Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Soft Top problem (solved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
So a few days ago, when putting the soft top back on, it didn't want to go into place. I discovered that the white plastic end cap that fits over the metal spring-loaded pin which locks the soft top in place had come partially off, and had gotten smooshed (highly technical term here). It no longer fit into the slot, and thus the top was not fully secured. I was near Tesla, so I dropped in. They informed me they had no parts, only the entire top available for a mere $1,000. I went home and with the help of a hair dryer and pliers, got the still damaged plastic part back on. The next day after several calls I found a Lotus dealership in New Jersey that had two of the end caps in stock. Only $3.88 each (plus shipping) and now all is well. If they had not had any in stock they would have had to come from England, BTW. The moral of this story is: occasionally look and check that all four end caps are all the way on the metal spring loaded pin! Might save yourself a hassle. Also, the Lotus part# is A116V0150H, should you need one.