TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another smashed window. Thanks, SF!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TechOps, Mar 7, 2018.

1. TechOps

TechOps Member

So this morning, I was reading an article from last month about the crime ring that Fremont Police busted which was exporting stolen electronics by the container-load. Bay Area car break-ins allegedly tied to international crime ring

Well apparently, the ring is not totally cracked. This afternoon, I got another smashed quarter window on my Model S. And again, they folded down the rear seat to see what was in the trunk. Because nothing was visible on the seats!

I was parked in front of the Sports Basement in SOMA. And there was a security guard in the store sitting next to the open front door, 30 feet away! Ugh.

OK, rant over. Now I am part of the 10k cars that are burgled every year in SF. 2017 - check. 2018 - check.

2. SSedan

SSedan Member

I know folks that leave their keys in their car........but am a long ways from California.
    Maybe just park next to some of the feces and needles and they wont want to stand in that to reach the window.

3. TechOps

TechOps Member

4. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Condolences.

Not that it helps with the current situation, but when you get the glass replaced and re-tinted, do consider having the C-Bond product used during the addition of the film (tinting). It makes the glass more annoying to get through. There are also commercial/residential tint (film) products that make getting through windows a LOT more difficult.

Lemme see if I can dig up some links from Extreme Autowerks, who I recommend highly for their tint and wrap work. Thing is, they're in Cerritos and while I'd recommend the drive (could make a Disneyland trip out of it, for example, or catch some other event - just don't plan on seeing the Rams - tickets evidently now *start* at $375, which is just appalling - was just announced today - hopefully that's some sort of season package (which top out at $100,000 now) but I'm not holding my breath), well, it's not local is my point.

So those triangle windows are small. I'd consider a) C-Bond (I), or b) C-Bond and a scrap of that commercial film just for the triangle windows. It's even money whether the thief will try to smash your other windows, but the way a lot of those guys operate, they pop and go - which is to say they'll *probably* just move on to the next Tesla or Porsche in the parking lot rather than linger over yours. I've never heard of anyone putting the more robust commercial film on *all* of the car windows, but for those triangle windows it makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, the links. That's Bing (the owner) at first with the baseball bat - they worked on that door for a good 20 minutes and as you can see... However, that door also had the commercial tint/film along with the C-Bond product. There is also another C-Bond product (C-Bond II, I think) that in conjunction with some other materials is quite literally bulletproof, but I'd imagine that's overkill.

If you email them with questions they do get right back to you.

All of that said, I hope you find a C-Bond authorized dealer in the Bay Area to make things simpler. Break-ins just suck.

C-Bond

Door video

Yelp

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

When I'm in SF, I'm going to put up the signs I use when I leave my dogs in the car. Even though they're not in the car, it might deter someone if they think a large loud dog might take a bite out of their hand.

7. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Put wires in the window and connect it to the battery pack? ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Really sorry to hear this. I hope you're able to get it fixed quickly.

One question: did you have the parcel shelf covering your trunk area? Ever since my window got smashed, I've left the parcel shelf at home, to show that there's nothing in the trunk. Not sure if it's a foolproof strategy, but I did park in a lot in the South Bay that got hit up about a month ago, and my car was spared.

9. RedMS

RedMS Member

Such a beautiful city. What a shame...

• Disagree x 1
  10. TechOps

TechOps Member

Thanks for the creative suggestions, folks! And for the condeolences. Although, since this is the second time this happened, I'm kind of untouched by it. Plus it was such a beautiful sunny warm day, I didn't really care that much! LOL. I have a new car insurance with $0 glass deductible so.

The biggest annoyance is that the brightwork (external trim) goes from that tiny quarter window ALL the way around the top of the window to the A pillar. It's kind of a design flaw, at least when it comes to replacing the quarter window. The window is a $217 part, and the trim is a $648 part.

No.. after the first window was replaced, I used to keep the parcel shelf flipped up. But now the windows are tinted dark enough that you can't really see through very well so I don't think it would have really helped. Keep in mind that since I live in SF, and often do have things in my trunk, leaving the parcel shelf out probably would attract more theft than deter it.

