no wait I mean I can wait!

Reactions: mikevbf