The tint actually held the window together a lot better this time. The hole was only big enough to put a fist through -- it was just a junkie looking for something he could quickly grab out of the trunk.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Sorry to hear about your break in. :(
    I was never under the idea that suddenly car break ins in SF would suddenly drop to 0 or near 0 due to the above.

Besides the story I posted from my phone earlier. The subject of SF car burglaries comes up all the time on NBC Bay Area News, since I at least kinda watch it almost every day.

If you can, you may want to get rid of your tints and instead take every possible step to show you have nothing of value in your car. As I posted in another forum the other night (w/typos fixed):

"Another coworker had his car broken into in SF (he doesn't live there) a few years back. They broke in and stole a broken Macbook Pro in the trunk, which he said was completely not visible from the outside (don't know the style of car he drove but he said it was a Corolla, so I'm presuming it's not an ancient hatchback version). He was planning to take it to Best Buy as e-waste."

He said that if he could've, he would've just given the thief the broken laptop instead of having that happen to him.

From the news story I posted earlier, it sounds truly epidemic there and since so few of those thieves are caught, it seems like it's very low risk to the thieves and the consequences aren't severe. They just go back to their evil ways.

I too worry about car break-ins when I visit SF in my car, which is not often.

12. TechOps

TechOps Member

Not sure if you were serious or joking, but no, I won't be modifying my vehicle and removing the tint just to show thieves there is nothing inside. I *never* leave anything visible in the passenger cabin of my vehicle. I'm not going to completely empty my trunk every day and leave the parcel shelf out. That's just silly. My insurance company can deal with replacing the broken glass. I park it every night inside a garage so the danger is really just where the car is parked during the day. Can't remove all risk.

Not sure what the story above is intended to illustrate.. if the laptop was out of sight in the trunk, it might as well just not have been there. The car would have been broken into in an exploratory manner anyway, just as the last 2 break ins I experienced in my Tesla. Nothing was stolen from my vehicle either time. The fact that your friend would have given it to the people that broke into his car is a bit bizarre to me. It's like my friend who goes to give socks and blankets to the vagrants that create tent encampments under the freeway extension -- then complained when his car was broken into nearby. I mean, nice thought, but it doesn't work that way.

FYI, I have lived in the city of SF for 19 years. I think I may have had one window broken like 17 years ago... can't even remember. Until these 2 break-ins in the Tesla, starting 5 days after I bought the Model S. Clearly, Teslas are a target.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I was serious, unfortunately. :( I had my car broken into over maybe two decades ago when I was visiting in Vancouver BC. A guy I worked with also had the same thing happen to him up there (before me). He had his Apple Newton stolen.

When I told my story to a Canadian coworker, his response was Vancouver is the car theft capital of the country. He says if he's up there, he takes everything out and puts it in the trunk. He takes everything out of the glove box and compartments and leaves them open, to show there's nothing there.

It was more an FYI that some thieves apparently break-in anyway. As for give, I don't think I conveyed what he said right. Essentially, if he could somehow go back in time and somehow encounter the thief before the break in, he'd just open the trunk and hand over the laptop to the thief. That's preferable to a busted window + stolen broken worthless laptop.

As for Teslas being a target, that might be. :( They figure the person has money and may have something valuable inside. :(

14. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

• Funny x 1
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I realized I posted the wrong URL w/a video only. I meant to post Car Break-Ins Hit ‘Epidemic’ Levels in San Francisco

It was actually nearly 30K car break-ins reported to SF police in 2017. And from the story
    Pretty low risk for the burglars, eh? :(

16. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Unfortunately it isn't just San Fran although it sounds like it is at crazy levels. I've had 3 car windows smashed in the last 5 years. Twice in Orlando and once in Jacksonville. One time was in a very nice gated community and one time in the physician parking lot of a hospital which have cameras and security.

All 3 times they stole nothing but caused over $1000 worth of damage. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to leave your car unlocked. :(